Alum or community member? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Alum or community member?

Grew up and lived in the Syracuse suburbs for 30 years. Unfortunately Syracuse didn't have baseball or cybersecurity so I couldn't attend for sports or academics.

Moved to Richmond VA in 2013.

Alum that grew up in the Mohawk Valley and has lived in Syracuse and Baldwinsville the past 15 years.
Where in Mohawk Valley

Both. Father was an alum and worked for the university for most of his career. Did my masters degree at SU more years ago than I care to admit. Married a local girl whose entire family are huge SU fans. We are raising our daughter to be the same.

Lifelong fan and a SUNY alum. I can remember being a fan since 77 and listening to them on the radio. My first game I attended was 1980 w/ my dad against Kansas. I love those early 80's teams, they didn't do well but they got me hooked into being a lifelong fan. I like to think all of the money I have invested through the years, 20+ years as a football STH of 3 seats, merch, traveling to away games and bowl games and many, many basketball games. I like to think I "paid" my due's to the university. I live and die with SU football like all on this board.

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15 year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet.

So I chose to attend Lemoyne.
One of my brother in law's favorite quotes!

Oh yeah, I grew up in DeWitt and saw my first hoops games in Manley. My first football game was the last game at Archbold. I decided that I didn't want to go to school in town and went to Ithaca instead. Sometimes I regret not going to SU. My wife got her Master's at Newhouse. If you ask most people I work with, or my students here in Jersey, most assume I went to SU based on the Cuse flag, banners (ala Varsity) and other SU items around my classroom. I've had football season tickets for 21 of the last 23 years. It would've been longer if it was easier and cheaper to have come up from Georgia when I lived in Atlanta.

Grew up about an hour southeast of Syracuse, right on the border of Section III and Section IV. Passed on a few opportunities to play D3 ball to attend my dream school Syracuse. Lived a few places after school and currently in the beautiful state of Utah representing the Orange(men). And yes, I only have one wife

l grew up in a small town in Columbia county. My whole family loved sports. I was 6 or 7 when a asked my dad why there were no college teams from NY. ( There was no ESPN in the sixties.). He said there was, it’s Syracuse. I have been a fan ever since. Not an alum; but I was proud of my niece who is one.

Grew up in Canandaigua, whole family huge 'Cuse fans forever it seems!! Season tickets and all$$

Born and raised in Syracuse. West suburbs (Taunton/Fairmont area). West Genny and RIT grad. Been living in the Atlanta area since 1994. Mom worked at SU in the 80s. Some of my fondest memories are going to SU football and basketball games with my Dad in the 80s.

Townie from East Syracuse, daughter attended grad school at SU. Oswego undergrad, Potsdam Masters , Retired Social Studies Teacher. Fanatical STH . First game attended 1968. Live in Binghamton now.

Last edited:
Double alum (‘73,’75), three sons and a daughter in law SU Law. Grew up in Dutchess now long time Westchester resident. Earliest SU sports memory listening to Bob Verga and Duke vs Bing and Boeheim in ‘66 NCAA’s.

Being the son of a dairyman, Im an example of the rare baby that was born in Hamilton’s community general hospital. Grew up in the southern Oneida county countryside, an area I never wanted to leave in my youth. Accepted to my dream school in Cuse, got cold feet for several reasons and went to Bonaventure, which was a great choice for me in the end. Enlisted in the Army after college, spent 6 years at Bragg (half overseas) and have worked civil service at a local military base since my medical separation. I’ve now been in North Carolina for about as long as I lived in NY.

I still have yet to go to a game of any kind in the dome other than HS playoffs. No one in my immediate family were sports fans, and the farm was the priority. My initial fascination with sports came that fateful couple of years in 86 and 87. I don’t know how one could grow up in the area during that time and not be Cuse fans. The move to the ACC has allowed me and my family the opportunities to attend several games over the years here in NC.

Cautionary tale: be careful about raising ardent Cuse fans from a distance because you might be looking at a daunting trip. My oldest is now a junior in the engineering department. He only applied to Cuse and NIT State, and NCSU was never a serious consideration in his mind. My hope was to get up for a family weekend, but COVID protocols his first two years, prevented us from going up. Maybe next year…

I grew up in Northern New York and then came to Le Moyne for college. My friends there who were locals were SU fans and I never understood how they could attend one college and be so rabid about another. Well, I'm still in Syracuse and now I get it. Season ticket holder since 98 with a small hiatus when my kids were very young. Local pride.