Am I the only one who noticed... | Syracusefan.com

Am I the only one who noticed...

Jake

Mod
a dramatic drop off at PG last night when MCW wasn't on the court.

Brandon has to be better with the ball than he was last night. He was atrocious considering he is a sr. Only downside I noticed last night.

Lots to really like. Really enjoy watching mcw play. I just love his game - It's borderline irrational. He just makes the others better.

Southerland will flourish this year if he is able tyo receive the ball in rhythm like last night.

I think we may be a bit soft inside defensively, but it's picking nits.

8.5 deep this year. A perfect JB rotation. Love the parts that we have.

Could use one more dribble penetration player. I expect other teams to crowd us and force us to use the bounce. It's why Brandon must be better with the ball. I think it's the key to a deep run.

Lets see how the rotation looks with Cooney coming in. Im really looking forward to that.

Bt with the ball in his hands is a scary thought imo, hes the same player he was as a frosh, same mistakes and indecisions. Hes better off the ball , coming of screens and playing with less pressure on him is key.

Yes, BT with the ball in his hands is a disaster waiting to happen. Start, stop, jump, pass/shoot hybrid. Such a clunky offensive player. But, he will be awesome as a guy who just finds his spots on the wing. Don't make him think too much. Just let him spot up and slash.

Brandon has to be better with the ball than he was last night. He was atrocious considering he is a sr. Only downside I noticed last night.

Lots to really like. Really enjoy watching mcw play. I just love his game - It's borderline irrational. He just makes the others better.

Southerland will flourish this year if he is able tyo receive the ball in rhythm like last night.

Could use one more dribble penetration player. I expect other teams to crowd us and force us to use the bounce. It's why Brandon must be better with the ball. I think it's the key to a deep run.

Yes, great assessment. I think we need a dribble drive guy to be truly elite. Brandon could step it up this year, but I think he puts too much pressure on himself. We will need consistency from Brandon most. He has to protect the ball - job #1. He doesn't have Scoop around anymore. He threw too many passes away lat night. MCW is not quite there yet. He can't be the only guy on the team who can bring the ball up court and run the offense.

As you know I wasn't there, so I can't form a strong opinion and only have snippets on the news, the box score, and being able to listen to the last 8 minutes on the radio on the way home. But they both had a lot of turnovers with MCW having the most on the team. Radio said both were trying too many long passes that went awry.

They both were fine in the assist department. Both need to be 2:1 in the assist to turnover margin. I'm not worried about PG at all. Outside shooting remains my biggest concern as a team.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I don't think you can go big with Triche at the point. Ideally, we play through Fair at the free throw line, Cooney and Sutherland on the wings to shoot, and Christmas/DC2/Keita underneath.
We will have issues with ball pressure teams that have height/athleticism at the back end (Louisville, Arkansas). We may lose a couple games out of the conference that will help this team develop and perform better in the long run.

As you know I wasn't there, so I can't form a strong opinion and only have snippets on the news, the box score, and being able to listen to the last 8 minutes on the radio on the way home. But they both had a lot of turnovers with MCW having the most on the team. Radio said both were trying too many long passes that went awry.

They both were fine in the assist department. Both need to be 2:1 in the assist to turnover margin. I'm not worried about PG at all. Outside shooting remains my biggest concern as a team.

A case of the box score not telling the story. MCW's turnovers were aggressive moments pushing the ball trying to get easy baskets.

Brandon got stripped by a 5' 7" white guy who took it the distance...almost happened twice.

Brandon needs to play better.

I didn't see the game, but all this "defensive drop off" talk has me confused.

Give me MCW over Scoop anyday in the zone, Michael's length and quickness surpasses Scoop's easily.
I always thought Kris was lazy in the zone, I feel that CJ and JSouth are not only better rebounders, but better closers.
Fab obviously is a huge loss in the middle, but with the supposed development of Rak and BMK, plus the addition of Coleman, I can't imagine the center position being a massive dropoff.

What am I missing?

I know I'm on an island with this but Triche is the least my worries I just think he was up for the game. He has started his hold career and the team goals for the game was to get the new players and players in new roles going. I want to see him in game time vs SDST. I don't care if he even plays on Sunday at all.

Appreciate folks who can express themselves properly. Just sayin.

A case of the box score not telling the story. MCW's turnovers were aggressive moments pushing the ball trying to get easy baskets.

Brandon got stripped by a 5' 7" white guy who took it the distance...almost happened twice.

Being an exhibition, I'm not concerned.

good observation. if southerland is able to shoot with impunity against d-2 level defenders he will make some shots (we have seen this before). what are you on vacation or something with this analysis? soft inside defensively, what the hell are you talking about? i respect your opinion but What?

good observation. if southerland is able to shoot with impunity against d-2 level defenders he will make some shots (we have seen this before). what are you on vacation or something with this analysis? soft inside defensively, what the hell are you talking about? i respect your opinion but What?

Don't know how to question an opinion with your own huh?

I didn't see the game, but all this "defensive drop off" talk has me confused.

Give me MCW over Scoop anyday in the zone, Michael's length and quickness surpasses Scoop's easily.
I always thought Kris was lazy in the zone, I feel that CJ and JSouth are not only better rebounders, but better closers.
Fab obviously is a huge loss in the middle, but with the supposed development of Rak and BMK, plus the addition of Coleman, I can't imagine the center position being a massive dropoff.

What am I missing?

Scoop and Dion could strip guys at the top of the zone and take off downcourt on a breakaway. MCW and Brandon don't have the same quick hands. MCW may be lanky and good at picking off passes, but he is still a bit of a baby giraffe out there. He's a little too lanky for his own coordination. Still growing into his body, it seems. He is not rock solid with the ball in his hands. We are going to be susceptible to a good press this year.

Knew this would happen.

But we've been snubbed!! It's the best backcourt in the BE! I agree with all of this. There is some mild reason for concern if Triche dosn't handle the ball better and make better decisions. I like MCW so far and it is early but he too seemed very deliberate bringing the ball up. Maybe he's just long strided and not that 'quick.' Or maybe I'm wrong. Guys like Shaun Livingston, Kevin Martin, etc. seemed quicker/faster, imo. This game @Arkansas will be a huge test for whoever plays PG at the time and to see if we'll be able to get dribble penetration like you mentioned.

dont really know what the race of the guy has to do with it. but putting that aside, ..im going to let people in on a little secret. triche is just not very good. the team's success will be inversely proportional to how many minutes he is on the court.

I know I'm on an island with this but Triche is the least my worries I just think he was up for the game. He has started his hold career and the team goals for the game was to get the new players and players in new roles going. I want to see him in game time vs SDST. I don't care if he even plays on Sunday at all.
Agreed...team wins by 30 and we are questioning Triche....right!? He had 5 TOs to MCW's 7...more concern is that two PGs had 12 TOs and way less than a 2-1 or 3-1 asst to turn-over ratio...Triche remains the #1 defender on the top of the KEY and has been that for all the years he has played...this team is going to be awesome...so let's wait until 5-10 games in before we start for the fourth year in a row to be down on Triche...

Agreed...team wins by 30 and we are questioning Triche....right!? He had 5 TOs to MCW's 7...

It's an exhibition, so this really shouldnt be a major cause for concern. Triche is who he is. He hasn't changed since the day he stepped on campus. He's a decent to good 2 guard. Nothing more, nothing less. MCW is an NBAer.

Jake is right, Triche played very poorly.

Jake is also right on the money when he says that we are going to need Triche to handle the ball a lot because teams are going to pressure us all season long and MCW cant carry the load all by himself with no help (and I'm adding this part, there's nobody to help him but Triche).

I want to add that Triche playing poorly in an exhibition does not necessarily mean he will play poorly over the season. We've seen enough of Triche to know that he could easily score twenty on Sunday and make us all forget about today. I dont think he will be overly shaky handling the ball this year, and I'm not sure I am overly worried about turnovers. I think that might be an early season problem at worst. Still, it is very fair to say that every time Triche plays the way he did against Pace during the regular season we are going to be looking at a loss.

triche is just not very good. the team's success will be inversely proportional to how many minutes he is on the court.

Yet he won 4-5 games for us last year. One exhibition game and people are already calling out players. Somehow though JB is going to play him more than anyone and he is a good bet to lead the team in scoring and JB has said he has been our best defensive guard for 3 years. Yet, he sucks.

dont really know what the race of the guy has to do with it. but putting that aside, ..im going to let people in on a little secret. triche is just not very good. the team's success will be inversely proportional to how many minutes he is on the court.
That's a pile of crap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom