The offense… | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The offense…

Not as good as the first three, yep. Falling apart - ridiculous.

Averaging 260 over three games is not falling apart.

Falling apart is what happened last year, first two games more yds then the last two (I get the level of competition) and 8 tds, to having a string of games 135, 129, 129, 53, 8

That’s falling apart

I guess we have a difference in what "falling apart" means and the essence of the main point being expressed.

Call it whatever the eph you want it, going from 379.67 yards per game with 9 TDs 3 INTs to 256.33 per game with 2 TDs 5 INTs.

The worst part of that game. We come all the way back to 35-34. We have about 2:50 left in the game, 1st and 10 on the Northwestern 21 yard line. I said good run the clock down, 2 running plays kick the field goal and win.
Instead on 1st down we throw the ball into the end zone and score leaving 2:44 on the clock and leave it to the Refs to screw us.
Bad clock management cost us that game.
As I recall there was also a dumb hit oob that kept a key drive alive for Northwestern. Trying to remember who it was.

As I recall there was also a dumb hit oob that kept a key drive alive for Northwestern. Trying to remember who it was.
I was sitting right in front of where the so called hit out of bounds occurred, and it was a bad call. The referee blew the call, and after making the mistake of throwing the flag, wasn't man enough to admit his mistake.

I think this is the big question. McCord has looked really, really good thus far but we've done a nice job keeping him clean. Can we do that as the competition ramps up? If he does face more pressure, how does he handle it? It'll be interesting to watch but obviously super encouraging so far.
Ga Tech is a legit team. How many teams are we going to play that are better than them? Not a bunch.

Ga Tech is a legit team. How many teams are we going to play that are better than them? Not a bunch.
If ga tech is as good a team as we’ll face and McCord has a clean pocket most of the year that’s awesome and we’ll be very good offensively and win a bunch of games.

Will we face other teams that are more effective or schematically present more challenges in terms or pressure? I would think there’s a good chance that could happen too.

Really not sure. My only point is that we haven’t typically had the type of OL that kept the pocket super clean for 10 or 11 games. If we do that, that’s obviously great. If a few of these teams generate significant pressure, it’ll be interesting to see how McCord handles it and how the coaches adjust.

Nixon is playing chess and opposing DC are playing checkers. He may have a bad game here or there but i think hes good enough to adjust in crunch time to pull out a win. Plus, we have the players he needs in all the positions. I also think his son is going to turn out to be huge for us. Moreso than already shown.
He has IT. I bet he is a future NFL head coach if thats what he wants.
If we have a 10plus win season he will have alot of good college HC offers in January.
Our plays have purpose and the way in which they are called have a purpose. Its a very detailed and high level offense.
College level defenses will struggle. Defenses will need elite players and elite DCs to slow us down.
I dont think we have shown anywhere near what we are capable of...yet. When the time comes...Ill be watching.

Last edited:
You have to give the O some credit for earning all their points as well as SU has forced just 1 turnover on D and specials has done zero help for field position.
Great point, and in addition our opponents have committed a total of only 20 yards of penalties! That 20 yards puts us LAST in the nation in opponents penalties. We have not gotten a pass interference, targeting (should have vs Ohio), defensive holding, and I don’t think even an offsides on the defense. Last week we only punted twice, without any help from a first down on a penalty. I don’t see too many defenses slowing us down.

also, our defense has not been the beneficiary of ANY penalties that put our opponents in long situations. Our opponents apparently have committed zero holding penalties. (2 penalties per game, 10 yards per game). I it looks like 4 false start penalties. The #67 team in the middle of the rankings benefits from seven penalties and 56 yards a game. If our opponents just committed an average number of penalties, I imagine we would have much better defensive numbers, since penalties, especially holding are drive killers.

Unfortunately, Stanford is the eighth least penalized team in the nation.

Pitt and Cal are very undisciplined at 75 and 80 yards per game.

I have a hard time believing we don't throw for 300+ again. TCU did whatever they wanted in the air.

8.4 yard per pass, 353 yards in the air, 8 of 15 on third down...

I really want to dial back my excitement but Josh Hoover (TCU QB) is a very good passer and these eyes lead me to believe Kyle McCord is a very good passer... so why not believe? I have the evidence!

All that said, LQA, Yasin, WNix run for 300+ instead. Because of course

Great point, and in addition our opponents have committed a total of only 20 yards of penalties! That 20 yards puts us LAST in the nation in opponents penalties. We have not gotten a pass interference, targeting (should have vs Ohio), defensive holding, and I don’t think even an offsides on the defense. Last week we only punted twice, without any help from a first down on a penalty. I don’t see too many defenses slowing us down.

also, our defense has not been the beneficiary of ANY penalties that put our opponents in long situations. Our opponents apparently have committed zero holding penalties. (2 penalties per game, 10 yards per game). I it looks like 4 false start penalties. The #67 team in the middle of the rankings benefits from seven penalties and 56 yards a game. If our opponents just committed an average number of penalties, I imagine we would have much better defensive numbers, since penalties, especially holding are drive killers.

Unfortunately, Stanford is the eighth least penalized team in the nation.

Pitt and Cal are very undisciplined at 75 and 80 yards per game.
All really good points. At the same time, for the most part, our offense was deceiving bc it was almost like a hurry up ball control..
ya dig? Hurry up to slow down and beat them at their own game and win. I cant wait til we really turn the offense on full blast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom