Class of 2016 - Andrew White iii... the third | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Andrew White iii... the third

Status
Not open for further replies.
White has been described by coaches and teammates at both Kansas / Nebraska as having a great attitude, being a great teammate, and not being a guy who is difficult on or off the court.

The only reference to ostensible "chemistry" problems come from speculative posts jumping to the conclusion that he'd be a problem since he hasn't committed as early as some fans would like.

Based upon his track record, I doubt White would be a chemistry problem here.
I think AW3 was told his role here. And unlike OF13, I think there may be some things AW3 will have to settle for here - for instance playing most of his time at the 3. So, there is the possibility some other place could be tempting.

But if AW3 decides to take the SU role, I believe he will have accepted his role and be a team player.

Syracuse did offer him everything he wants plus Newhouse.

Can't say anything more.
Well, doctor (can I call you doctor?)... if SU offers everything he wants... you are basically implying that his dad is a control-freak puppeteer with airfare miles to burn to explain away all this drama. Which is fine by me if that's the case... but I think we all have reason for agida. Too many red flags that we're trying to sweep under the carpet.

Last edited:
Was it chemistry or those teams having fairly significant Achilles heel issues?

I mean, I guess you could refer to Edelin during that timeframe, but I view that as more of a team disruption than a chemistry issue.

Edit--maybe McCroskey? If that's the case, then you're probably right.
Both of those were handled. If a player doesn't buy in, he stays on the bench. A guy like McCroskey can transfer. In White's case, he can leave the team and play in Europe for the rest of the year. I'm not concerned. I think that's something the team can overcome...IF it happens.

Last edited:
Well, doctor (can I call you doctor?)... if SU offers everything he wants... you are basically implying that his dad is a control-freak puppeteer with airfare miles to burn... to explain away all this drama. Which is fine by me if that's the case... but I think we all have reason for agida. This many red flags should not be ignored.
These red flags were present in TT and we got him ;)

I can't wait to move the direction of this conversation from him coming to Syracuse to just how much benefit he REALLY is. Doesn't sound like he has MM's heart and attitude.

These red flags were present in TT and we got him ;)

I can't wait to move the direction of this conversation from him coming to Syracuse to just how much benefit he REALLY is. Doesn't sound like he has MM's heart and attitude.

What percentage do you think this conversation moves to that direction ?

Syracuse did offer him everything he wants plus Newhouse.

Can't say anything more.
OM13 - this is representative of one of your frustrating type posts.

It is hard to believe SU offered everything he wants. His playing time probably max's out at around 30 mpg's. And he will probably be spending the majority of his time at the 3.

If he had everything he wanted, I don't think he would even bother with Miami. He's looking at what they have to offer. Reasonable, in my book.

Doesn't mean he won't eventually come to SU. Just means that there are things he needs to accept with the SU offer that he may feel could be better.

OM13 - this is representative of one of your frustrating type posts.

It is hard to believe SU offered everything he wants. His playing time probably max's out at around 30 mpg's. And he will probably be spending the majority of his time at the 3.

If he had everything he wanted, I don't think he would even bother with Miami. He's looking at what they have to offer. Reasonable, in my book.

Doesn't mean he won't eventually come to SU. Just means that there are things he needs to accept with the SU offer that he may feel could be better.
I completely understand where you're coming from. If I could say more I would. I was warned my moderators and others to be more vague and they made a great point.

We will SOON look back at this and laugh and/or shake our heads.

I'm more concerned about him playing for himself instead of Syracuse than I am about committing to us publicly.

Be careful what you ask for...

I had a dream that he's been pretty demanding to the non coaching SU staff.

This team compares favorably to the '10 team, which is my favorite team of all-time and one we'd all probably agree is about the 3rd best or better in program history. Comparing across seasons isn't ideal, but I went through the numbers and we have a match for just about every player on that team. The players that don't match up perfectly (Onuaku) are made up in other areas (12 foot tall Chukwu).

That's partially the bases for my thinking.

I'd love to agree, I just don't.

Like you, I loved the 2010 squad. Pleasure to watch that bunch. Time will tell if your comparison is apt. White would solve numerous issues that worry me about our roster single handedly, and be a very nice complimentary piece of the puzzle to the otherwise solid group we already have.

I'm greedy--I want to win another @#$ national championship!!!

I'm more concerned about him playing for himself instead of Syracuse than I am about committing to us publicly.

upload_2016-8-1_13-3-19.png

Okay--so shifting gears about, White is taking an unofficial, self-funded trip to Coral Gables today. Looks like it is a steamy 91 degrees today:

upload_2016-8-1_12-5-48.png

Too bad it isn't raining--a torrential downpour to ruin the trip would be nice.

Back to White: is this a one day trip? And if so, how quickly can / should we expect to hear something from the player?

Last edited:
The infamous '01-02 Shumpert/Williams fiasco is always the first that comes to my mind.
The most infamous team collapse in Syracuse Basketball history. It's like a switch was turned off and the team went into complete dysfunction. All it takes is one bad apple that is in a position which by necessity needs to be relied upon and the dysfunction can resonate throughout the entire team.

Not saying at all that's what would happen with White but the importance of chemistry cannot be understated and the sports world is replete with examples of bad chemistry spelling ruin for teams with considerable talent. For myself I am completely comfortable with deferring to JB to assess what is best for the team and I've got confidence that he can manage whatever needs to be managed with the team.

I'm still failing to see the relevance in the timeframe since a team last imploded. I said it could happen, it happened recently enough. Maybe somebody can explain the relevance of 14 years to me. (oh, 14 years isn't "recently enough". X happened 14 years ago, does that mean there's a problem with Y? blah blah blah")

And we can all certainly point to examples of teams that might not have completely collapsed but obviously didn't perform up to their standards due in part to chemistry issues. I'm not about to fish out specific examples but you'll find more than one instance between approximately '05 and '09.

I agree with basically none of that. "14 years ago" was a long time ago and it's the only example I can think of that was even somewhat recent.

Those 06-08 teams just weren't very good...more due to recruiting misses and injuries than chemistry in my opinion.

It's pretty rare to watch a Cuse team where the right guys aren't taking the right shots, in my opinion. I think guys knowing their roles and playing them are one of the program's strengths.

Flacusian said:
The most infamous team collapse in Syracuse Basketball history. It's like a switch was turned off and the team went into complete dysfunction. All it takes is one bad apple that is in a position which by necessity needs to be relied upon and the dysfunction can resonate throughout the entire team. Not saying at all that's what would happen with White but the importance of chemistry cannot be understated and the sports world is replete with examples of bad chemistry spelling ruin for teams with considerable talent. For myself I am completely comfortable with deferring to JB to assess what is best for the team and I've got confidence that he can manage whatever needs to be managed with the team.
If you'd spent anytime at Harry's that season you'd know why!

In the dream do you think it was more him or his father?

The most infamous team collapse in Syracuse Basketball history. It's like a switch was turned off and the team went into complete dysfunction. All it takes is one bad apple that is in a position which by necessity needs to be relied upon and the dysfunction can resonate throughout the entire team.
DeShaun Williams was a once-in-a-generation player in that regard.

DeShaun Williams was a once-in-a-generation player in that regard.
If I remember correctly, he was a top 50 recruit at a time when we weren't getting many top 50 recruits. We were staying competitive with guys that played above their ranking. I don't think we would take Deshaun now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom