And I thought Buddy... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

And I thought Buddy...

Yes now he can in the nba. Go back and read posts about him while he was here. You’d think he couldn’t do anything except spaz out and fall down.
His shooting % here was spectacularly awful. Add me to the list that is incredible surprised but of course impressed with what he's worked on since playing at Syracuse.

Yes now he can in the nba. Go back and read posts about him while he was here. You’d think he couldn’t do anything except spaz out and fall down.
He missed layups constantly, you think he was the same player as his last game here? He obviously worked with someone to develop the game he has now.

I have no idea if he’ll get a seat at the table but you never know. Most here thought Brissett had no chance.

Yeah, neither did I but I always thought Brissett had athleticism - there are times when I think Buddy's feet are stuck in cement

His shooting % here was spectacularly awful. Add me to the list that is incredible surprised but of course impressed with what he's worked on since playing at Syracuse.
I have to own that too. Never thought he'd develop into a player in the league.

He literally could not make a layup here and then he gets to the NBA and he’s finishing in traffic. I’ve never seen anything like it.

He literally could not make a layup here and then he gets to the NBA and he’s finishing in traffic. I’ve never seen anything like it.
20 hours a week on practice per NCAA rules vs. professional coaching and player development.

How much time do you think we spend in practice during those 20 hours on developing individual skills vs. making sure the zone rotations are proper.

I don’t think our current staff is really good at player development. I think the players come in raw and if they can’t shoot just have to develop on their own.
Outside of Gbinije I can’t think of many guys who got real better over 4 years recently.
Marek didn’t develop.
Battle didn’t develop.
Howard etc.

Our guys can either just make shots or not.

Brissett got pro coaching and got better.
I remember when Brandon Triche played on the first Boeheim Army teams and was a a better played who had developed even more. Pro coaching.

I really think defense is over emphasized in college hoops across the board that coaches just want players to get better defensively and don’t develop this kids offensive skills.

20 hours a week on practice per NCAA rules vs. professional coaching and player development.

How much time do you think we spend in practice during those 20 hours on developing individual skills vs. making sure the zone rotations are proper.

I don’t think our current staff is really good at player development. I think the players come in raw and if they can’t shoot just have to develop on their own.
Outside of Gbinije I can’t think of many guys who got real better over 4 years recently.
Marek didn’t develop.
Battle didn’t develop.
Howard etc.

I remember when Brandon Triche played on the first Boeheim Army teams and was a a better played who had developed even more. Pro coaching.

I really think defense is over emphasized in college hoops across the board that coaches just want players to get better defensively and don’t develop this kids offensive skills.

Didn't love Howard but became a pretty competent PG by the end of it. He couldn't do anything as a feshman. Battle had a grown up game from day 1.

Our developmental 4 year guys don't stick around for four years anymore. There's no marketplace to be Kris Joseph or CJ Fair.

Marek didn’t develop.
Battle didn’t develop.
Howard etc.

I agree with all of that, but every player starts with a baseline. Brissett’s body control baseline was terrible here. He regularly double clutched on layups and tried to avoid contact. It’s more difficult to learn how to finish than it is to become a good shooter or ball handler IMO.

Didn't love Howard but became a pretty competent PG by the end of it. He couldn't do anything as a feshman. Battle had a grown up game from day 1.

Our developmental 4 year guys don't stick around for four years anymore. There's no marketplace to be Kris Joseph or CJ Fair.
Howard was our best PG as a freshman.
That was the final four team and Boeheim didn’t get him minutes in the preseason because Cooney couldn’t sit. Probably because Cooney was a better defender at the time.

I don’t think Howard was a success of player development coaching.
JB doesn’t waste time developing players he plays every game to win.
I don’t think our staff is good at player development.
We have 4 year players who don’t really improve from when they came in.
People wonder why somebody like Marek wouldn’t come back. Why come back here for free and play out of position when he can go pro in Europe and get better coaching. Marek didn’t change over 4 years. His usage may have varied but how did he improve.

Most kids with pro potential leave before seniors but our 4 years tell me where they develop like a Demetrius Nichols senior year outside of Michael Gbinije.
We don’t develop them because our starters are now marathon men and we don’t carry about the bench.

That was the final four team and Boeheim didn’t get him minutes in the preseason because Cooney couldn’t sit. Probably because Cooney was a better defender at the time.

People wonder why somebody like Marek wouldn’t come back. Why come back here for free and play out of position when he can go pro in Europe and get better coaching. Marek didn’t change over 4 years. His usage may have varied but how did he improve.

Most kids with pro potential leave before seniors but our 4 years tell me where they develop like a Demetrius Nichols senior year outside of Michael Gbinije.
We don’t develop them because our starters are now marathon men and we don’t carry about the bench.

I think we're probably average when it comes player development. Edwards and Hughes are recent guys that we've done very well at developing. There have also been some misses such as Brissett and Grant going back to a while back.

The SU motto is to take guys with decent athleticism that fit the zone and hope they get better offensively.

I think we're probably average when it comes player development. Edwards and Hughes are recent guys that we've done very well at developing. There have also been some misses such as Brissett and Grant going back to a while back.

The SU motto is to take guys with decent athleticism that fit the zone and hope they get better offensively.
That used to be the motto before the current rotation in the backcourt. It’s become about spacing and just be willing to play 100% zone.

That used to be the motto before the current rotation in the backcourt. It’s become about spacing and just be willing to play 100% zone.

True, but looking at next year's class it looks like it'll be going back to that motto

People compared him to Paul Harris, which was truly ridiculous. Harris was so much more efficient. Anyway, very happy for brissett finding his role.

Sure.

Howard had zippy handle when he got here. When he finished this place was up in arms that he DQ-ed himself b/c it cost us in March.

Marek wouldn't shoot an open jumper when he first got here for a carton of cigs. By the time he left he was knocking down shots.

Buddy is doing things on the court no one thought he could do when he got here. Edwards is doing things he wasn't doing when he got here.

Sure.

Howard had zippy handle when he got here. When he finished this place was up in arms that he DQ-ed himself b/c it cost us in March.

Marek wouldn't shoot an open jumper when he first got here for a carton of cigs. By the time he left he was knocking down shots.

Buddy is doing things on the court no one thought he could do when he got here. Edwards is doing things he wasn't doing when he got here.
So you think player development has been good?
How about the laundry list of players who have left and not gotten better.
It’s been subpar.

Why put up terrible shots with plenty of time on the clock?
Yes...the camera is on Cole and Joe.

It’s a big problem. It’s why the rotations have become shorter and shorter:

People don't want to put up with it and leave. Depends how you define development.

There hasn’t been development in years. Gbinije being an outlier doesn’t exactly make it better as he was a top 50 recruit to begin with. Watching how our freshman and sophomores are used these days, its plain to see why theres a lack of development. It’s not because they arent willing to put the work in, aside from a past guard

I dont think the current staff has any head coaching, at A top 100 school, chops. Obviously thats aside from Boeheim.

The programs stale. We’ll be a quality team in the future, of that I have no doubt. But that future isn’t currently on this staff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom