Alum or community member? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Alum or community member?

SU Alumni as is my wife but I have a couple of degrees from other schools too.

Grew up mostly in Liverpool, SU alumni in the loosest definition, college in Ohio. Syracuse, Boston, Clearwater, Chicago post graduation, been in Cincy since 88. I follow a lot of teams but definitely more orange and blue SU gear than anything else. I've met Syracuse fans that have never set foot in CNY. LGO!

Alum and community member!​

896CEB2D-5758-4077-BB27-205C7098C7C0.png

Last edited:
Born a block away from campus at Crouse Hospital. Grew up on the South Side listening to Joel Mareiniss on a transistor radio calling Syracuse games. My wife and I went to different SUNY schools undergrad and both Grad School at SU. Raised our kids in the FM area before transferring to NC 20 yrs ago. Great to get to see SU teams play down here since joining the ACC. Will always bleed Orange.

Last edited:

Did you know some common hand gestures are offensive in other countries?

The “devil horns” hand sign seen thrown up at rock concerts can be offensive in other countries. In European and South American countries, this hand sign implies that a man’s wife has been unfaithful. The meaning dates back to the etymological meaning of “cuckold” which is “horned” in Italian, Spanish, and Greek. All of this to inform you that I am a townie, born and breed.

1987 alum from Kingston in the Hudson Valley/Catskills. Florida resident now outside Tampa. Been hooked on SYR since watching the final game in Archbold vs. Navy on ABC where Joe Morris ran wild. I think Chris Schenkel was on the call. I remember watching SYR football games in the early 80s rebroadcast on Sunday mornings on the PBS station out of Albany. The games came on at 11am Sundays. Dave Cohen and Dale Drypoulcher were on the call.

Born in Rochester, but moved away when I was a kid. Following Cuse BBall and Football was basically my one ongoing connection to my hometown.

It helped that I went to school at a place that didn’t have D1 sports, and didn’t have a football team at all. No fandom dilution from my alma mater.

Townie through and through. But Connected to the program since being looked at/recruited out of hs then personally knowing bunch of coaches.

Almost went there(twice), played elsewhere, had a nice run, but best times of youth and life surrounded going to SU games with family/friends, tailgating etc. Forged forever bonds even though many of the faces have changed.

NIL connected us even more like never before. No matter the drama and changes within the program it looks like a forever connection.

Neither an alumni or a community member. None of my degrees were obtained at Syracuse and I moved out of Upstate New York thirty years ago.

Neither. I’ve lived in Minnesota my whole 50 years and have only been to Syracuse twice in my life. The two main reasons I’m a die hard fan is because I love the color orange and Pearl.
That's fascinating. Seriously. I love how one player got you hooked on a school from afar. Good for you for that kind of loyalty after all this time.

That's fascinating. Seriously. I love how one player got you hooked on a school from afar. Good for you for that kind of loyalty after all this time.
Neither an alumni or a community member. None of my degrees were obtained at Syracuse and I moved out of Upstate New York thirty years ago.
Oh! How's it going to look for you during the Pinstripe Bowl? Any conflicts with family or friends that are Minny fans?

townie--- daughter went to maxwell and syracuse law went to my first game when i was 10 and have gone ever since. moved out of syracuse in 1972. have had season tickets with my son for any years. we still have them.
did graduate school at rutgers and remained in nj until 2010.
jersey shore (lbi) is great, however i miss the finger lakes . still rent a place every year for a week. live in bethlehem pa since 2012. nice town.
still have family in syracuse and visit often, and yes, born and raised in tipphill ----syracuse is a wonnderful place

My dad grew up in Syracuse. Grandparents lived a few houses down the street from Coach Ben. They took me to a few games at Archbold in early 70s. I started following Bball when my dad and grandfather got all excited over the final four run in 75. Ive been a fan ever since.
My younger son attended SU 2017-2021.

I’m a local, but my grandfather, dad, and brother all went to SU. I went to play college hoops elsewhere (wasn’t SU level). Have had season tickets for both football and basketball with family who have had them since the Dome opened and before that. I started going to games in 87. What a year to become a Syracuse fan. 11-0 with 1 to go and crying myself to sleep when we lost to Indiana in the final. It was a great time to be a Syracuse fan and took it all for granted. I thought it was always going to be like that.

I moved to CNY from Connecticut in 1985 when I was 8. Coming from an area that didn’t care at all about college sports to an area that was crazy about them was contagious. I remember going to SU basketball watch parties immediately. The Gtown and St John’s game’s people were going crazy packed inside someone’s living room. I was instantly hooked.

Soon after that SU football would rise as a National power. I remember my dad getting GE tickets and the Dome being electric. I was now hooked on SU football. He’d take me to a couple games a year and it was the highlight of my falls as a kid.

I really took for granted those years as an SU fan. I assumed they would be good in both sports forever because that’s all I knew for a long time. I now saver every win over anyone.