Alumni donations | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Alumni donations

5) we haven't found a unicorn donor who is worth billions and finds athletics a worthwhile investment. T. Boone Pickens/Phil Knight are the reasons Ok St and Oregon have risen from the ashes. Two people. I've always said that Syracuse should try and educate their most wealthy alum, Al-Waleed bin Talal to make a sizeable donation to SU Athletics.

**I'm being very sarcastic here. I'd rather Marty Whitman donating money to the management school, Newhouse family donating to the communications school than someone donating an obnoxious amount of money to another athletic facility. I went to Syracuse so I have a specific regard for how the school does academically. I love that they are in the amateur athletic business as well but for the mega donors, spend on the school vs the athletics.
i have a tough time justifying charitable spending directed towards a wealthy institution with all the terrible things out there i could donate too. if i think it benefits me, then sure - i spend lots of money to benefit me. ME FIRST. but when it comes to charity, it's just hard to justify

I'm an alum who donates monthly. It's automated and hits my credit card, and I rarely think about it. It was easy to setup.

In my opinion, SU doesn't do enough to promote this option that they offer. For the donor it's good for cash flow. For the school, it's good for predictable ongoing revenue without having to go back each year and say open your checkbook please. But I'm not privy to how much they'd have to spend to promote it and what return they realistically think they can get.
that is the way to do it. when was the last time i watched hulu? doc mcstuffins not withstanding, i don't need that. but every month i pay them and i never think about it

I still get Georgetown emails from one basketball purchase. The unsubscribe button doesn't work because they're a holes.

As llandz said, you can easily find it on your own (as I did), but that's not going to bring in the numbers.

Find 5,000 alums to give $100 per month. End of the year, you'll get more revenue than the old Big East was giving out. The odds are they're not going to turn off the subscription because it doesn't hit the personal budget in such a big chunk. That's why the entire business world has moved to subscription models.
This^^^

My cocktail napkin math says we could raise $100m in 30 yr debt at 4.5% interest and pay it all off including interest with 5000 donors giving $100/month.

This would be roughly half of the money needed from the "small fries"

As an aside, I note that Syracuse is charging parents a $40 registration fee for parents weekend. I was astounded when I saw this.

As an aside, I note that Syracuse is charging parents a $40 registration fee for parents weekend. I was astounded when I saw this.
Way to build a solid base...wow

The $40 is for a parking permit good for the entire weekend, including the Clemson game,

Is that uncommon? Do you have to pay for other things too, or does that get you access to various events and whatnot?

Is that uncommon? Do you have to pay for other things too, or does that get you access to various events and whatnot?

It gets you breakfast with your kid’s school’s dean on and skytop parking for the weekend I think. I just that it was a tad cheesy to add the $40 on top of the $63k per annum

It gets you breakfast with your kid’s school’s dean on and skytop parking for the weekend I think. I just that it was a tad cheesy to add the $40 on top of the $63k per annum

I don't think that's unusual though. I know that we charge parents for family weekend at our school as well. Part of it has to do with catering numbers and whatnot. If you make things free, then people sign up for various events but don't show up because they don't feel compelled to go. Charge them a few bucks and it helps you get a better feel for who will actually show up.

I don't think that's unusual though. I know that we charge parents for family weekend at our school as well. Part of it has to do with catering numbers and whatnot. If you make things free, then people sign up for various events but don't show up because they don't feel compelled to go. Charge them a few bucks and it helps you get a better feel for who will actually show up.

Which of course is one of many reasons SU should never make basketball and football tickets free for students.

Have to say, though, this fee struck me as unusual.

Nickel and dime them for everything. $4 bottled water, $1 pay toilets, $75 sensitivity fee, $25 comfort fee, $30 convenience charge, $18 hospitality fee, $79 access fee, $45 disability compliance surcharge. Be cheap and don't be ashamed of it.

Nickel and dime them for everything. $4 bottled water, $1 pay toilets, $75 sensitivity fee, $25 comfort fee, $30 convenience charge, $18 hospitality fee, $79 access fee, $45 disability compliance surcharge. Be cheap and don't be ashamed of it.
Sign me up for the $1 toilets.

They have them through Germany (1 Euro) and the facilities are like a different world versus the US

Sign me up for the $1 toilets.

They have them through Germany (1 Euro) and the facilities are like a different world versus the US
Sure. Give me a buck and pick a tree. Bushes are $1.50.

I still get Georgetown emails from one basketball purchase. The unsubscribe button
doesn't work because they're a holes.

As llandz said, you can easily find it on your own (as I did), but that's not going to bring in the numbers.

Find 5,000 alums to give $100 per month. End of the year, you'll get more revenue than the old Big East was giving out. The odds are they're not going to turn off the subscription because it doesn't hit the personal budget in such a big chunk. That's why the entire business world has moved to subscription models.

Not an SU grad, but proving your point, I do a small quarterly donation to SUNY Buffalo and completely forgot about it until you just mentioned that.

(deleted my last post where i quoted the wrong post)

Might have to wait a little bit longer for that big donation...

10 Princes & 38 Ministers arrested on assorted corruption charges!

Only if you can donate 6 figures. Otherwise it’s not.

Not at all. I don’t donate that and have gotten great ACC tourney seats and great tickets for the Dance. Honestly too good.