Class of 2016 - Andrew White III thread - COMMITTED | Page 76 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Andrew White III thread - COMMITTED

Status
Not open for further replies.
And justifiably so. Practice hasn't even begun yet.

BUT as many others have suggested in many other threads, [1] it is good to have options, and [2] this team has a lot of position versatility, [3] JB could utilize a lot of different potential combinations that could be effective for different situations, and [4] having a roster of 1-10 with this much talent means that practices are going to be competitive, and PT is going to have to be earned.
I haven't been this excited to hear practice reports in years.

That is Dickey 101. BTW, not sure why I put myself through it, but I checked the VCU board again, and they are still spewing the mass media BS about SU. Painfully misinformed, butthurt aholes over there. Syracuse doesn't play defense. Syracuse doesn't play OOC games unless they are easy and close to home. I wish we were closer to the Bahamas or Hawaii or on a battle ship in San Diego. You can't go further away than those places. I guess what bothers me is that is how the media portrays SU, while they make UK look like angels and gods, and the sheep just eat it up. Frustrating.

It really is amazing how dumb and lazy so many people are.

Starters
Battle
White
Lydon
Roberson
Coleman

Rotation
Gillon
Howard
Pikachu

Minimal Mins
TT

RS
Moyer

This is the one that makes the most sense from every single standpoint I can think of. Regardless of what some on this forum think.

Battle, White, Lydon, Roberson is a better combination than any of the other four replaced by Gillon, unless you put Lydon at the 5 but Coleman is starting regardless due to JB's loyalty.

Gillon, Battle, White, Roberson, Lydon might be a lineup you see a lot.

This is the one that makes the most sense from every single standpoint I can think of. Regardless of what some on this forum think.

Battle, White, Lydon, Roberson is a better combination than any of the other four replaced by Gillon, unless you put Lydon at the 5 but Coleman is starting regardless due to JB's loyalty.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I don't think Gillon would come unless he was told he will start. I understand he came before White was in the picture. Many disagree ,
But I'll go with Gillon ,White ,Battle, Roberson , and Coleman -with Lydon first off the bench.

So many lineups that i like. And i think both lineups listed above can be very effective, especially against certain teams. A couple things- i just dont see Lydon as a 3 at the college level and maybe never. If Lydon and Roberson are out there together , who will be the 3? I guess its Lydon but not ideal to see a 69 guy who can really rebound floating on the perimeter, basically just being a spot up shooter. Especially when we already have a 67 spot up shooter in White. Would love to see Lydon develop some high and low post O skills, and i think he will this year. The second thing has been brought up by many posters, obviously RF: ball handling will be a weakness if Battle and White are the two guards, esp if Lydon is the 3.if Battle is the point guard, i would think its much more ideal to have him out there with Gillon as an outlet if theres too much pressure on Battle. I have watched White and he rarely takes more than two dribbles before he gets rid of the ball or shoots. That not much of an outlet if Battle is pressured full court

Not to beat a dead horse, but I don't think Gillon would come unless he was told he will start. I understand he came before White was in the picture. Many disagree ,
But I'll go with Gillon white battle Roberson Coleman with Lydon first off the bench.
This would be my prediction but so many possibilities. And in the end what is the lineup that sees the most mins? That is obviously most important

Last edited:
This would be my prediction but so many possibilities. And in the end what is the luneup that sees the most mins? That is obviously most important
Agree. In fact, I don't think my starting line up will see the most minutes. I think we'll see a variety of lineups depending on the matchup and who is hot. That's one of the great team attributes this year.

In the end it does make the most sense for the Most Versatile player to come off the bench. That way if one of three different starters are struggling or pissing Coach off, that bench player could come in for any of the three. I have assumed it will be Lydon cause Lydon could sub in at the 3-5 spots. But it could be Battle if JB could convince him to take on a Dion type role off the bench. Battle could sub in for the 1-3 spots (pg, sg or sf) and JB would say ok im putting the ball in your hands, make some plays, ala Dion

Cusefan0307 said:
I don't even think Jimmy knows who's going to start yet.

He doesn't. Going to be a wide open competition this year. I think the only players you can rule out are Thompson and Moyer.

Gillon, battle, white, Lydon, Howard, chuckwu, Roberson and Coleman will all be in the mix.

In the end it does make the most sense for the Most Versatile player to come off the bench. That way if one of three different starters are struggling or pissing Coach off, that bench player could come in for any of the three. I have assumed it will be Lydon cause Lydon could sub in at the 3-5 spots. But it could be Battle if JB could convince him to take on a Dion type role off the bench. Battle could sub in for the 1-3 spots (pg, sg or sf) and JB would say ok im putting the ball in your hands, make some plays, ala Dion
Jb really doesn't have to convince anyone of anything. Last I looked, he was the guy that gets to make the decisions. Not the players.

He doesn't. Going to be a wide open competition this year. I think the only players you can rule out are Thompson and Moyer.

Gillon, battle, white, Lydon, Howard, chuckwu, Roberson and Coleman will all be in the mix.
JB loves Thompson. Like surprising how much he loves him. I don't see him playing much but did I mention how much JB loves Thompson?

Jb really doesn't have to convince anyone of anything. Last I looked, he was the guy that gets to make the decisions. Not the players.
Oh i agree, but chemistry does matter . And lets face it, i think its not unprecedented at the d1 level to promise certain recruits that they will start from day one. Thats why Lydon makes the most sense to me, obviously he was never made that promise. Can we say the same for Gillon, White, Battle or even Paschal?
Edit- or even DC , he has started almost every single game in his career hes been eligible for. Who knows maybe he was made that promise

Last edited:

I agree we have 8 very capable starters. Thats my hope anyway, based on many things ive heard and read. But soon enough we get to actually see. Should be great

Starting to lean this way (that there are strong arguments all over the place on all this is an AWESOME problem to have), due to SU's best seasons since 2003. That year, SU had to come from behind, shockingly, 17 times in those 30 wins. Nearly a decade later, there were those 2 seasons where Scoop, Kris and Dion came off the bench, and SU would put on a lot of runs to put the game away, because most opposing teams didn't have subs of their own to match that quality.

Having Battle (who is known to be almost the intense alpha like Dion was; not as much tank-like strength, but a little taller) and Lydon come in together as subs could be devastating against nearly all ACC teams.

Last edited:
Starting to lean this way (that there are strong arguments all over the place on all this is an AWESOME problem to have), due to SU's best seasons since 2003. That year, SU had to come from behind, shockingly, 17 times in those 30 wins. Nearly a decade later, there were those 2 seasons where Scoop, Kris and Dion came off the bench, and SU would put on a lot of runs to put the game away, because most opposing teams didn't have subs of their own to match that quality.
I criticize JB all the time but obviously he knows what hes doing. I remember with Dion he would wait for their best perimeter defender to either get tired or go to the bench and in would come Dion. I still cant believe JB almost got to FF without Fab. If Dion had just finished 2-3 more times right at the rim like he usually did ... Would have been an amazing win.

I think JBs gonna have a lot of fun this season

I guarantee battle and Lydon start

FWIW, White still doesn't appear in the student directory. ;)

JB loves Thompson. Like surprising how much he loves him. I don't see him playing much but did I mention how much JB loves Thompson?
He's been my sleeper of this class. The alumni guys talked him up. Devo was glowing over facing a front line of TL, Chukwu and TT. Obviously, from his roster pic, TT's no string bean. He's built, and JB says he's "come on late". He's 6'10, and can score. Love to see him get minutes at PF next to Chukwu.

Last edited:

Interesting. I still think he dotes on his seniors/grads and Battle. I think # of mp is going to be in constant flux from game to game and whoever shows the most is going to get the most minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom