Amaker stay at Harvard | Syracusefan.com

Amaker stay at Harvard

hoopsupstate

Living Legend
Harvard put out a release this afternoon saying Amaker is staying at Harvard. He was BC's first choice. Hop just might get his first head coaching gig.

this might be the last we see of Hopkins at the cuse. Thank you for all you have done Coach Hopkins!!!

Good for Amaker, seems he's got something good going on there.

Hmmm ... only a few reasons I can see for Amaker not taking the job. #1 is money, is BC trying to cash in a coupon on their coaching search?

Seems like the gig would be worth at least 1.3 - 1.5M. If BC is throwing out a 1M or less I could see why Amaker (and Hop) would tell them thanks but no fuggin thanks.

One year ago today we were getting ready to play Marquette for a spot in the final four.

Amaker has had two "failed" runs already. He has an opportunity at Harvard to get into the NCAA tournament each year. Would BC offer him that chance? It also seems as though the Harvard admins have given him what he needs in terms of admission, so this might be a case of a coach realizing that he has a good thing- even if it's perceived to be at a lower prestige school.

I'd argue that right now Harvard has the 2nd best college hoops program in NE behind UConn and I would understand why he wouldn't make the move.

Hop needs to understand that the last two coaches at BC both got canned. They were both good coaches and couldn't do what's needed to be a consistent winner at BC. He has zero chance of making the tournament at BC. There's 10 programs ahead of him in the ACC. If he takes the job, I wish him well. When he plays SU I hope we crush them. If he doesn't win, he might never get another head coaching position, or he might wait and walk into a job that's got everything he needs to win from the first day he takes the job. He can secure success at SU if he keeps bringing in top talent. If he leaves and wants to come back, he may not have the players he might have if he stayed and recruited for SU.

Good for Amaker, seems he's got something good going on there.
I think Amaker may see his success at Harvard as a platform to be K's successor at Duke.

The last I heard, Duke wanted the replacement to have head coaching experience.
That would seem to limit the candidates to Amaker, his old backcourt mate Johnny Dawkins (who probably just saved his job at Stanford), Chris Collins at Northwestern and Bobby Hurley at Buffalo.

Amaker has the most experience by far...although his stints at Seton Hall and Michigan weren't exactly successful.

But his turning Harvard into a legitimate basketball power without athletic scholarships is something that will count for a lot at Duke.

I don't see Hop going to that $ h i t storm in Boston.

I don't know man, he's ready, and it's a very good opportunity. Certainly better than East Gopher Ankle AM&N :D

I guess if you want a challenge then take the BC job and attempt to turn that program around. That's a tall order as a first head coaching assignment. He is earning a great salary and stands to take over a program with great pedigree. Why jump ship again?

Hmmm ... only a few reasons I can see for Amaker not taking the job. #1 is money, is BC trying to cash in a coupon on their coaching search?

Seems like the gig would be worth at least 1.3 - 1.5M. If BC is throwing out a 1M or less I could see why Amaker (and Hop) would tell them thanks but no fuggin thanks.
Harvard certainly has plenty of cash to throw at him.

There is zero pressure at Harvard. Zero. As long as he finishes .500 or better, Amaker can stay there as long as he wants. Not so at BC. I expected this outcome for him - a raise and no additional pressure.

There is zero pressure at Harvard. Zero. As long as he finishes .500 or better, Amaker can stay there as long as he wants. Not so at BC. I expected this outcome for him - a raise and no additional pressure.
I don't know if I agree with that.

There wasn't much pressure when he started there.
But he's really raised the bar...turning Harvard into a legitimate tournament team capable of playing with and beating major college teams like Cincy and New Mexico.
And once you raise a bar...you've got a new standard to meet.

At the very least he's now expected to rule the Ivy...as he did this year with one loss I think (to Yale).

I don't know if I agree with that.

There wasn't much pressure when he started there.
But he's really raised the bar...turning Harvard into a legitimate tournament team capable of playing with and beating major college teams like Cincy and New Mexico.
And once you raise a bar...you've got a new standard to meet.

At the very least he's now expected to rule the Ivy...as he did this year with one loss I think (to Yale).
Maybe - but remember. It's the Ivy league, not the ACC or the B1G. The pressure to win is just not the same. Its just not.

The BC job is a no win situation. You cannot compete year in and year out with Duke, UNC, Louisville, and Cuse. I understand that Hop wants a head coach job in a major conference but the ceiling is very limited at BC. Amaker was smart IMO to turn it down.

Not a good job, hopefully Hop realizes that and makes the right choice.

It's a 7 figure job in a great city, great conference, in the recruiting territory of Hop's. It's a great job.

Any job is a bad job if the coach stinks, and a good job if the coach is good. There is gonna be a changing of the guard in the ACC sooner rather than later...

Harvard is totally perfect for Amaker. He'd be crazy to leave. He showed he could not make it with the Big Boys.

cto said:
Harvard is totally perfect for Amaker. He'd be crazy to leave. He showed he could not make it with the Big Boys.

Harvard is a great spot. They play by a different set of rules than the rest of the Ivy League.

Bayside44 said:
It's a 7 figure job in a great city, great conference, in the recruiting territory of Hop's. It's a great job. Any job is a bad job if the coach stinks, and a good job if the coach is good. There is gonna be a changing of the guard in the ACC sooner rather than later...

Hop should go. Personal and income growth beats loyality to your alma mater any day.

I guess if you want a challenge then take the BC job and attempt to turn that program around. That's a tall order as a first head coaching assignment. He is earning a great salary and stands to take over a program with great pedigree. Why jump ship again?
what are we paying him?

One year ago today we were getting ready to play Marquette for a spot in the final four.

and we were coming to the realization that hopkins had taken the USC job...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom