Already Hop Naysayers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Already Hop Naysayers

orangecuse said:
Indeed. I know it's still early, but I don't see that much changing moving forward either. It's looking more and more like those 3 days in the Bahamas was an aberration. :(

It looked like this team could win 20-22 games. I'd say it's more like 17-19 now.

It looked like this team could win 20-22 games. I'd say it's more like 17-19 now.

It did...then. I can see this team at .500 (overall) when it's all said and done. Bilas' whiny imitation of JB in the Bahamas about "not beating anyone" if shots don't drop is certainly true. Though today, even we had hit a few more, we still may have lost due to our horrendous D.

This isn't Mike's team.

We are seeing where a guy who was projected to be a 3 year plus guy is gone, we lost 2 other players early, and frankly swung and missed with a couple of kids.

That being said both this game and Wisconsin, bury a few high percentage shots that were taken and we win. Upside I hope is the frosh developing.

The zone will be played less and less when Hop takes over.
He better stop being the players pal then because it looks like now he's one of the boy's

Forget the Bahamas that was like playing at the CYO Court.

RoysRunts said:
He better stop being the players pal then because it looks like now he's one of the boy's Forget the Bahamas that was like playing at the CYO Court.

That's a concern.

Perhaps he's just a players' coach.

Two teams shot 50% against us can't jump on Hop not being ready to adjust defensively without facts. Maybe we just played 2 teams that shoot the ball well. I know Gtown does.
I like the thought of good cop bad cop how is the assistant supposed to go back to assistant 6 games from now. The ncaa made a mess of this one. They should have just banned all Syracuse coaches for 9 games.
I have seen this with past syracuse teams they do something so good one game then so bad the next I begin to wonder if they practice without something over a 2-3 day span.

I think Howard showed he can play with this team today.
Hes seperating from Kaleb and fast. The ball worked inside with better looks when he was out there. Its noticeable. Nice having a true point imo.
I have no problem with him getting 10-15 minutes per game this year. Hes beginning to earn it.

Last edited:
just got back from the game--very simply---they were not ready to play, had no energy, lazy, poor defense---yes st.johns was red hot, hop did not have clue on his substitutions. waited way to long to press to wake up his own team. totally not impressed with hop at all. VERY disappointed. team had no confidence. i give particulars ---but to sad to comment. i have not read any thing else on this board bottom line is they stunk and so did hopkins. frank howard needs more minutes, lydon did not take a shot in the second half until approx 9 minute mark

All teams miss lay ups and FT's. The putrid Defense, rebounding and lack of adjustments are not a good sign for Hop. It doesn't even feel like we've had a coach out there the past few weeks.

All teams miss lay ups and FT's. The putrid Defense, rebounding and lack of adjustments are not a good sign for Hop. It doesn't even feel like we've had a coach out there the past few weeks.
I take 'the past few weeks' to include at least one game that JB coached, since Hop's 3 games have taken place in the last 8 days. Do you have a problem with JB, too?

just got back from the game--very simply---they were not ready to play, had no energy, lazy, poor defense---yes st.johns was red hot, hop did not have clue on his substitutions. waited way to long to press to wake up his own team. totally not impressed with hop at all. VERY disappointed. team had no confidence. i give particulars ---but to sad to comment. i have not read any thing else on this board bottom line is they stunk and so did hopkins. frank howard needs more minutes, lydon did not take a shot in the second half until approx 9 minute mark
Totally agree.

It's pretty bad. I'm much more concerned about the future than I was before these last three games.

he's the next logical progression question. lets say hop isn't a good coach and there are some glaring weaknesses in his gamecalling. how long a rope does he get when he takes over for real? 1 year? 2, 3, 5?

Hop isn't distinguishing himself but theres no indication that JB would do any better. With JB they lost to a Wisconsin team that is just as bad or worse than the johnnies. People are saying hop should have pressed sooner. When has JB ever gone to a press before the game was out of reach? If anything hop was more proactive in this regard. He hasn't figured out a good subbing pattern but that's really all I can take away from this.

19/31 is 61%. We aren't good enough to beat anyone in the ACC, Big East or Big Ten with that percentage. That said, 19% from the 3 is unacceptable too. Taken together, those two stats are why we lost...

Sometimes teams will make shots. At least 5 of those threes were not defendable. It happens...

There is no reason why we can't be an 85% free throw percentage team. That would of added 7 points to our total. That alone changes the dynamic of the game.
For a team ,85% from the line is an exceptional percentage.

he's the next logical progression question. lets say hop isn't a good coach and there are some glaring weaknesses in his gamecalling. how long a rope does he get when he takes over for real? 1 year? 2, 3, 5?

I think as an alum, his long tenure as an assistant, dedication and asset to the university...at least 3 years imo.

If we continue to accept mediocrity, we will never see improvement. I hope we can both agree that 60% sucks...and 70% sucks a little less...
NCAA team record for FT shooting by a team is 82.2%, set by Harvard in 1984.

And you want us to shoot 85%?

Yeah, no reason we can't obliterate a record that's been standing for over 30 years.

We were cold and still made it a game. We lost because we did not cover their two main three point shooters. Inexcusable.

I remember the Bernie games in 2001. Hop is going through the same things. These are kids. I dont care how much they love Hop he's still the substitute teacher. I won't get too high or too low on Hop because of these games. If anything, I think it will help when he takes over for real.

I get the scapegoat thing. We're frustrated. The performances have been embarrassing. BUT we need to inject some rational thought here. I could understand the pitchforks if we started to tank after Hop filled in... but how quickly we forget we were all lambasting JB for his coaching effort against a sh!!ty Wisconsin squad. How quickly we forget all the doom and gloom that plagued the forum before Atlantis. The team that lost to St Johns is the same baggage that had to rally to beat St Bonaventure in the 2nd half.

This is an NIT team at best right now. In hindsight Atlantis was overhyped. UConn and A&M aren't looking hot.

The last thing we need to be concerned about is whether Hop can lead this team. It's not his team. It's not strategy. He's still the substitute teacher. He hasn't distinguished himself, but aside from substitution patterns... what exactly did he fail at? Not pressing sooner? JB would have waited until they were down 20 with 5 minutes left. Give it a rest. JB would have also extended the zone after halftime. When you're running a scheme with ill-suited personnel, "adjustments" are just trading one poison for another. JB and Hop should call Jay Wright for advice on playing with a smaller lineup. I guarantee Wright's advice will be a bit more creative than, "you just have to make more shots".

The issues should be separated.
Only some involve the coach.

1. Other than the backcourt...this is a VERY inexperienced team.

2. We have no real point guard to create on offense.

3. Our interior players are limited.
Rebounding is a huge problem.
That seems unlikely to change.

4. No coach can make free throws or hit open shots for his players.
We were DREADFUL the past few games...and that's being kind.

5. The zone defense against SJU was non-existent.
Partly at least, the coach gets some blame here.
We needed to adjust and get out on their shooters. We didn't.
We started pressing too late.
But even though it was successful, if we keep missing shots the value is lost.

6. Why has Lydon all but disappeared from our offense?
The guy is 6-9 and can shoot the 3.
Might it be a good idea to get him some shots?
This one is also on the coach.

7. Worst of all: WHERE IS THE INTENSITY?
Only Gbinje seems to have it successfully all game.
Richardson at times.
And Cooney shows it but to little avail.

We were embarrassed by a school without any great talent.
But they played a team game and outplayed us in every aspect except turnovers.
They wanted this more than we did and it showed.
(And it really helps when you shoot 50% from 3).

The issues should be separated.
Only some involve the coach.
1. Other than the backcourt...this is a VERY inexperienced team.
So other than half the starting lineup, this is a young team. Alrighty then. By 2015 standards, this is a relatively "old" team when you compare to other P5 schools that deal with NBA attrition.

2. We have no real point guard to create on offense.
Many teams manage to be successful without a "true" point guard. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

3. Our interior players are limited.
Rebounding is a huge problem.
That seems unlikely to change.
Partly a consequence of scheme. Partly on coaches to not be in this predicament with personnel.

4. No coach can make free throws for his players.
On coaches to stress free throws in practice. It's been stated by several insiders that FT accountability is more or less an afterthought.

5. The zone defense against SJU was non-existent.
Bad personnel. Coaching adjustments just traded one liability for another. Are we supposed to accept that a 2-3 is our best chance to win with a small, undersized lineup? If our best chance to win means being outscored by St. Johns then we might as well fold up now and try again next year.

In spite of that, we hit our free throws we win...the problem is our lack of focus and lapse of concentration. TC and TR are the primary culprits.
Frankly, I wouldn't bet money on an SU team to "hit their free throws". That hasn't been fixed in my lifetime. Maybe changing up the player personnel or adjusting the defense would be better. Aw ... who the hell am I kidding ... that won't change either. Just gotta keep chucking 3s til ours go in more than theirs.

Forget the layups...that's subjective. Focus on the shitty free throw shooting. Two games this year are loses because we missed gimmes. Lack of focus and no understanding of fundamentals is the problem with this team.
Just how subjective is it when Cooney's been blowing the same layups for three straight years? As to the free throws...bring back the psychiatrist.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom