Andy Katz with no respect for Red and Judah | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Andy Katz with no respect for Red and Judah

Bees,

While we have a strong team with high potential, it is unproven in that a large part of the team has not played with one another. Two players are coming off of injuries. Four players are new to the team. The coach is new and unproven. His coaching strategies are not defined and it is not clear how he will be able to manage 13 pretty talented players. I am not including that 2 of top 3 scorers as well the top rebounder have moved on from the team.

You can‘t see how Andy Katz a paid college basketball analyst can leave Syracuse out of his top 25 and out his projected NCAA bracket.

I am a die-hard, positive Syracuse Basketball fan who sees a lot of potential in this team and wish them only the best for the next year and many years to come. I am unsure at this time before the team plays it’s first practice on how this team will fare this year.

First impression, I was pissed. Then after reading several posts and thinking about the how we may be viewed by outsiders, I can see how we are being overlooked due to our weak performances in recent years and our many changes going into next season. As it is said .....the ball is in our court! I know we are all excited with the roster Red and his staff have assembled along with the cherry on top Judah returning. Now it is up to the team to show everyone "Cuse is back". LETS GO ORANGE!

And even though Red has added a lot of athleticism to the roster, nobody was added that has already had proven success like Kansas adding Dickinson. Lot's of potential combined with uncertainty.
Perfectly said, my friend. Loads of potential, athleticism, etc. Cuffe barely has played in two years. Westry was injured. McLeod played spot minutes...but on paper, gonna be a fun roster!!

Who cares [not directed at the OP, clifton]?

We weren't very good last year, the perception is that we lost several key players, and Red is unproven.

Up to us to dispel that narrative and serve notice to the rest of the country. IMO, we have a lot to prove.

IMO #2 -- we have the squad to accomplish that goal.
When you lose players from what has been a bad team for 2 years, that isn't a loss.
That means they weren't very good, they weren't good enough to elevate the team to being good.
It's a team game and it's only as good as the sum of its parts.
We needed to start fresh without all the players who were part of the bad teams.

I don't disagree with you guys, but its the portal era. For a lot of teams what happened last year means nothing as so many parts will have changed. And if Red is half the coach as he is a recruiter, I feel pretty good about our chances. Our players will be ready to prove a lot next year.

Question for RF(and anyone): We all would have like to have seen Hop as our coach five ago. That never happened, so would you still have preferred Hop (and the same assistant coaches) or are you 100% all in with how the last two months have transpired.

Is there any holdouts for Hop or Jay Wright still?
All in with Red and crew. Great, great offseason

When you lose players from what has been a bad team for 2 years, that isn't a loss.
That means they weren't very good, they weren't good enough to elevate the team to being good.
It's a team game and it's only as good as the sum of its parts.
We needed to start fresh without all the players who were part of the bad teams.
Starting fresh is good but I don't think we needed to do it without Jesse.

You think so? Our team had a HOF coach the last two years that missed the tournament. We lost last year's top scorer and a double digit rebounder and scorer that also blocked 2.7 shots per game. We replaced that with a former assistant with no head coaching experience and some talented but unproven transfers. It certainly helps that our second leading scorer and most dynamic player returned. What exactly are the appropriate expectations from someone looking in from the outside? If we, as SU fans, were looking at any other team with the exact same circumstances, we'd probably mock him for having them too high. He's predicting we'll actually be better than the previous two years. Right now, I'll take that. Hopefully, we exceed it.

Syracuse was bad last season. They're not going to get the benefit of the doubt this early.
We lost a ton of points on paper and our transfers in weren't amazing last year.

At least 9/10 SU fans are happy with the roster overhaul I'm personally thrilled but expecting offseason national accolades is crazy. Its not FB either where starting the year unranked makes it a battle to claw to national respect we saw that last year and should have kicked off against Clemson with a higher number if we are undefeated at the end of November we very well could be ranked 1.
Cuse being on the outside of the bracket is somewhat understandable. The thing that really stood out to me is Katz has Miami as a two seed. They lost two of their better players including the ACC player of the year.

Its surprising that despite NIL keeping guys around longer that group of power teams on paper is pretty small if it even exists Purdue lost to a 16 seed, FAU is top 5, I'd take KU's last 2 teams over this one, Duke is Duke but not much scarier. Some recent offseason powerhouse programs have definitely gone backwards Gonzaga, Arizona, Arkansas.

I think USC deserves way more preseason love if we are going off recruiting hype and expectations.

Honestly given the way everyone the bed against Uconn and laid down and gave them a title they didn't even have to break a sweat earning I'm cool with SU fans being overconfident and optimistic.

Who cares [not directed at the OP, clifton]?

We weren't very good last year, the perception is that we lost several key players, and Red is unproven.

Up to us to dispel that narrative and serve notice to the rest of the country. IMO, we have a lot to prove.

IMO #2 -- we have the squad to accomplish that goal.
Exactly right.
It's June...who cares what anyone says now?

Right now...the Orange are Question Mark and the Mysterians.
No one knows whose year this is to step up his game...or whether anyone will.
And Red's record as a head coach is 0-0.

A lot of hope because there's a lot of talent...especially in the backcourt.
But all we know is that we've got a pretty good proven point guard coming back.

If you want to blame anyone for this non-ranking...blame Jesse.
If he was coming back the Orange would be top 25 pre-season.
Now let's forget about him and focus on the team that's there.

First impression, I was pissed. Then after reading several posts and thinking about the how we may be viewed by outsiders, I can see how we are being overlooked due to our weak performances in recent years and our many changes going into next season. As it is said ...the ball is in our court! I know we are all excited with the roster Red and his staff have assembled along with the cherry on top Judah returning. Now it is up to the team to show everyone "Cuse is back". LETS GO ORANGE!

Think of it this way...

What if Red can't HC and is a hot mess??

I am 100% orange goggles on this and am cautiously optimistic he will come up roses with the decent roster that has been put together, but I may very well be wrong in that optimism.

...in any event, no one should expect we get the benefit of the doubt from pundits.

That's fine and it's warranted.

We need to earn respect back and that's the way it should be.

And even though Red has added a lot of athleticism to the roster, nobody was added that has already had proven success like Kansas adding Dickinson. Lot's of potential combined with uncertainty.
Not to mention Red has never been an HC at this level. I think that’s a fair reason to be skeptical of our ceiling.

Not to mention Red has never been an HC at this level. I think that’s a fair reason to be skeptical of our ceiling.
Yeah. And that's not to insult him. I have high hopes. We just can't know, so anyone making predictions is smart to hedge their bets.

Yeah. And that's not to insult him. I have high hopes. We just can't know, so anyone making predictions is smart to hedge their bets.
I think Red gets an A so far in his most important task which is to acquire as many hi end players as you can get. That was JB’s first hurdle when he started. It got him through a few years of questionable coaching IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom