And there you go... | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

And there you go...

"And I’m guessing there was a reason beyond his play that Jalen didn’t get back in...and it wasn’t Boeheim trying to embarrass him. You read into these things and assume the worst about the coach all the time."
maybe there was some exchange. i don't know. nothing that has been reported. but if you're implying that HCJB doesn't regularly throw his own players under the bus on live mic then sir ... HISTORY is not on your side.

but if you're implying that HCJB doesn't regularly throw his own players under the bus on live mic then sir ... HISTORY is not on your side.

Eh, I think he just calls it the way he sees it. He's explaining why the kid was taken out. Tom Izzo throws his kids under the bus all the time. Bill Self at Kansas has done it. Who cares?

coaching staff named him starting point this season after much evaluation. why was that ? he blows ?
As he said in the presser, there really was no separation between the point guards in camp. When that's the case, usually experience wins out.

When the games start and he's not performing, and the guy behind him starts performing, you take him out. Plain and simple.

named gerardi as starter post game. to anyone's recollection here. unprecedented. a public shaming.
we then heard him tear down carey on the axe show. why ? save it for the locker room.

named gerardi as starter post game. to anyone's recollection here. unprecedented. a public shaming.
we then heard him tear down carey on the axe show. why ? save it for the locker room.

So he named Girard the starter. So what? How is that a public shaming?

“Jalen Carey has played four games this summer and he’s played four games, counting the two exhibition games,” Boeheim said, “so we have a lot of information to look at. And as far as last night’s game, Jalen just happened to get off to a start that was really not good.”

"We’re down 9-1 and he’s made all the plays that got us no points,” Boeheim said. “So at that point you have to make a substitution, and Joe Girard came in and did a very solid job. We got our offense going through him, largely because of his stability, and Brycen (Goodine) came in and did a really good job.”

"According to Boeheim, Carey’s six mistakes in five minutes were enough to make a substitution and the results back up the decision."

How is that tearing down Carey? Pretty sure he said Carey works hard in practice every day as well. Did you miss that part?

Sounds like JB was simply explaining why he made a change.

Last edited:
I think carey can be good. On the other hand I don’t care if he transfer. If he loses the starting battle then clearly we have someone better. Stars and rankings don’t matter once you get to college. Best man wins

are you just trolling? We played a pretty good game with many positives and you don’t have a single positive post but have about 20 negative ones. All you do is bitch about something.

And learn to spell our Pgs name. It’s Girard, not Gerardi.

One of our better players? I'm sorry, but what has he shown in game situations that makes you think that? Outside of the UConn game last season, I don't think you can make a claim like that.
cts

Did you notice how cuse10 stopped posting in this thread? That was a smart move on his part. All of his posts were in the heat of the moment and probably under the influence of something or other. What’s your excuse two days later?

Carey has some thing in his mind that is blocking him from playing fluidly. If I had to guess, he seems like the kind of guy who thinks he should be treated special because of who he is, or thinks he is. He looks like a prototype baller, but up to this point he hasn't done anything special.

Last edited:
i've seen nothing special but i do see potential there. guy has a yoyo handle and speed. i don't want him to leave. staff needs to develop and not discourage his talent. anyone who thinks him leaving is a plus is misguided imo. team is thin talent wise already.

i've seen nothing special but i do see potential there. guy has a yoyo handle and speed. i don't want him to leave. staff needs to develop and not discourage his talent. anyone who thinks him leaving is a plus is misguided imo. team is thin talent wise already.

You don’t have to be the starting PG to develop your talent.

IMO you keep working and get better and earn your minutes by playing better when you get the chance. He’s still only at the beginning of his sophomore year. Why is it some big outrage if he’s not the starting PG yet?

I love his athleticism, but he’s gotta play a lot better. If he doesn’t, and other guys do, then it is what it is. That’s competition.

so, any confirmation whether or not jalen practiced today?

Joe Girard is going to have games where he doesn't miss a shot from anywhere on the floor( slight exaggeration, but not much), that's what caliber of shooter he is. And, he involves other players in the offense and brings great energy to the game. I can'tsee what Carey counters that with.

It’s not just the staff’s job to develop the kid. He has to put in the work. The staff is certainly not discouraging his talent. They are trying to make him better, but they can only do so much. You always want to blame the staff. The kid has to be accountable for his own development.

we played 2 games. (more if you count pre season) staff should know what we got by now. sitting out the game after 5 minites helps him how ? breed resentment ? yes you succeeded there. now you got issues.

we played 2 games. (more if you count pre season) staff should know what we got by now. sitting out the game after 5 minites helps him how ? breed resentment ? yes you succeeded there. now you got issues.

Think JB said we’d need 10-12 games to figure out what we got.

As far as you know Carey did or said something to warrant not going back in the game. Maybe there’s a good reason.

Think JB said we’d need 10-12 games to figure out what we got.

As far as you know Carey did or said something to warrant not going back in the game. Maybe there’s a good reason.
total speculation on your part til proven otherwise. as i said above wouldn't shock me but not a fact today.

Carey is a sophomore highly recruited player who got a lot of playing time last year and and should know the system by now. He came out against UVA and didn't provide anything, then, he came out against Colgate and looked like a freshman or a walkon. Shouldn't a guy like that be taking over the game?

you mean a lot of early playing time. we didn't see him much late . (check the logs) practically no minutes last spring. he was 1-6 against UVA. (as was girard.) you yank a starter 5 minutes in against colgate. (who we beat like 50 times in a row. ) and not return him to the line up ? that's a coaching decision and not a wise one IMO.
Like last season, Carey played himself to the bench on merit. Whether he remains there will be determined by how he performs in practice and in upcoming games. It's really up to him. JB is not going to bury or run off a player who can help the team win games, no matter how many times you say otherwise.

again. have one of your many guards asst coaches talk to jalen first half and explain where he needs to get better. nobody played great those first 5 minutes to put us behind. it wasn't 1 dude. start jalen the 2nd half a nd see what happens. if no improvement there you go. you sub him and this thread disappears. to freeze him out for the remainder of an easy victory blows this up and poisons your player relationship moving forward.
i get that JB wants to win. if we can't beat colgate with jalen carey playing the full 40 minutes then jimmy you got a long season ahead with NIT written on the cake. this could have been resolved in house. instead JB chooses to make it a public shaming for one of our better players. shame on him.
One of our better players? I think this is yet to be proven or even indicated for the future, not saying he can not be but he would need to show great improvement. Right now he is mediocre at best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom