Alumni support David Walker as next Head Coach | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Alumni support David Walker as next Head Coach

i say this with 100% certainty.

When we let go of Dino, 90% of our starters will leave with him. And I don’t have one name that I can point to who will definitely stay.

We need to bring in someone who KNOWS and has EXPERIENCE building a functional college football lineup from scratch.

Need a recruiter and developer. I know, they dont grow on trees.

Need someone young who can get families to buy in. Walker’s not an option

Walker as RB coach would be excellent. People probably dont' realize how screwed we are with no LQA next year and how much worse this team would be without him this year.

Offense is shaping up to be a total disaster and most of the guys who are qualified to take over the program in its current state are defensive head coaches. I don't think its crazy to force the best possible OC on the new coach and insist on a couple positional hires that will improve recruiting.

Where's LaQuint Allen going? Have you heard he is going to Portal?

When we let go of Dino, 90% of our starters will leave with him. And I don’t have one name that I can point to who will definitely stay.

We need to bring in someone who KNOWS and has EXPERIENCE building a functional college football lineup from scratch.

Well, if our squad is full of guys who are happy with a 4-8 season pretty much every year and leave because the program wants to do better than that, then buh-bye, because you guys are losers.

Deion. He’s shown ability to build a program from scratch…

We need a recruiter and developer regardless of what players do this off-season.

I’m simply not going to worry about departures from this squad. Guys are gonna leave no matter what happens with the HC.

If they care that much about Dino they should play better.

Well, if our squad is full of guys who are happy with a 4-8 season pretty much every year and leave because the program wants to do better than that, then buh-bye, because you guys are losers.
No ones happy with losing but they love Dino. He’s a players coach, this happens.

All our talent will be gone. Its something I’m ok with

Deion. He’s shown ability to build a program from scratch…
Colorado’s a better launch pad.

Who’s next?

Maybe a deion like guy with NYC connections?

We need energy and grit.

We need a recruiter and developer regardless of what players do this off-season.

I’m simply not going to worry about departures from this squad. Guys are gonna leave no matter what happens with the HC.

If they care that much about Dino they should play better.
You love Cuse. Im the same way. You overcome and adapt

Nobody is saying he should be the next HC. And we don’t know the full story of what happened with his indiscretion. And I’m sure ismail isn’t even aware of it when he made the comment.
He was fired for it, so while that doesn’t mean he should be burned at the stake, you don’t go out and let him run a program five minutes later. I know you aren’t advocating for him as our coach, thank goodness, and I am sure you are right about Qadry.

The football alumni just want a guy they’re familiar with. They aren’t looking at the big picture.
Yep. And that's horrible primary criteria for hiring a guy. If they were talking about a really successful guy or a brilliant young up and comer they were familiar with, the familiararity would be a nice bonus.

Was at a table with a football alum that all of you would recognize that played pre-Dino.

Said that football alums do not feel welcome by Dino, that Ohana does not apply to them.

So, not a surprise to me that there is no support for him.

What does “not feeling welcome” actually mean? What are they looking for that they aren’t getting?

On its face, it sounds bad. It might actually be a bad situation. But I swear I’ve heard the “not feeling welcome” line from football alums with other coaches over the last two decades, which would lead to the possibility football alums have expectations no coach is going to be able to meet.

Was at a table with a football alum that all of you would recognize that played pre-Dino.

Said that football alums do not feel welcome by Dino, that Ohana does not apply to them.

Not surprising, he’s an extra-insecure coach

Which is confusing to me. We’ve seen plenty of football alumni around the team and even giving talks to the team. Some have been covered by the media. Dino was also very close to Floyd who attracted and was loved by alums. It’s all so confusing.

So many people are hypocritical. Everyone has skeletons in the closet. Your life isn’t under the microscope like some of these coaches. The cancel culture is a modern day Salem witch trial.

This isn’t me promoting David Walker. Just saying bringing out the pitchforks when someone screws up gets old.

Decades ago you just fired someone because they showed up late to work one day. My first job out of college guy walks in 10 minutes late and the manager had already put a box on his desk and told him to pack his ……. Guy was late because his kids school he had to drive through tons of traffic everyday and he was hired knowing that could be an issue some days.

Now when a guy is warned by HR about something he’s doing wrong all ready this season, then continues to do it and gets fired. That’s cancel culture. Lol. I would say your response is more woke/cancel culture than a company firing a guy who’s already received a warning. People nowadays are so weak, guy screwed up and got fired and had a warning. People got fired for no reason decades ago. What a ridiculous take.

What does “not feeling welcome” actually mean? What are they looking for that they aren’t getting?

On its face, it sounds bad. It might actually be a bad situation. But I swear I’ve heard the “not feeling welcome” line from football alums with other coaches over the last two decades, which would lead to the possibility football alums have expectations no coach is going to be able to meet.
Yeah, seems like we’ve heard the same exact thing about every HC since Pasqualoni. Wasn’t there a story about Troy Nunes being turned away from the football facility when Shafer or Marrone was coach?

Maybe it’s true. Could also be that alums expect to get their @sses kisses incessantly.

Yeah, seems like we’ve heard the same exact thing about every HC since Pasqualoni. Wasn’t there a story about Troy Nunes being turned away from the football facility when Shafer or Marrone was coach?

Maybe it’s true. Could also be that alums expect to get their @sses kisses incessantly.
The alums I have spoken with recognize that high profile former players get brought back, but there is no outreach to many of the guys that didn’t go off to the NFL or weren’t active with the program for a period of time as they tried to set their lives up. Many have reached out to offer help at camps, practice, mentorship, recruiting help in their area, etc and the current staff is not very receptive unless it’s a big name. Look at the players that have been highlighted in social media. Many of them were stars that went on to be first round picks. Dino’s staff has been a revolving door of outsiders and until recently traditional recruiting areas were ignored despite many offers of help.

A coach is going to run their program the way they see fit and the alums get that. But it stings for many I have talked to that see ways they can help, are rebuffed, and the program continues to be bad.

You can't replace a mass attrition in the portal and certainly not at Syracuse. You're seeing it at Colorado right now. They'll bounce back next year because of NIL and Deion. Syracuse loses it's starters with the lack of depth they already have and the new coach will be on the hot seat by Year 3.

Which is confusing to me. We’ve seen plenty of football alumni around the team and even giving talks to the team. Some have been covered by the media. Dino was also very close to Floyd who attracted and was loved by alums. It’s all so confusing.
I can PM you who it was as long as you don't make it public.

Perhaps he was just speaking for himself but I believe he implied that it was across the board.

Did not ask for specifics. There was a group at the table so I left it alone.

Merely paraphrasing what was said.