The offense… | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The offense…

The players would never want to hear this, but I think the OL was either sleepwalking a bit thru that VT game last year or they were just so intimidated early that it just carried through the game.

I don't expect to see anything like that in the Dome for this year's game.
Agree. Seemed like the whole team checked out for the VT game last year. We seemed beat after the first 3 or 4 plays. It was really ugly.

But VT had a really good defense last year. They shut down a lot of teams in the second half of the season and they piled up a lot of sacks.

They finished 11th in the country in sacks last season and Antwaun Powell-Ryland Jr. had 10 all by himself. He returns, along with almost their entire defense. They should be a very good test for our OL.

I think this is the big question. McCord has looked really, really good thus far but we've done a nice job keeping him clean. Can we do that as the competition ramps up? If he does face more pressure, how does he handle it? It'll be interesting to watch but obviously super encouraging so far.
That's one thing that I have been looking for also. OSU fans said he doesn't do well under pressure, but what I have seen so far from the few times he's been pressured has been great. He has sidestepped and even shrugged off defenders all while keeping his eyes down field to get passes off. Other qbs in the past would just go down or look to run. I am very optimistic about this.

Honestly, the lack of mistakes is as stunning to me as the quantity of touchdowns.

The D & A in DART.

Love it. Huge change from prior regimes.

Also, this pro-style offense, if it continues to deliver under Nixon/McCord, will be a great recruiting tool for elite players...

i.e. Come play for us and play under a former NFL coach in an NFL pro-style offense and we'll prepare you for the NFL...

That's one thing that I have been looking for also. OSU fans said he doesn't do well under pressure, but what I have seen so far from the few times he's been pressured has been great. He has sidestepped and even shrugged off defenders all while keeping his eyes down field to get passes off. Other qbs in the past would just go down or look to run. I am very optimistic about this.
Agree-- he's handled it well. And obviously the goal would be to keep him in a clean pocket as much as humanly possible. But it's likely going to get hairy a good chunk of the time in some games and we certainly won't be as efficient, but can we still generate enough to put points on the board? All in all, great signs so far.

Agree. Seemed like the whole team checked out for the VT game last year. We seemed beat after the first 3 or 4 plays. It was really ugly.

But VT had a really good defense last year. They shut down a lot of teams in the second half of the season and they piled up a lot of sacks.

They finished 11th in the country in sacks last season and Antwaun Powell-Ryland Jr. had 10 all by himself. He returns, along with almost their entire defense. They should be a very good test for our OL.

Was that after Schrader's injury? I think it was the 8th or 9th game - after we started our slide. Just looked at the box score ... 8 sacks and only 12 completed passes. Ouch. If that defense or something close shows up in the Dome this year, it'll be a test - especially if they can pressure with only 4. But I think there might be a different result this time around. Nixon isn't going to let them pin their ears back and tear McCord apart. We have an effective 3-step screen game, two capable TE's and a slot guy that can get out in space and burn them. Hopefully Pry says something stupid in his pre-game presser. :cool:

Last edited:
Nixon has been beyond impressive.

What really impressed me was that 3rd and 1 qb sneak/run they tried that got stopped.

No one knew it but in his head we were going for on it 4th down if we didn’t make it.

We got stopped short, he ran the same exact formation and play on 4th down. GT saw it and recognized it.

Only problem was, they had thrown a wrinkle in it and it was an option play. GT never bothered to cover Lequint and McCord pitched off to him and he was off to the races.

A brilliant sequence of plays and a great move of deception of setting up plays for the future.

Extremely excited about where this offense can go

if you had the all 22 view you would see how ridiculously early some of these throws are.

Go to the 2nd Pena end zone route and watch the replay. Meeks is running a route inside of him, He sees the throw go up and starts to celebrate before he even turns around. Like the knew what was gonna happen with the defense.
Yeah, I don't pretend to be going over the all 22 nor do i pretend to be smart enough to know everything that goes into implementing and offense and/or play design, etc. But even just watching as a fan it's hard not to notice those things when you see that type of design and execution. the 4th-and-1 sneak that was mentioned is another one and I thought the post-corner TD to Pena was a thing of beauty as well. Definitely seems like Nixon is a really good hire.

To touch on McCord, I think what's jumped out to me is what a good pocket passer he is. Not going to do a whole lot with his legs, but I'm not just talking about arm strength and numbers -- it's how he's getting those numbers and how we're consistently moving the ball and consistently scoring (after the first drive against Ohio, of course).

The first thing that stands out about McCord to me is that it throws such a catchable ball. He gets the ball wherever he wants to but it's usually in-stride and right where the receiver wants it with ideal touch. He makes quick decisions so he's rarely late on throws -- we saw a bit more of this vs. Ohio but with another week of practice, everything seemed so smooth vs. Ga Tech.

He also does a ton with his eyes as well. I've noticed this a couple of times on screens -- doesn't panic, looks off a couple defenders, then quickly comes back to the running back. He also has had several throws where he's gone through his progressions and clearly gone to his third or fourth option. Haven't seen that in a long time that i can remember.

Also been impressed his ability to attack all areas of the field -- the short stuff with screens and drag routes, the quick outs and hitches, deeper outs, post-corners. He's got every throw. The touch on the deep ball down the seam to Hatcher was a thing of beauty. Over the hand of one GT defender, dropped in in front of the safety, hit hatcher in stride and he didn't even end up taking a big hit, that I remember. One thing on his deep shots as well is that he's giving his WRs a chance to make a play by keeping the ball in play. Both Haynes and Meeks took advantage of this in week 1 for a long catch along the sideline. The interception to Hatcher was actually a pretty decent throw/decision, IMO, Hatcher just didn't make a great play on the ball.

Lastly, and this we'll have to wait and see on a bit, but he does move well within the pocket to buy himself an extra second now and then. He's been sacked a few times but he seems to feel pressure well and slide left or right, or give a little ground -- just enough to give himself a chance to make a play.

He's been really impressive.

Was that after Schrader's injury? I think it was the 8th or 9th game - after we started our slide. Just looked at the box score ... 8 sacks and only 12 completed passes. Ouch. If that defense or something close shows up in the Dome this year, it'll be a test - especially if they can pressure with only 4. But I think there might be a different result this time around. Nixon isn't going to let them pin their ears back and tear McCord apart. He has an effective 3-step screen game, and we have two capable TE's and a slot guy that can get out in space and burn them. Hopefully Pry says something stupid in his pre-game presser. :cool:
Agree. We have a TON of weapons for short quick passes. Virtually all of our running backs, tight ends, slot and WRs can run great short routes. I would love to see teams try because we’ll just pick em apart.

It’s borderline ridiculous to me how quickly and efficiently Nixon has installed this highly complex offense.

New QB, new receivers, new linemen..and a whole new offense.

The variety of plays off his base formations is really impressive. It’s not just McCord that’s playing at a high level. It’s the entire unit.

It looks like this unit has been playing together For 4 years..

So now think about this…we’re 2 games into a whole new system and we haven’t burned a time out because of incorrect personnel. Haven’t had a false start and haven’t put the ball on the ground.

The first play of the Doug Marrone era we snapped the ball 5 feet over the QBs head. And he put together a pretty damn good offense…in year 3.

The O has a professional face to it. What I mean by that:

We have a QB that can operate within a pocket and put the ball in bucket down the field and can progress through reads.

We have WRs where the expectation is that if you run your route and beat your guy, when you break, the ball will be there. And you better trust your route and execute because we have talent pushing you.

The OL, for what it is (and I believe its solid, not great, not bad), is better as a whole because they can all trust McCord not to screw them over with his play in the pocket.

Combine this with the play calling that can be made because we can execute it, it's a beautiful thing.

And I'll say this again: McCord, LQA, OG, Pena, Meeks (and happy to include Hatcher, etc) --- take a look at other teams and start asking yourself just how many programs we'd trade our OC + the guys I just listed with another team. It's not a long list.

I think this is the big question. McCord has looked really, really good thus far but we've done a nice job keeping him clean. Can we do that as the competition ramps up? If he does face more pressure, how does he handle it? It'll be interesting to watch but obviously super encouraging so far.
Outside of Miami I think the O-line’s biggest tests are road ACC games where crowd noise/miscommunication may be an issue. @Pitt, @NCSt, @BC

Last edited:
The design of the plays has been fun to watch

We have decent WRs outside and 2 guys who run from the slot/TE that are hard for the teams 3-4th best DB and LBs to handle.

Then when teams play off that he has hit them with the RBs out wide and a couple well thought screens

Still waiting on deep balls to be hit.
Each game we had five different receivers complete receptions of at least 20 yards.

I'm not sure what you mean with your "waiting on deep balls" comment.

Was that after Schrader's injury? I think it was the 8th or 9th game - after we started our slide. Just looked at the box score ... 8 sacks and only 12 completed passes. Ouch. If that defense or something close shows up in the Dome this year, it'll be a test - especially if they can pressure with only 4. But I think there might be a different result this time around. Nixon isn't going to let them pin their ears back and tear McCord apart. We have an effective 3-step screen game, two capable TE's and a slot guy that can get out in space and burn them. Hopefully Pry says something stupid in his pre-game presser. :cool:
And watch out for a delayed draw play, if they come to hard after McCord.

The O has a professional face to it. What I mean by that:

We have a QB that can operate within a pocket and put the ball in bucket down the field and can progress through reads.

We have WRs where the expectation is that if you run your route and beat your guy, when you break, the ball will be there. And you better trust your route and execute because we have talent pushing you.

The OL, for what it is (and I believe its solid, not great, not bad), is better as a whole because they can all trust McCord not to screw them over with his play in the pocket.

Combine this with the play calling that can be made because we can execute it, it's a beautiful thing.

And I'll say this again: McCord, LQA, OG, Pena, Meeks (and happy to include Hatcher, etc) --- take a look at other teams and start asking yourself just how many programs we'd trade our OC + the guys I just listed with another team. It's not a long list.
Agree. And we're only two games in! So much that they will get better on!!

Nixon has been brilliant. McCord is extremely intelligent, makes very quick and accurate reads and can make every throw in the book effortlessly. He is going to have a good pro career.

Interestingly, a bunch of OSU fans have good things to say about McCord and also that he is doing things well this year that he didn't do at OSU last year... namely stepping up in the pocket...

Also, some posters claiming that there former QBs coach, Corey Dennis (now at Tulsa), did not develop him right and deserves blame.

If true, then Nunz deserves some credit for getting some bad habits cleaned up...

Interestingly, a bunch of OSU fans have good things to say about McCord and also that he is doing things well this year that he didn't do at OSU last year... namely stepping up in the pocket...

Also, some posters claiming that there former QBs coach, Corey Dennis (now at Tulsa), did not develop him right and deserves blame.

If true, then Nunz deserves some credit for getting some bad habits cleaned up...
And he has 5 receivers, and 2 running backs to throw to. And if Villari gets his act together that would be a total of 8.
This offense hasn't gotten anywhere near where it could be by the time Miami comes into the Dome.
They might be scary good by that time.

It’s borderline ridiculous to me how quickly and efficiently Nixon has installed this highly complex offense.

New QB, new receivers, new linemen..and a whole new offense.

The variety of plays off his base formations is really impressive. It’s not just McCord that’s playing at a high level. It’s the entire unit.

It looks like this unit has been playing together For 4 years..

So now think about this…we’re 2 games into a whole new system and we haven’t burned a time out because of incorrect personnel. Haven’t had a false start and haven’t put the ball on the ground.

The first play of the Doug Marrone era we snapped the ball 5 feet over the QBs head. And he put together a pretty damn good offense…in year 3.

i love all of this... but there is a clip of chris simms i believe saying how non complex the offense is and how that is helping mccord.

And he has 5 receivers, and 2 running backs to throw to. And if Villari gets his act together that would be a total of 8.
This offense hasn't gotten anywhere near where it could be by the time Miami comes into the Dome.
They might be scary good by that time.
Villari is fine.

If you want to see how they handle pressure look at the third quarter. GT brought steady 4 and 5 pressures. Mixed bag on a per play basis, certainly stopped going up and down the field.

Using the shallow cross behind a blitz was used twice. Quick pass to LQA went for nothing on 1st down. End of the drive McCord sailed the pass over a wide open Allen under pressure. Forced a FG.

I wonder how much of McCord's success and his ability to step up in the pocket is because he knows he always has at least once quick pass option. Seems like the plays are designed really well for a pocket passer like him. I didn't pay attention to the OSU offensive playbook last year but I do know they were used to having more mobile QB's. Obviously he could just be a year wiser and better as he was just a first year starter last year but I just wonder if their offensive playbook and play calling were not suited to him as well. We had the ability to design the offense around him last year after really being able to see his strengths and weaknesses in action.

I do think we will eventually struggle a bit more in some games as defenses adjust a bit to seeing our offense and McCord in it, particularly defenses with a better pass rush obviously. The defenses we have played against don't seem to excel in that area. The OU Bobcats also only had 1 sack this week against South Alabama.

Last edited:
Villari is fine.
So much of the passing game is timing and McCord needs to know exactly where the player is going to be. He throws the ball pretty early and needs to be able to anticipate where the receiver will be. I think on one of the incompletions to Villari he didn't exactly run his route that well. McCord expected Villari to continue his route at his full speed instead of slowing down like he did. He shouldn't be slowing down in his route unless he is sitting down in a zone, which he wasn't on that play. The drop he had on another play was a bit of bad luck as he turned right into the DB as he caught it and couldn't hold onto it.

Last edited:
If you want to see how they handle pressure look at the third quarter. GT brought steady 4 and 5 pressures. Mixed bag on a per play basis, certainly stopped going up and down the field.

Using the shallow cross behind a blitz was used twice. Quick pass to LQA went for nothing on 1st down. End of the drive McCord sailed the pass over a wide open Allen under pressure. Forced a FG.
So you’re saying we’re screwed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom