Andre Szmyt waived by Chicago/playing for UFL Battlehawks | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Andre Szmyt waived by Chicago/playing for UFL Battlehawks

Fair enough. I’ll give you the “strong leg” is maybe a stretch but it’s possible they just meant that as he’s a really solid, dependable kicker. Probably not. Either way, he was a highly regarded kicker going into the draft.
I agree, if his head is on straight; Szmyt can be a decent kicker. The kid had a magical season, which was great for him. But, the last two seasons have been unremarkable at best.

Writing was on the wall when Cairo Santos was still kicking late into the 4th quarter of their preseason game.

I realize you’re just trolling and you know better than the experts. You are our in-house football scout expert. But…..

NFL draft website:
“Szmyt has been excellent in his four-year career at SU and it’s very popular to see kickers getting selected in the latter rounds. He has a cannon for a leg and is normally a clutch kicker when called upon. Look for Szmyt to be a 7th round draft pick or a HPFA.”

Rams local paper - discussing potential players they could draft:

Szmyt was PFN’s second-ranked kicker:

Pro Football Network:
“Great from distance through his career, Andre Szmyt is back for his fifth year of handling the kicking duties for Syracuse. A lifetime 82.3% field-goal kicker, Szmyt is nearly automatic from within 40 yards. He also proved to be able to make big kicks at big times and has ample leg strength to kick on Sundays.”
I’ve never seen Andre as having a cannon for a leg.

I’ve never seen Andre as having a cannon for a leg.
if you said 55 yds I would have been surprised. Maybe he has gotten his leg stronger, he couldnt even kick off because he couldnt really get it to the goal line consistently.

Hoping he gets a shot somewhere during the season
Back-in-the-day, I vaguely remember watching Dave Jacobs, who was a beast at SU, shank like 3 fgs in the NFL, and me feeling really bad for him. It was obvious the pressure had gotten to him, and he was cut shortly after that.
Andre needs to get areal shot somewhere, but kickers are a dime a dozen in the league.

Last edited:
Back-in-the-day, I vaguely remember watching Dave Jacobs, who was a beast at SU, shank like 3 fgs in the NFL, and me feeling really bad for him. It was obvious the pressure had gotten to him, and he was cut shortly after that.
Andre needs to get areal shot somewhere, but kickers are a dime a dozen in the league.
I remember seeing Dave Jacobs kicking for the Cleveland Browns during a pre-season game in Rich Stadium in the summer of 1984.

It was towards the end of the pre-season and I was under the impression that he was going to make the team.

I don't recall if he played for the Browns during the regular 1984 season.