The offense… | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The offense…

It slowed then down, but they also had a lead so no need to take a big chance. Have to keep working that. Just not perfect.
I’ll admit the offense did seem to sputter a bit and come back to earth, but I seem to recall that being more about a few dropsies on key 3rd down plays.

Stanford has film and 2 weeks to prep. Will be interesting to see if we can keep it going. The real test will be UNLV and Odom though. Get past that and this is for real.

Interestingly, a bunch of OSU fans have good things to say about McCord and also that he is doing things well this year that he didn't do at OSU last year... namely stepping up in the pocket...

Also, some posters claiming that there former QBs coach, Corey Dennis (now at Tulsa), did not develop him right and deserves blame.

If true, then Nunz deserves some credit for getting some bad habits cleaned up...
Eh, lots of “the lights were too bright for him at OSU” and “there’s no pressure to win anything at Syracuse” comments denigrating both what he’s accomplishing at SU and our program. Screw them.

I’ll admit the offense did seem to sputter a bit and come back to earth, but I seem to recall that being more about a few dropsies on key 3rd down plays.
He missed Allen badly on the FG drive. Gadsden dropped a pass that would have been a first down on the second of two 3rd Q possessions.

He missed Allen badly on the FG drive. Gadsden dropped a pass that would have been a first down on the second of two 3rd Q possessions.
Safe to say we can probably expect teams are not going to take their chances sitting back in a zone going forward. With blitzing comes more man coverage. Would be good to see what JRS can do because his physicality might eventually be needed.

It’s borderline ridiculous to me how quickly and efficiently Nixon has installed this highly complex offense.

New QB, new receivers, new linemen..and a whole new offense.

The variety of plays off his base formations is really impressive. It’s not just McCord that’s playing at a high level. It’s the entire unit.

It looks like this unit has been playing together For 4 years..

So now think about this…we’re 2 games into a whole new system and we haven’t burned a time out because of incorrect personnel. Haven’t had a false start and haven’t put the ball on the ground.

The first play of the Doug Marrone era we snapped the ball 5 feet over the QBs head. And he put together a pretty damn good offense…in year 3.
year 4

On one of Pena's TDs he was running a wheel route while two other receivers right next to him ran a go route and hook route. McCord threw it exactly where it needed to be even before Pena got there. It looked like an NFL offense.
No to be a debbie downer but that’s a pretty common route combo to run out trips.

That being said, he’s been very, very good. Creating a lot of confusion and mismatches via motion and shifts.

I'm interested to see what happens when the defenses start to play the pass more. Will the run game get good? I'm excited to see how the staff counters some of the things on film now.

I'm interested to see what happens when the defenses start to play the pass more. Will the run game get good? I'm excited to see how the staff counters some of the things on film now.
This might be getting way ahead of the apple cart, but a strong run game is one of the best ways to neutralize a strong pass rush that we may see vs the better ACC teams.

The line is good at pass pro and I think Dixon is playing to their strengths… but at some point not having more balance may become an issue.

This might be getting way ahead of the apple cart, but a strong run game is one of the best ways to neutralize a strong pass rush that we may see vs the better ACC teams.

The line is good at pass pro and I think Dixon is playing to their strengths… but at some point not having more balance may become an issue.
Curious to see if we have truly have been just taking what’s being given vs showing out on the passing to bait upcoming teams before unleashing the running game.

And he has 5 receivers, and 2 running backs to throw to. And if Villari gets his act together that would be a total of 8.
This offense hasn't gotten anywhere near where it could be by the time Miami comes into the Dome.
They might be scary good by that time.
I’d be interested if anyone can think of a stronger passing team that we’ve ever had. I sure can’t.

I’d be interested if anyone can think of a stronger passing team that we’ve ever had. I sure can’t.

First three games of 2012 Nassib had 1139 yards and 9 TDs. Then it all fell apart against three mediocre at best teams in Minny, Pitt, Rutgers because we didn't have balance.

It's only 2 games - one vs a MAC team and the other vs a team with a know mediocre pass defense. Granted still impressive but not yet ready to say better than Nassib's senior year. Probably will get there but let's wait and see.

First three games of 2012 Nassib had 1139 yards and 9 TDs. Then it all fell apart against three mediocre at best teams in Minny, Pitt, Rutgers because we didn't have balance.
Good find. With another 400 yard game against Stanford and with a few more touchdowns he’d be right there. I would still would give the edge to this years team but I didn’t realize Nassib had that great a start.

It's only 2 games - one vs a MAC team and the other vs a team with a know mediocre pass defense. Granted still impressive but not yet ready to say better than Nassib's senior year. Probably will get there but let's wait and see.
Agreed. I’m a glass half full type of guy…

The pass game didn’t fall apart in yardage, they went 228, 185, 356. Same 1-2 record. Agree only 2 tds over that stretch.

Rutgers finished 9-4, the other two 6-7 losing in their bowl game.

The pass game didn’t fall apart in yardage, they went 228, 185, 356. Same 1-2 record. Agree only 2 tds over that stretch.

Bear in mind the Rutgers game was the one where they scored on a blocked FG attempt for the winning margin. Our best lineman Justin Pugh just back from injury slipped allowing the kick to be blocked. That's football.

Bear in mind the Rutgers game was the one where they scored on a blocked FG attempt for the winning margin. Our best lineman Justin Pugh just back from injury slipped allowing the kick to be blocked. That's football.
Yes. Remember it well

That game and the 2012 Northwestern game haunt me. Jerome Smith watched a backwards pass fall at his feet and get scooped and scored. We lost by a point 42-41. Yikes
The worst part of that game. We come all the way back to 35-34. We have about 2:50 left in the game, 1st and 10 on the Northwestern 21 yard line. I said good run the clock down, 2 running plays kick the field goal and win.
Instead on 1st down we throw the ball into the end zone and score leaving 2:44 on the clock and leave it to the Refs to screw us.
Bad clock management cost us that game.

The first two games were horrible. 228 and 185 is not falling apart? The 3rd game we had 275 passing yards and 7 points with 5 mins left in the game. The last 5 mins brought the yards back up. But even with the good finish Nassib was under 60% passing for the day. It was the only game in the first 8 that year that he was under 62.5%.

The first two games were horrible. 228 and 185 is not falling apart? The 3rd game we had 275 passing yards and 7 points with 5 mins left in the game. The last 5 mins brought the yards back up. But even with the good finish Nassib was under 60% passing for the day. It was the only game in the first 8 that year that he was under 62.5%.
Not as good as the first three, yep. Falling apart - ridiculous.

Averaging 260 over three games is not falling apart.

Falling apart is what happened last year, first two games more yds then the last two (I get the level of competition) and 8 tds, to having a string of games 135, 129, 129, 53, 8

That’s falling apart

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom