Class of 2016 - Andrew White iii... the third | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Andrew White iii... the third

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the end, that may be true. But that doesn't mean it is a done deal now. Just because things are being made ready for his entry in to a grad program doesn't mean that he has decided to attend Syracuse. He may be a strong lean and in the end, go to Syracuse. But there is a reason he hasn't said publicly I'm going to Syracuse. In this case, it's not official until Jon Rothstein says it is. The White's have chosen Jon as their P.R. guy.
You are right, sir. . Something like: " it ain't done until the fat lady sings". (actually I replaced Yogi's "over" with "done", just to fit the scenario). Just to show how seriously this affects me, I am not leaving my hammock until he signs.

You are right, sir. . Something like: " it ain't done until the fat lady sings". (actually I replaced Yogi's "over" with "done", just to fit the scenario). Just to show how seriously this affects me, I am not leaving my hammock until he signs.

This one isn't actually a Yogi-ism. He said "it's not over til it's over."
The Fat Lady Sings thing was from someone else, and then re-used during a few different sports broadcasts, and then i thought it was made nationally famous by Dandy Don Meredith during a Monday Night Football game, but i can't be sure of that.

The positive spin.

The Miami visit by AW3 indicates JB didn't offer AW3 everything, so AW3 is considering other options.

I hope JB has told AW3 he plays mostly at the 3. I think AW3 would prefer the 2. But I hope JB didn't go there, I want to see FH continue to develop. If AW3 played the 2, FH's time would get squeezed.

I hope JB talked about around 25-30 mpg's. Of course AW3 would like more, but for SU there are a lot of talented players and I would like to see us go at least 8 deep.

So if AW3 commits to SU, he is hopefully fully accepting the role discussed with JB. And that role will fill the largest SU team needs.

Look, let's put this to rest. We only have 3 other guards, and none of them excel at shooting the three. Gillon and Battle are drive and dish (or drive and score) guys. They need a guy to kick out to who is a dependable shooter from deep. Yes, AW3 will be able to play some 3, but we've got more guys in the front court than we do in the back court. This is not that complicated, guys. Who do we need more this year at guard - Frankie Howard or Mr. White?

That's just crazy. If you didn't watch Frank play last year as a freshman, with no leash to take any shots, and not come away impressed and excited about what he could accomplish over the next three years you are out of your mind. I don't expect him to come out being a sniper and score 20 a game, but I would not be scared to hand him the keys, should we miss out on a top level PG. He will be an amazing floor general when it's all said and done. Simply put, Gillon is probably a better scorer from distance at this point of his career compared to Frank, in an area that we may, and I stress may, struggle with this year.

Frank can run the offense and find the open man. He runs the break under control with his head up, looking for the pass. He plays fairly good defense; better than Kaleb Joseph, at least. He also shot about 28% from the floor last year and only 10% from three. If this kid is the starter next year, we are a .500 team in the ACC. Gillon is a guy who scored 16 PPG last year for a pretty decent program, he hits his free throws and over 3 years has hit about 36% or so from three. Solid guy and very quick down the floor.

Tyus Battle chose us because Boeheim told him he can play some PG, but he won't start at PG, he'll start at the two. It will likely be Gillon and Battle as the starting backcourt.

The pitch to White is that you will be the third guard - when Gillon comes out, Battle moves to PG and you are the 2G when Battle is at the point. At other times, we may play you at the three and Lydon at the four when we want to go with our most offensive minded lineup.

White is not starting at the three; Lydon is. JB is on record as saying Lydon will likely be a draft pick this year. He's not sitting for White, but White can get 25-3o minutes a game on this team with the lineup we have.

Roberson is a senior. He will start at the four. Coleman is a senior; he will start at center.

As the season goes on, Chukwu will probably get more minutes at center than Coleman. Thompson likely spells Roberson at the four.

Now that Moyer is hurt, he will miss some early season time and will be a bit behind the other guys. He looks too skinny still for a front court player. I hope his injury isn't serious, but Thompson seemed to come on strong this spring and might help us on the inside. We got bullied inside by a half dozen different teams last year; that's why I think Thompson sees at least 10 minutes a game this year, maybe more depending on Roberson's consistency.

Why would he leave in this scenario? Even if he's the fourth guard in 2016 - 2017 (and he won't be) of the three ahead of him two will exhaust their eligibility (Gillon and White) and the third is seen as a likely one and done.

Exactly! Let him improve his shooting this year. He will practice against Gillon, which will make him a better player. Then next year, White, Gillon and maybe Battle are all gone, and he's the only returning guard, and a likely starter, or worst case, the third guard in the rotation, if we were to land two Top 50 recruits.

I see what you mean, but I find it hard to believe he committed to Syracuse on his visit without a guarantee to start. He cancelled his last two visits to Oklahoma and Texas A&M before he left campus. I don't think he does that without a promise of some sort.

JB doesn't make guarantees, other than you will get time at the position we see you in. If you play well, you'll get your minutes. It's not who starts, it's who finishes.

Look, let's put this to rest. We only have 3 other guards, and none of them excel at shooting the three. Gillon and Battle are drive and dish (or drive and score) guys. They need a guy to kick out to who is a dependable shooter from deep. Yes, AW3 will be able to play some 3, but we've got more guys in the front court than we do in the back court. This is not that complicated, guys. Who do we need more this year at guard - Frankie Howard or Mr. White?
We currently have 3 playable guards, 2 playable forwards, and 3 playable centers (if you count Lydon there too). The obvious need for SU is at forward.

We need a Mal replacement. Mal played the 3.

We currently have 3 playable guards, 2 playable forwards, and 3 playable centers (if you count Lydon there too). The obvious need for SU is at forward.

Moyer is a playable forward. He sprained his foot. And he can give us some minutes if needed.

My guess is that White is trying to confirm he will be no lower than 7th on the roster...

I don't see a problem with saying that at all. He will mostly likely be ahead of Frank, Moyer and Thompson. On paper, he should not be afraid of any of those players. He score 16 PPG and shot 41% from three IN THE BIG 10. If you are in the top 7 on this team, you are going to play at least 25 minutes a game. Close the damn deal. This is beyond tedious.

Exactly! Let him improve his shooting this year. He will practice against Gillon, which will make him a better player. Then next year, White, Gillon and maybe Battle are all gone, and he's the only returning guard, and a likely starter, or worst case, the third guard in the rotation, if we were to land two Top 50 recruits.
Demoting FH to the 4th guard and the corresponding reduction in minutes is a terrible way to develop guards.

Most people would like to naturally give more minutes to players as they progress, and I am hoping this is the case with FH this year.

If FH goes to 4th and sees those kind of limited minutes, it is certainly reasonable that he would consider leaving. How would he know for sure the same treatment would happen again. And even if he was fairly certain he would get more minutes he might even leave to put SU in a bind.

Lydon is very unlikely to play center this year, IMO.
Our forwards, in order of minutes played this year, should be (1) Lydon, (2) Roberson, (3) White, (4) Thompson.

Our centers should be (1) Coleman starting, (2) Chukwu getting a boatload of minutes, and (3) Thompson, the 6-10 newcomer, getting 5 or 10 minutes in games where the other 2 guys get into foul trouble.

The only way Rico is back at the 5 is if we're playing Duke or somebody like that who goes small and it's a shoot-out and we're tying to come from behind. Otherwise, this is Rico's year to shine at what he does best, which is stretch the floor from the forward spot, swat some balls from the weak side, rebound and run the floor to find your spot for a jumper to finish the break.

Demoting FH to the 4th guard and the corresponding reduction in minutes is a terrible way to develop guards.

Most people would like to naturally give more minutes to players as they progress, and I am hoping this is the case with FH this year.

If FH goes to 4th and sees those kind of limited minutes, it is certainly reasonable that he would consider leaving. How would he know for sure the same treatment would happen again. And even if he was fairly certain he would get more minutes he might even leave to put SU in a bind.

So be it, dude. He shot TEN PERCENT from three last year and 28% overall, including layups. 28%. I like Frank's composure on the floor, but that's just not good enough to start for SU this year. It took Scoop a while to grow into his role. It took Allen Griffin and Z Sims a while. Frank can be one of those guys, but he's not a guy we are leaning on this year, unless White goes somewhere else. And then God help us, because teams are going to zone the crap out of us this year.

The worst thing about this ordeal is that it comes immediately after the long, drawn out, TT recruitment. It's like deja vu, all over again.
TT's indecision was more understandable- being a young man in his first rodeo. This AW thing has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. Just baffling why it's dragging out so long, imho.

And following the Thomas Bryant saga, which did not end well. Plus we still don't have a single commitment for the current recruiting cycle, despite having about 6 or 7 openings on the roster. And don't say "it's still early", please.

I would be surprised if Chewy is more effective than DC. This will be a learning year for Chewy. He was a non-entity for Providence and he has not played since. I expect an improved DC, and Chewy to come into his own next year.
Rico is an ideal sixth man. He can play anyplace in the frontcourt. No need for him to start especially since White, if he comes, will be senior. Expectations of Rico getting a high draft pick are not dependent on his starting. If the team does well and Rico is a key part of it, he will get all the credit he deserves.

Moyer is a playable forward. He sprained his foot. And he can give us some minutes if needed.
IMO, not really. I don't anticipate Moyer getting real minutes this year regardless of AW3's decision. Moyer will be developed slowly.

I would be surprised if Chewy is more effective than DC. This will be a learning year for Chewy. He was a non-entity for Providence and he has not played since. I expect an improved DC, and Chewy to come into his own next year.
Rico is an ideal sixth man. He can play anyplace in the frontcourt. No need for him to start especially since White, if he comes, will be senior. Expectations of Rico getting a high draft pick are not dependent on his starting. If the team does well and Rico is a key part of it, he will get all the credit he deserves.

Rico is a draft pick this year. He's already on the team. One sports magazine called him the 9th best player in college basketball the other day. He's not coming off the bench. It's beyond ridiculous to say so. Battle isn't going to be our starting PG, he's going to be the guy who shifts to PG when the starting PG goes out. Haven 't you watched JB's substitution patterns?

Moyer is playable and will get some minutes but I know he is not as far along as people within the program would have liked by now. Expect Thompson to get more minutes at least at the beginning of the season because he is actually further along and doing better in workouts than people anticipated.

Really think Frank Howard is our next great guard. Great size, uncanny vision and high level distribution skills, built well for transition, and just needs to get his shot down and consistent. This kid really is special.

If we do get White, we'll be absolutely loaded. I cannot wait to see us matchup vs. UNC, UVA and Duke.

There is absolutely nothing in this post that is accurate, IMO.

We have depth in the frontcourt--at the power positions, not at the 3. AW3 wouldn't play "some 3," he'll get the bulk of his minutes there--precisely because we don't have any other player on the current 9 man roster who is suited to play small forward.

What's not complicated is that players who can't dribble or pass don't play guard.

Respectfully, I-Matt, not trying to call you out. But I don't know what people are seeing here to suggest he'll play guard.

There is absolutely nothing in this post that is accurate, IMO.

We have depth in the frontcourt--at the power positions, not at the 3. AW3 wouldn't play "some 3," he'll get the bulk of his minutes there--precisely because we don't have any other player on the current 9 man roster who is suited to play small forward.

What's not complicated is that players who can't dribble or pass don't play guard.

Respectfully, I-Matt. But I don't know what people are seeing here to suggest he'll play guard.

I think what they see are visions of MCW. After him, every guy we bring in who's around 6'6"-6'7", people think will be the next big SU guard. Not everyone that size has MCW's handle and talent. Have people looked at AW--he's a muscular 6'7" too. He doesn't have the lateral quickness to play up top in the 2-3, plus what you said. Square peg in round hole for guard but he clearly would fill a huge area of need at small forward and could play some 2 offensively, if needed. All the minutes he'd get at wing would help him showcase his talents to the NBA and help us contend again too.

I think what they see are visions of MCW. After him, every guy we bring in who's around 6'6"-6'7", people think will be the next big SU guard. Not everyone that size has MCW's handle and talent. Have people looked at AW--he's a muscular 6'7" too. He doesn't have the lateral quickness to play up top in the 2-3, plus what you said. Square peg in round hole for guard but he clearly would fill a huge area of need at small forward and could play some 2 offensively, if needed. All the minutes he'd get at wing would help him showcase his talents to the NBA and help us contend again too.

Completely agree. And the people claiming that him playing primarily the 3 will hurt his NBA chances--Wes Johnson played 90% of his minutes at the 4 for us the one year he played at SU. That didn't impede him being a 3/2 in the pros.

White is a Mali replacement. We have a gaping hole at 3, and that's where he'd play. That's also where his skill set is [versus guard].

Completely agree. And the people claiming that him playing primarily the 3 will hurt his NBA chances--Wes Johnson played 90% of his minutes at the 4 for us the one year he played at SU. That didn't impede him being a 3/2 in the pros.

White is a Mali replacement. We have a gaping hole at 3, and that's where he'd play. That's also where his skill set is [versus guard].

Maybe someone in the White camp (daddy?) has delusions of AW playing guard here? That could be a sticking point. It would make a helluva lot more sense than bs like JB is in Rio. That is laughable and anyone who says that has zero credibility.

Like most people, I'm confident AW winds up at SU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseAlum07

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom