Alumni support | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Alumni support

I don’t remember alumni being around all the time under Shafer or Grob either. Under Marrone, if you didn’t play for Mac you were shunned. The difference with Brown than any of them is that he made a plea for them specifically.
Yeah. I never understood why you'd keep guys out, especially guys that would be a bridge to a previously successful era. I was just pointing out that basketball was a little different because everyone had a connection to JB.

Fascinating to see the comments on social media in response to Coach Fran’s message about wanting guys at practice. The replies to this Tweet and the Quote Tweets say a lot. It’s a welcome message.

https://www.twitter.com/robcarpenter81/status/1731709947686048007?s=46&t=S4G-8Vwg3o_zTIa7dFcKbA
I work with a friend who is a former tri captain his senior year. He told me today that the last couple days su has been sending mass emails with hundreds of former lettermen on the chain, asking them to come to practices. He is meeting up with several of his former teamates and going next week. Su and Fran are really putting this out there. Huge, huge welcome move. He says the buzz in the lettermen chats is off the hook right now.

I work with a friend who is a former tri captain his senior year. He told me today that the last couple days su has been sending mass emails with hundreds of former lettermen on the chain, asking them to come to practices. He is meeting up with several of his former teamates and going next week. Su and Fran are really putting this out there. Huge, huge welcome move. He says the buzz in the lettermen chats is off the hook right now.

$$$$$

Yup. And it’s smart. Can’t ask for money if you don’t even know what guys are up to. Lots of non alums who play sports make a lot of money in other business ventures vs going pro (see Lally). Need to keep them close to even know who to ask.
EXACTLY! My friend said the same thing, theyll go to get the flavor of this whole thing, meet the new staff, rehash some memories, and drop a check on the way out lol

Yup, people are going to be SHOCKED with the access to the football team now.

It’s going to be more like every other division 1 FBS football team
As i have said on here before about the straw that broke the monkeys back with Dino was the Cancer golf tournament a few years back. As we know Dino never cared about the allumni and he was invited to be a guest speaker at this outing and instead of talking about cancer and getting moneynfor that he was trying to get it for the team. Now there is a time and place and some of the guys were talkingin the back and i think it was Pettijohn and someone else and Dino yelled at them and there was almost a fight. Dino lost a lot of support that day. Ireally dont blame them.

Yup. And it’s smart. Can’t ask for money if you don’t even know what guys are up to. Lots of non alums who play sports make a lot of money in other business ventures vs going pro (see Lally). Need to keep them close to even know who to ask.
Its not just that. In the age of NIL and the portal, it shows guys that they can choose to be part of something, for life. Your efforts will not be forgotten.

You can say the words, La Familia, or you can just invite the whole d@mn family over to get together. Thats what Fran just did. Actions are important.

They should always have been accepted. Dino was a decent man but not a bright one I will tell u.

I don’t think it’s gonna be as open as people think. Some here are acting like all of a sudden fans can go to practices. I don’t see it and other schools don’t do that.

how do you know they don’t? I walked off the street in knoxville last august and caught the tail end of a practice through the fence. Nobody told me to leave.

It’s not like they pull up bleachers and things, but they aren’t as closed off and as top-secret as we’re made to believe.

The Syracuse.com article gave insight on the football alumni with the previous coaches. It wasn’t good
I can't fathom why head coaches wouldn't want alumni around, especially ones that played on successful Cuse teams or had NFL careers. They could be introduced to the guys and some could give talks. Can anybody offer a sensible and plausible reason to exclude, shun or not want them around?

It's not just money. I'm sure most of the football alumni follow college and high school teams across the country. They become a de facto recruiting source. For instance, I tried to sell RB Sam Beers from Air Academy HS in Colorado. He was unstoppable. Of course, no one listened. He wound up going to Colorado School of Mines (#1 in D-II). These football guys know 122 times what I know. Take advantage.

Some posters had eluded to this but I didn't realize how truly upset and annoyed the alums were. Honestly shame on Dino for making these guys feel unwelcome.
It's genuinely shocking to me. I had no clue Dino had alienated so many football alumni. It seems like one of the easier things to get right as a head coach.

I can't fathom why head coaches wouldn't want alumni around, especially ones that played on successful Cuse teams or had NFL careers. They could be introduced to the guys and some could give talks. Can anybody offer a sensible and plausible reason to exclude, shun or not want them around?
Its not like Dino didn't do anything with Alumni. During shutdown, the team had zoom calls with both Justin Pugh, and Chandler Jones.

Would I like to see Mcnabb or Freeney make an appearance on a big Official Visit weekend? You bet your @r$3 I would... He had Tom Coughlin speaking to recruits, one weekend. So yes, Dino did some.

Would I like to see Mcnabb or Freeney make an appearance on a big Official Visit weekend? You bet your @r$3 I would... He had Tom Coughlin speaking to recruits, one weekend. So yes, Dino did some.

Fran said there will be (4) practices specifically open for letterman alums... let's get all the big boys in on at least one of them... those you mention and Harrison, DonnieMac, Johnston, etc. plus as many others as possible... that's La Familia Ohana...

Last edited:
Its not like Dino didn't do anything with Alumni. During shutdown, the team had zoom calls with both Justin Pugh, and Chandler Jones.

Freeney spoke to the team when he was here for the BC game for P's presentation. Babers talked about that and how great Dwight's speech was.

Last edited:

I think the issue was he only allowed active NFL players/high-visibility alum access. So really not that many players tbh.

open practices also lead to issues at every level.. can people just wonder in to your job and hang out to critique everything. A fight, or screaming at a kid, or an injury, or a special play, a change in scheme? Lots of stuff at a practice is best behind closed doors even at the HS level

I don’t think it’s gonna be as open as people think. Some here are acting like all of a sudden fans can go to practices. I don’t see it and other schools don’t do that.
Given how detailed he is that his wife is so jealous of, I’m sure he whole keep track and know who’s gonna be there when. Doesn’t make it less open