Class of 2016 - Andrew White III thread - COMMITTED | Page 75 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Andrew White III thread - COMMITTED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with a lot of what you wrote and think Lydon will start. However, I don't think he does at the 4 or 5. I think he starts at the 3 and Battle comes in off the bench. It's very rare for Boeheim to relegate a veteran who has started in the past to the bench. Roberson and Coleman will start even if Coleman is yanked at the first TV timeout. I think Boeheim makes the freshman earn it.
DC TR TL TB. JG/AW

A lot of people are chiming in with their thoughts on various lineup combos.

Here's my piece on all the possibilities JB can toy with:

SU Hoops: So Many Options – Otto's Grove
The reasons Dion didn't start had nothing to do a ith being a spark off the bench or the talent in front of him. It was keeping his ego in check. No need with TL, whose biggest issue seems to be that he doesn't know how good he is.

The reasons Dion didn't start had nothing to do a ith being a spark off the bench or the talent in front of him. It was keeping his ego in check. No need with TL, whose biggest issue seems to be that he doesn't know how good he is.
Well said.

Good point. Dion did show that you can flourish in the role and use it as a springboard to being a high NBA pick.

Exactly why I think Lydon should start...

Heat check!
That is Dickey 101. BTW, not sure why I put myself through it, but I checked the VCU board again, and they are still spewing the mass media BS about SU. Painfully misinformed, butthurt aholes over there. Syracuse doesn't play defense. Syracuse doesn't play OOC games unless they are easy and close to home. I wish we were closer to the Bahamas or Hawaii or on a battle ship in San Diego. You can't go further away than those places. I guess what bothers me is that is how the media portrays SU, while they make UK look like angels and gods, and the sheep just eat it up. Frustrating.

What a luxury it is to have 7 worthy starters. If everyone falls in to their roles and embraces them (big if), this rebuilding project (according to a very educated VCU fan, just might be lucky enough to make the NCAA Tournament.
Id say 8!!

Some would suggest that because he can play so many position so well that makes him the perfect person to bring off the bench to plug in where needed.

I hope he comes off the bench, honestly. I love when JB has an extraordinarily talented person coming in as the 6th man. I think it's a revolutionary coaching strategy. And psychologically I think it can F with another teams mind whether they're behind or ahead after a few minutes of play to know that the best player hasn't entered the game yet.
I'm with you. Having the supersub on the bench makes it so much easier for JB to use his bench.

If on the other hand, JB starts Gil, Battle, AW3, Lydon, and DC2 what happens if we fall behind? Most people wouldn't want to put in the more defensive minded players of PC, TR, and FH to try and score points. It just leads to a tighter, smaller lineup and I like when more players are used in the rotation.

I'm with you. Having the supersub on the bench makes it so much easier for JB to use his bench.

If on the other hand, JB starts Gil, Battle, AW3, Lydon, and DC2 what happens if we fall behind? Most people wouldn't want to put in the more defensive minded players of PC, TR, and FH to try and score points. It just leads to a tighter, smaller lineup and I like when more players are used in the rotation.

But you still aren't taking Lydon out in that situation. He just slides around to accommodate whoever else comes in. It will be interesting to see what happens. I would think JB would go small with Roberson pushing Lydon to the 5 and allowing Roberson to set screens and then attack the glass.

I would think JB would go small with Roberson pushing Lydon to the 5 and allowing Roberson to set screens and then attack the glass.
I really think we'll see a fair amount of this - probably more than people think. IMO

Maybe this was posted 2 threads ago for Andrew White III but it's a decent video of Andrew explaining himself and why he transferred from Kansas and the importance of his family and the number 3. I just watched it so it's new to me but it really shows a lot about this young man's character.

But you still aren't taking Lydon out in that situation. He just slides around to accommodate whoever else comes in. It will be interesting to see what happens. I would think JB would go small with Roberson pushing Lydon to the 5 and allowing Roberson to set screens and then attack the glass.
True, and then you have a very tight. limited rotation.

And in the other scenario where you start out with a lead, you would be reluctant to substitute because you had the advantage. Whereas, if you have the lead but have Lydon still to play, there isn't any hesitation.

In either scenario, subbing is a lot easier when you have a player like Lydon to bring in.

"It gives us another shooter that can play the two or the three." - James Arthur Boeheim

True, and then you have a very tight. limited rotation.

And in the other scenario where you start out with a lead, you would be reluctant to substitute because you had the advantage. Whereas, if you have the lead but have Lydon still to play, there isn't any hesitation.

In either scenario, subbing is a lot easier when you have a player like Lydon to bring in.

Well yeah if your best player starts on the bench then its always going to help to bring him in. I'd prefer to start my best player however and figure it out from there. We will have to see how things turn out.

I don't even think Jimmy know's who's going to start yet.

And justifiably so. Practice hasn't even begun yet.

BUT as many others have suggested in many other threads, [1] it is good to have options, and [2] this team has a lot of position versatility, [3] JB could utilize a lot of different potential combinations that could be effective for different situations, and [4] having a roster of 1-10 with this much talent means that practices are going to be competitive, and PT is going to have to be earned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom