And there you go... | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

And there you go...

Speaking of confidence, I saw some growth in Marek in that regard last night. His hustle has always been there and hopefully his shooting confidence will improve. Last night he was 2-3 FG, 3-4 FT and 6 boards (4 offensive). Obviously his end to end rush with a spin move for a dunk was dramatic.
They set play that was run for him to end the first half was huge to me. The fact that he’s getting to looked to exploit matchups and be a threat in that nature speaks volumes to how far he’s come.

Today, he tries to control everything.

That is very thought-provoking statement.

There is no question that, if you catch one of our games from 30 years ago on ESPN Classic, we played very differently back then compared to today.

MUCH more emphasis on defense. Is that being more controlling? Good question.

Does the offense have any more structure than it did 30 years ago? Does JB call more plays today than he did 30 years ago? Does he try to get the ball into certain guys' hands more today than he did 30 years ago? I'm honestly not sure.

I would suspect that he does, possibly primarily because our margin for error is so much smaller now than it was back then because of both our talent level back then and the fact that the the play from 83-86 was whatever Pearl wanted to do that trip up the court and from 87-89 was whatever Sherm wanted to do that trip up the court and those two guys were two of the best ever to wear orange...

Plus those guys had so much talent around them, especially Sherm...

Great post...

Last edited:
Carey is a two guard, plain and simple.
A 2G that cannot shoot the rock, I do not think that would work very well. Develop a consistent jumper and then possibly. He could still be a point with a consistent mid range shot. He is fast enough to beat people off the dribble but his decisions and abilities once he does that are where his game falls apart.

A 2G that cannot shoot the rock, I do not think that would work very well. Develop a consistent jumper and then possibly. He could still be a point with a consistent mid range shot. He is fast enough to beat people off the dribble but his decisions and abilities once he does that are where his game falls apart.
a change of pace 2 guard who can get into the lane and draw fouls has value. especially one who is an excellent defender

a change of pace 2 guard who can get into the lane and draw fouls has value. especially one who is an excellent defender
You are seeing more in his defense than I ever have, and in the modern game a 2G that cannot hit anything but a layup(and not many of those) much less the 3ball is simply a non starter in every way.

I think playing "favorites" IS the reason Jimmy is at Cornell and Buddy at SU. I think Jimmy got "Boeheimed".
I kid.
Jimmy is in exactly the right place for Jimmy. He had interest from Harvard (he's an outstanding student), but he chose Cornell because he thought he would get more playing time there, as well as getting an Ivy League education. He is leading Cornell in scoring and minutes played this year

Last edited:
Hope Carey sticks around and carves out a role for himself, but I honestly dont see him staying past this season. The writing is on the wall, JG3 has passed him in the pecking order and is most likely not going to relinquish the starting PG spot. Joe seems to have a much better feel for the game and understands how to set someone up by using a change of pace, spacing and angles, or taking advantage of a defender overplaying him or even a teammate. Small sample, but kid might be the most cerebral player we have had in a long time.
Not to get to far ahead of the time, but I look forward to seeing what this backcourt of Buddy and Joe can do. They look comfortable together out there now, hard to imagine just how good a junior JG3 and senior Buddy backcourt could be.

Jimmy is in exactly the right place for Jimmy. He was recruited by Harvard (he's an outstanding student), but he chose Cornell because he thought he would get more playing time there, as well as getting an Ivy League education. He is leading Cornell in scoring and minutes played this year

So we're one little decision by Jimmy (to focus on education) away from having a starting lineup of Girard, Boeheim, Boeheim!

To date, his success in the lane is minimal.

That’s what’s kinda baffling about him. I can’t really remember many impressive finishes or passes off penetration from him. It’s usually a missed shot or a turnover. And he seems to get blocked at a high rate. With his athleticism you’d think he’d be decent at finishing at the rim.

Maybe in time he will be. But for a guy whose not much of an outside threat and who hasn’t demonstrated that good of passing ability, he kinda needs to be able to get to the rack and score decently right now, to be a factor.

Only thing I’ve really seen offensively so far is flashes of a midrange game, and the ability to run the floor and get layups here and there.

So we're one little decision by Jimmy (to focus on education) away from having a starting lineup of Girard, Boeheim, Boeheim!

I wonder if there’s a chance he finishes his degree early, and pulls the grad transfer to SU move for his final year of eligibility?

His job is to help distribute. Not just “get to the rim.” How come the offense ran better with Girard out there then carey
Well as TomCat said, Girard is a PG Carey is not. That may be why...

I wonder if there’s a chance he finishes his degree early, and pulls the grad transfer to SU move for his final year of eligibility?

I've been wondering about this for awhile now too...

the verbal commits tables show that is just not true.

jb has lost 2 kids to transfer the last 4 classes
some comparisons (i'm not counting former walk ons):
duke has lost 3
louisville has lost 2
virginia has lost 2
kansas has lost 7 (including 1 who left the team without transferring)
arizona has lost 4
kentucky has lost 4 kids
villanova has lost 3
yeah but those tables don't show which players leave because of the coach being mean
i don't know about eastcoast2, but every coach i ever played for had a mean gear and shifted into it often
If you've watched the game for the past 5+ years, you would see it. Look at how players respond to being taken out of the game by JB. Does Coach K/Roy/Self/Cal/ etc. have players yelling back at him? Watch for 5 minutes and count the eye rolls and distancing from JB. Things were completely different with Hopkins around to play good cop and smooth things over, and actually coach the players. How many SU players does JB need to trash to the media to make a point? Remember "(Roberson) is only starting because there's nobody else..."? Have you ever heard another coach say anything remotely like that? Ever hear a head coach say his player made a mistake by entering to the draft and he's not ready?

The players don't like or respect JB. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

No, that’s an opinion. Ever wonder why so many former players come back? Ever been to a final 4 game and seen the hordes of former players? Far more than any other team participating.
JB is truly liked by many of his former players. I wonder how many post Hop players will end up coming back to SU games.

If you've watched the game for the past 5+ years, you would see it. Look at how players respond to being taken out of the game by JB. Does Coach K/Roy/Self/Cal/ etc. have players yelling back at him? Watch for 5 minutes and count the eye rolls and distancing from JB. Things were completely different with Hopkins around to play good cop and smooth things over, and actually coach the players. How many SU players does JB need to trash to the media to make a point? Remember "(Roberson) is only starting because there's nobody else..."? Have you ever heard another coach say anything remotely like that? Ever hear a head coach say his player made a mistake by entering to the draft and he's not ready?

You are losing the argument and are beginning to make things up in your head.

No, that’s an opinion. Ever wonder why so many former players come back? Ever been to a final 4 game and seen the hordes of former players? Far more than any other team participating.

And even guys who used to 'feud' with JB while at Cuse - Paul Harris and Dion are some recent examples - have since stated that JB was right all along, they were wrong, and they should have listened to him more.

Jimmy is in exactly the right place for Jimmy. He was recruited by Harvard (he's an outstanding student), but he chose Cornell because he thought he would get more playing time there, as well as getting an Ivy League education. He is leading Cornell in scoring and minutes played this year

I think it's possible -- especially since it will likely coincide with the end of the father's career.

Jimmy made the right choice going to Cornell, both on and off the court. He also didn't have Buddy's "pedigree," wasn't as highly rated, etc. He could have chosen to come to SU and ride the pine, but instead he went to a place where he could both play and get an elite education.

And as circumstance would have it, instead of just rounding into "a guy," he's become "THE guy" for that program. That was no given. But I think he's proven that he could play and contribute at a bigger program. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him look to grad transfer to SU.

^ ^ ^ H0t Take thread candidate ^ ^ ^

Opinion does not equal fact. And you stated an opinion.

Edit: oops - sorry rrlbees . Missed your post above.

I agree with this but am curious if that is recent vintage alums as well as the older alums?

That is very thought-provoking statement.

There is no question that, if you catch one of our games from 30 years ago on ESPN Classic, we played very differently back then compared to today.

MUCH more emphasis on defense. Is that being more controlling? Good question.

Does the offense have any more structure than it did 30 years ago? Does JB call more plays today than he did 30 years ago? Does he try to get the ball into certain guys' hands more today than he did 30 years ago? I'm honestly not sure.

I would suspect that he does, possibly primarily because our margin for error is so much smaller now than it was back then because of both our talent level back then and the fact that the the play from 83-86 was whatever Pearl wanted to do that trip up the court and from 87-89 was whatever Sherm wanted to do that trip up the court and those two guys were two of the best ever to wear orange...

Plus those guys had so much talent around them, especially Sherm...

Great post...

I think most analysts would agree that Division I coaching in general is a lot more controlling than it was a generation ago.

Player fundamentals are worse. Player turnover is higher. And the use of analytics has increased significantly.

You could argue that Boeheim and others would be crazy not to tighten up the reins in light of those changes.

Doesn't mean I like the style of play, but I understand why he's doing what he's doing.

Longtime coach and student of the game >>>>>>>> some first-year point guard who learned the position his senior year of high school.
As you said, it's not like deferring to and trusting a Sherman Douglas who's played with the same guys for three years and is another coach on the floor.

JB is truly liked by many of his former players. I wonder how many post Hop players will end up coming back to SU games.

they will

I agree with this but am curious if that is recent vintage alums as well as the older alums?
Alums cannot typically come back until their hoops careers are over. So, most of the alums who do come back are older.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom