Alumni donations | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Alumni donations

SUAD infrastructure with regards to fundraising or just in general? Did Darryl Gross do anything while he was at Syracuse other than hire expensive tennis coaches and pretend to take credit for the ACC invitation (that was inevitably coming no matter the AD)? I feel like he was hired to do the modernization and failed spectacularly.

The info I was told was that overall once Coyle got a look under the hood he realized he inherited a much messier situation than he anticipated. However, the group they singled out was regarding the department's ability to raise funds. Coyle has a reputation within the collegiate athletic director community as being a guy who rolls his sleeves up and gets to work, high character guy who doesn't need to be in the spotlight. The fact that he was looking for an out that quick into his tenure and jumped as soon as he did spoke volumes in that community.

I'm not going to pretend I know anything about how the replacement search unfolded but I don't think it was an appealing job for high level candidates within the industry for some of the reasons mentioned above.

This is my argument as well. I see no evidence that they are reaching out to get donors at the $5k-$10k level. If this is requested as a commitment of $1k-$2k/year over 5 years and there are potentially 10k donors that could be targeted, this is $50M-$100M...

Edit: I'll admit it is possibly the path of least resistance to get 10 people to donate $5M-$10M, but that may not be working either. Bottom line, no evidence there is any campaign going on for the Dome, so I am beginning to believe the 2021 rumors.

They've done some that I know. But there needs to be a more professional way to do it.

FWIW and this is off the cuff I don't think any Dome anything comes from donor types.

Enlighten me.

Say you're a 5K donor or 10K donor. ACC tickets, NCAA tickets, bowl tickets (yeah I know) are all going to be great. Access to whatever you want is generally really good.

Flip side is stubhub can handle all your ticketing needs.

The info I was told was that overall once Coyle got a look under the hood he realized he inherited a much messier situation than he anticipated. However, the group they singled out was regarding the department's ability to raise funds. Coyle has a reputation within the collegiate athletic director community as being a guy who rolls his sleeves up and gets to work, high character guy who doesn't need to be in the spotlight. The fact that he was looking for an out that quick into his tenure and jumped as soon as he did spoke volumes in that community.

I'm not going to pretend I know anything about how the replacement search unfolded but I don't think it was an appealing job for high level candidates within the industry for some of the reasons mentioned above.
Scary.

Totally believable, but very scary.

I'm not an alum but I am an annual donor. I think the university's fundraising execution could definitely use some work from what I have read on here. I also have spent over a decade on my life in the south. My impression is that with the schools who are successful in fundraising, those fans see it as more of an investment in something they care about as opposed to the university trying to shake more money out of them. It's just more a part of the culture at those schools. I could be totally wrong - just my impression.

Another thing to consider is something others have pointed out. I also donate to my alma mater in addition to SU but I donate to the academic side of my alma mater.

I'm not discounting that part of it, and I'm also not naive enough to think that younger donors are going to individually have a major impact on fundraising at their alma mater, but collectively, they can make a dent. The participation rate for giving in my class (2006) at my small college is 7% (!). Push that number up to 30% and that's a solid bump in fundraising, regardless of how many of those are small gifts. Now extrapolate that out over all class years, and you are talking about a significant increase in fundraising dollars raised.
I can remember when SU made a more concerted effort to get younger alums to make a donation. They would call with offers for an SU credit card with Visa/Mastercard that would kick back so much to the university. Or you could purchase furniture from the university. I have a grandfather clock, that I have moved all over the USA, that we purchased from SU. I was on the call list...now I just get an occasional email.

Completely understandable, but it should also be noted that your loans would be significantly higher if it weren't for donors who came before you who made it possible for SU to offer a 50% discount rate (or whatever it is these days). And yes, I get that donating to athletics wouldn't have that same impact. However, having worked in fundraising for 11 years now, it bothers me when my friends use that same excuse about why they don't donate (even $50).

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I'm estimating that within five years, the ~20k I owe will be cleared. When that monkey is off of my back, that will free up some income that I didn't have before. Right now, I'm dedicating just about $500/month to loans alone. This isn't including my housing, transportation, groceries, my other personal bills and now healthcare as I'm looking for a new provider. These are priorities.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I'm estimating that within five years, the ~20k I owe will be cleared. When that monkey is off of my back, that will free up some income that I didn't have before. Right now, I'm dedicating just about $500/month to loans alone. This isn't including my housing, transportation, groceries, my other personal bills and now healthcare as I'm looking for a new provider. These are priorities.

I understand priorities. I also understand that I have friends who cry poverty and can't spare $50/year for their alma mater, yet they will drop $50 on a round of shots at the bar every weekend. :confused:

Where is the initiative from the athletic department seeking donors? I hear from grad students in the Maxwell School/Economics department regularly asking me for money, but I never hear from anyone from the AD. Why is that?

I understand priorities. I also understand that I have friends who cry poverty and can't spare $50/year for their alma mater, yet they will drop $50 on a round of shots at the bar every weekend. :confused:

$50/year? I must have implied it being on a monthly basis. To each their own. I'll leave it that haha.

read on here often that SU does not have strong alumni support in terms of donors. I agree but am curious as to why? IMHO when people don't give back at some level it comes down to 4 things.

1) people don't have fond memories of their time spent in college
2) alums are not experiencing the success in their career and don't have the cash
3) the school has alienated the alum in some manner that makes them not want to give
4) the University in question has a horrible plan or execution in terms of securing said funds

Where in everyone's opinion is SU dropping the ball on cultivating donors?
5. I paid tuition and got what I paid for, and why should I give any more, especially when the schools have huge endowments.

I graduated in 1995 and married someone I met at SU. I was in marching band and was a director of the Sour Sitrus Society. I had football season tickets for 9 years despite living 300 miles away in CT. I work for a major media company and have returned to campus a number of times to guest lecture. I am an alumni contact for the Newhouse School and regularly talk to graduating students. I receive a constant flow of info from SU, including donation solicitations for the General Fund, Newhouse and Crouse College, my wife's school.

And yet, I have never been contacted by the Athletic Department.

Not a single time in 22 years post-graduation.

So I'm going to assume that their fundraising process is utterly broken.

I graduated in 1995 and married someone I met at SU. I was in marching band and was a director of the Sour Sitrus Society. I had football season tickets for 9 years despite living 300 miles away in CT. I work for a major media company and have returned to campus a number of times to guest lecture. I am an alumni contact for the Newhouse School and regularly talk to graduating students. I receive a constant flow of info from SU, including donation solicitations for the General Fund, Newhouse and Crouse College, my wife's school.

Interestingly enough, I've received 2 emails from Mizzou recently just from going to the 1 football game there vs SU 5 years ago. No idea why I haven't unsubscribed, but just thought that was interesting after reading your post.

read on here often that SU does not have strong alumni support in terms of donors. I agree but am curious as to why? IMHO when people don't give back at some level it comes down to 4 things.

1) people don't have fond memories of their time spent in college
2) alums are not experiencing the success in their career and don't have the cash
3) the school has alienated the alum in some manner that makes them not want to give
4) the University in question has a horrible plan or execution in terms of securing said funds

Where in everyone's opinion is SU dropping the ball on cultivating donors?
I think it's pretty easy. there is a stat that like 90% or more Syracuse grads leave the area. another thing I have noticed is that a lot of these kids that leave think Syracuse is a dump, mostly because they have only seen the areas around campus or southside, whereas there are plenty of really nice places to live here. SU wants to draw prep school type kids, which is fine, but the drawback is the don't view our city as a viable place to live. but they are wrong, but they are kids after all.

Not familiar with the inner workings of fundraising at SU or at other larger private schools with big-time athletics, but I do know that the various schools and colleges within universities are very territorial over who can receive solicitations and for what. Tons of inner politics that make it really hard for athletics to target any non-athletes in a meaningful way for solicitations. Wouldn't surprise me if that's the fundraising culture at SU.

My wife attended four different colleges (including UVA) for various degrees and certifications. They all send her solicitations and a couple call her. She gives to two.

I attended Syracuse and UVA. Don't get anything other than the magazines.

Is it possible there is a bias toward the fairer sex?

List of colleges and universities in the United States by endowment - Wikipedia

Wish this list was actually by endowment $ instead of by alphabet. Too lazy to download and sort it myself.
Click on the arrow in the column header in the column you want to sort by. Can sort ascending or descending. (HINT: we're closer to the bottom of that list than to the top. But still ahead of Rutgers! ;) )

upload_2017-9-21_6-44-55.png

This.

I had this conversation with an Orange Club person last winter. I've donated in the past but never receive any type of renewal notice or anything like that. I do receive cold calls from the school itself once in a while but don't like to use them but I want to make sure I get my Orange Club points. You almost have to want to really contribute to make it happen.

That is insane and speaks volumes about a lot of things including the silo culture that exist on the hill.

We aren't big donors but have given some money to SU and there have been some members of the family who have left money to the university. Last year when the team was down here to play Wake we received a "form"email from Jason Poles inviting us to dinner with the team. Unfortunately we couldn't attend, it seemed they were trying to reach out to alumni but then we get no other type of solicitation besides an occasional email since then. There doesn't seem to be any plan to raising funds from smaller donors.

Not familiar with the inner workings of fundraising at SU or at other larger private schools with big-time athletics, but I do know that the various schools and colleges within universities are very territorial over who can receive solicitations and for what. Tons of inner politics that make it really hard for athletics to target any non-athletes in a meaningful way for solicitations. Wouldn't surprise me if that's the fundraising culture at SU.

I don't doubt that at all. It's just crazy.

SU Athletics needs to implement the Carly Rae Jepsen fundraising plan...

Carly_Rae_Jepsen_-_Call_Me_Maybe.png

It seems like we have had convinced more of our famous athletic alumni to contribute while they were in pro sports which seems rare. Nationally I feel these gifts rarely happen when a player is still in the prime of their career. Carmelo donated to the Basketball Center which rumor has it was spurred by an idea from Juli Boeheim. The University put Donavan McNabb on the board of trustees when he graduated. He gave to renovate the locker rooms and the women's basketball lounge. I think he is still a life trustee and annual donor.

Outside of SU, I saw that Draymond Green made a large gift to Michigan State Athletics and Ndamukong Suh has made a substantial commitments to Nebraska Athletics and Engineering.