Alumni donations | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Alumni donations

This.

I had this conversation with an Orange Club person last winter. I've donated in the past but never receive any type of renewal notice or anything like that. I do receive cold calls from the school itself once in a while but don't like to use them but I want to make sure I get my Orange Club points. You almost have to want to really contribute to make it happen.

That's a little different from my experience with the Orange Club. I always get an email when it gets close to the deadline to make the annual contribution to receive benefits.

I graduated in 1995 and married someone I met at SU. I was in marching band and was a director of the Sour Sitrus Society. I had football season tickets for 9 years despite living 300 miles away in CT. I work for a major media company and have returned to campus a number of times to guest lecture. I am an alumni contact for the Newhouse School and regularly talk to graduating students. I receive a constant flow of info from SU, including donation solicitations for the General Fund, Newhouse and Crouse College, my wife's school.

And yet, I have never been contacted by the Athletic Department.

Not a single time in 22 years post-graduation.

So I'm going to assume that their fundraising process is utterly broken.

I think I know who you should talk to. You might know him...

I have seen some numbers lately. Syracuse ranks dead last in the ACC in percentage of alumni that are athletic department donors. And the percentage of football Season ticket holders who contribute to the Orange Club (including preferred seating) is abysmally low. Seems like the reworking of the preferred plans was an abject failure.

I have seen some numbers lately. Syracuse ranks dead last in the ACC in percentage of alumni that are athletic department donors. And the percentage of football Season ticket holders who contribute to the Orange Club (including preferred seating) is abysmally low. Seems like the reworking of the preferred plans was an abject failure.

There are so many reasons why but I feel like most of them revolve around the ROI attending SU at 60k per annum, the ranking of the school these days (seems to drop every year) and the football team being mediocre at best. For me, the cost of going to SU is just onerous for most people. At the state colleges, they are much more affordable. SU has structural problems that don't even get to the athletic part but I think it weighs on rank and file and their decision to donate to an athletic dept.

There are so many reasons why but I feel like most of them revolve around the ROI attending SU at 60k per annum, the ranking of the school these days (seems to drop every year) and the football team being mediocre at best. For me, the cost of going to SU is just onerous for most people. At the state colleges, they are much more affordable. SU has structural problems that don't even get to the athletic part but I think it weighs on rank and file and their decision to donate to an athletic dept.

Grads move far away and aren't communicated with. No one, literally no one gives a damn about school rankings when our hoop players are dunking on Duke and Georgetown.

School has a ton of fans, need to be converted to donors.

Again - the chain was Jake who was from a different era of donor, DG - who was more interested in hanging out with Derrick Coleman and Billy Owens and having a few whales float the boat, Coyle - who came, killed Shafer and left, now JW, who's been there a year.

read on here often that SU does not have strong alumni support in terms of donors. I agree but am curious as to why? IMHO when people don't give back at some level it comes down to 4 things.

1) people don't have fond memories of their time spent in college
2) alums are not experiencing the success in their career and don't have the cash
3) the school has alienated the alum in some manner that makes them not want to give
4) the University in question has a horrible plan or execution in terms of securing said funds

Where in everyone's opinion is SU dropping the ball on cultivating donors?

5. and probably by far - it takes a long time to repay student loans because syracuse doesnt have a very good financial aid/scholarship program and its significantly more expensive than most power schools.

5. and probably by far - it takes a long time to repay student loans because syracuse doesnt have a very good financial aid/scholarship program and its significantly more expensive than most power schools.

The discount rate at SU usually hovers around 40-50%, which I'd say is pretty much on-par with comparable private universities. Don't think there's any issue with the financial aid/scholarship program. Now you could make a case that the actual tuition cost is too high, based on the product, but it is more or less in line with their peers.

Culturally this site had compared ourselves to places like Georgetown and BC. Now we're swimming with the sharks like Clemson and Tobacco Road.

I think it's a couple of things. Our grads pretty much immediately scatter after graduation to major cities 6 plus hours away where they get absorbed into bigger things. Unlike a lot of schools in NC where the Triangle, etc college sports culture dominates or places like Clemson where that's your complete identity.

Yes, but that situation isn't unique to Syracuse.

I got my undergraduate degree at Colgate; it's safe to say no one stays in Madison County after graduation and most kids head to bigger cities for bigger things. Awfully similar to SU. But Colgate's giving rate is over 50% and it seems to me that alumni are much more engaged, despite not having the same connection via athletics. Why?

Pros could answer this better than I could, but I think the OP's four questions are a good jumping-off point.

I give to two schools, Colgate and another school to which I have a family connection. Aside from my non-preferred hoops and football tickets, I don't give to SU, where I got my law degree. A lot of the reasons discussed by others resonate with me. SU just doesn't make itself look like a worthy recipient, obnoxious as that sounds.

I got my undergraduate degree at Colgate; it's safe to say no one stays in Madison County after graduation and most kids head to bigger cities for bigger things. Awfully similar to SU. But Colgate's giving rate is over 50% and it seems to me that alumni are much more engaged, despite not having the same connection via athletics. Why?

Pros could answer this better than I could, but I think the OP's four questions are a good jumping-off point.

I give to two schools, Colgate and another school to which I have a family connection. Aside from my non-preferred hoops and football tickets, I don't give to SU, where I got my law degree. A lot of the reasons discussed by others resonate with me. SU just doesn't make itself look like a worthy recipient, obnoxious as that sounds.

Clearly we have no history of asking on the sports side. Like there's not even a budget # for it.

I pay taxes, I got what I paid for. #%k those people in Houston and Florida.
Did you really just compare giving money for X Boxes in locker rooms at a private University that rakes in millions tax free to assisting people who are left homeless by a natural disasters?
Might want to rethink your priorities on that one.

Interestingly enough, I've received 2 emails from Mizzou recently just from going to the 1 football game there vs SU 5 years ago. No idea why I haven't unsubscribed, but just thought that was interesting after reading your post.

I get more emails and solicitations from UVA in a month because of the 1 away football game I attended in 2015 than I get from SU in a year, and I was an SU season ticket holder and bought multiple game packs for family for Xmas.

I hear from SU maybe once per year directly and it's only to see if I want to renew my football season tickets and then a few sporadic emails. I get weekly UVA emails about upcoming games, events, etc.

List of colleges and universities in the United States by endowment - Wikipedia

Wish this list was actually by endowment $ instead of by alphabet. Too lazy to download and sort it myself.
Click on the arrow in the column header in the column you want to sort by. Can sort ascending or descending. (HINT: we're closer to the bottom of that list than to the top. But still ahead of Rutgers! ;) )

View attachment 110514
When it comes to endowments, Harvard is always at the top of that list and all the Texas schools are funded by oil royalties paid by the companies to the state.

I get more emails and solicitations from UVA in a month because of the 1 away football game I attended in 2015 than I get from SU in a year, and I was an SU season ticket holder and bought multiple game packs for family for Xmas.

I hear from SU maybe once per year directly and it's only to see if I want to renew my football season tickets and then a few sporadic emails. I get weekly UVA emails about upcoming games, events, etc.
... and you're a better person for it. ;)

A lot of the reasons discussed by others resonate with me. SU just doesn't make itself look like a worthy recipient, obnoxious as that sounds.

I agree with the observation that SU "doesn't make itself look like a worthy recipient".

I have attended some local alumni events, but I always read the Syracuse Alumni magazine that arrives every few months. Lots of what is printed is off-putting. Cantor seemed to be to be unconnected to reality. I wasn't going to write checks to support her crazy vision.

SU isn't the only place asking me for money. They are competing for dollars. he appeal better be something that makes sense to me.

I don't believe that the lack of money is what is underlying SU's relative period of funk in sports. And I don't think more money will fix it unless it's at the Oregon level.

I didn't attend SU, but rather a SUNY school back in the mid 80's. Growing up in Syracuse (Liverpool) I became and remain a loyal SU diehard fan. I don't think there's anything that I'm more passionate about than SU sports, mainly football, hoops & lax. It's because of this immense passion, I donate to the university annually, albeit relatively small, $500-$1000.00/yr.

Most on this site are passionate SU sports fans as well, otherwise you wouldn't be here and spend the amount of time, etc. With this being the main reason, ultimately we all wish/want the best for SU, especially when it comes to the athletic department. So, for me, it's kind of an enigma how some (especially the one's here who have actual degrees and are alums) don't/won't donate because of other factors not related to their financial capacity. Like cutting off one's nose to spite your face mentality...I don't get it.

... And I don't think more money will fix it unless it's at the Oregon level.

I strongly agree with this, too. And if they want to go the route of nap rooms and wiffle ball, then they're really going to cement my position as a non-donor.

So here is part of the story. Everyone at SU who has donated in the past has ONE contact person. If you have an academic contact person, you will not also have an athletic contact person. All donations are considered together as opposed to having several different persons calling you. If you had 3 or 4 different people calling you or emailing you, you would not be happy with that either. There are several exceptions to this rule where some major donors may be covered by a couple of different departments. Or a husband grad by one, and a wife grad by another.

Now, I have an Orange Club athletic rep who contacts me, but also was contacted by one of the athletic directors to help the SU women pay for a plane to travel to last years NCAA tournament, as the NCAA would not pay for air travel, and with the major snowstorms, SU was not comfortable with Bus travel. So Another person from athletics did contact me other than my usual person. I do not get contacted by any other department, even those I donate to also annually.

Now for the REAL SECRET... You can donate without someone calling you!! I was never called, and I just started donating... Here is the link. Syracuse University Giving

You can look around and find your area, or areas of interest. I do donate to other areas besides athletics. I donate to the Office of Alumni Relations. If you ever go to a game watch in your area and they are handing out swag, the OAR purchases those with donations. Seriously go to the above link, and play around. You can donate to the Cheerleaders, you can donate to Library Student Employees, Pan Am 103 Archives, The Syracuse 8 Scholarship fund, The institute for Veteran and Military Families for ex. In athletics, you can donate to pretty much any team and any coach's discretionary fund.

For those of you who are paying off student loans. Hmmmm. I wonder how many students are paying off student loans. I bet quite a few. Why not just donate $44 one time per year for now. Just to get your feet wet until you are in a better place. This money may help an athlete who has even less financial opportunities than you do. It may help them to have better academic support while they attend SU, as they may have come from a high school that did not afford them the same academic things that you had. If we take all of your $44 and add them up that is a nice chunk of change. There is never an amount that is too little to donate. If it is $10, then donate that. Just get in the habit. It keeps you connected in your heart.

And that is my rant with all of this...If you wait for everything in life to come to you in a certain way, then you miss out on a lot of things. If you don't get the call, take it upon yourself...

So here is part of the story. Everyone at SU who has donated in the past has ONE contact person. If you have an academic contact person, you will not also have an athletic contact person. All donations are considered together as opposed to having several different persons calling you. If you had 3 or 4 different people calling you or emailing you, you would not be happy with that either. There are several exceptions to this rule where some major donors may be covered by a couple of different departments. Or a husband grad by one, and a wife grad by another.

Now, I have an Orange Club athletic rep who contacts me, but also was contacted by one of the athletic directors to help the SU women pay for a plane to travel to last years NCAA tournament, as the NCAA would not pay for air travel, and with the major snowstorms, SU was not comfortable with Bus travel. So Another person from athletics did contact me other than my usual person. I do not get contacted by any other department, even those I donate to also annually.

Now for the REAL SECRET... You can donate without someone calling you!! I was never called, and I just started donating... Here is the link. Syracuse University Giving

You can look around and find your area, or areas of interest. I do donate to other areas besides athletics. I donate to the Office of Alumni Relations. If you ever go to a game watch in your area and they are handing out swag, the OAR purchases those with donations. Seriously go to the above link, and play around. You can donate to the Cheerleaders, you can donate to Library Student Employees, Pan Am 103 Archives, The Syracuse 8 Scholarship fund, The institute for Veteran and Military Families for ex. In athletics, you can donate to pretty much any team and any coach's discretionary fund.

For those of you who are paying off student loans. Hmmmm. I wonder how many students are paying off student loans. I bet quite a few. Why not just donate $44 one time per year for now. Just to get your feet wet until you are in a better place. This money may help an athlete who has even less financial opportunities than you do. It may help them to have better academic support while they attend SU, as they may have come from a high school that did not afford them the same academic things that you had. If we take all of your $44 and add them up that is a nice chunk of change. There is never an amount that is too little to donate. If it is $10, then donate that. Just get in the habit. It keeps you connected in your heart.

And that is my rant with all of this...If you wait for everything in life to come to you in a certain way, then you miss out on a lot of things. If you don't get the call, take it upon yourself...

Amen!

Interesting question. I have never given more than a token amount to SU simply because I feel they don't need it. It's a private school that charges max tuition, so academics should be self sufficient. My support of the athletic department is buying season tickets I use about once a year. I never felt comfortable donating a large sum to athletics rather than academics.

Compare that to the school I have donated to, SUNY Albany, I got my MBA there and got my first job based solely on a professors recommendation. When I started making real money, I funded a bunch of computers for the business school. I also was asked back to lecture occasionally. They made a real effort to keep people involved. I don't donate there anymore, as again, I'm more focused on providing the best for my kids.

Further, I'll probably donate in the future (after I retire), but right now I'm paying two college tuitions (one to Syracuse), with two more to go.

I think SU's issue is that they have trouble bagging the elephant -- the max donor with very deep pockets.

Yup. I went to the SU-UConn game at the Rent last year and I've been getting a couple emails a week from then since then. It's obnoxious because UConn sucks, but they know what they're doing.

And to the point about not waiting to be catered to... that's presuming people are. Many of us donate, we're just sharing stories as to why SU might not be raising funds as well as they could be.

Yup. I went to the SU-UConn game at the Rent last year and I've been getting a couple emails a week from then since then. It's obnoxious because UConn sucks, but they know what they're doing.

And to the point about not waiting to be catered to... that's presuming people are. Many of us donate, we're just sharing stories as to why SU might not be raising funds as well as they could be.

I still get Georgetown emails from one basketball purchase. The unsubscribe button doesn't work because they're a holes.

As llandz said, you can easily find it on your own (as I did), but that's not going to bring in the numbers.

Find 5,000 alums to give $100 per month. End of the year, you'll get more revenue than the old Big East was giving out. The odds are they're not going to turn off the subscription because it doesn't hit the personal budget in such a big chunk. That's why the entire business world has moved to subscription models.