Another let down and disappointing season | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Another let down and disappointing season

Losing in the Sweet 16 often feels like disappointment to me. Losing in the Elite 8 to a Top 5 team when we lost our center at the start of the tourney is not disappointing to me. Especially in a game that was called much differently than any other game this year. Not even close. 3 loss season, Top 5 wire to wire (if Kentucky wins today) there's a lot to not be unhappy about. Kind of a miracle season given the off court stuff.
This pretty much sums up my feelings exactly. First time to the elite 8 in 9 years despite having their center suspended at the start of the tournament.

The thing I'll remember the most about the elite 8 game won't actually be the loss, but the refereeing and looking in complete disbelief in the second half as they showed the foul trouble graphic and there are 5 SU kids listed with (four with 4 fouls) and there's one OSU role player who has just picked up a third foul. The fact that the kids battled all the way to the end in spite of those huge obstacles will be my takeaway from that game.

Elite program goal should be, make the final four.. It will be 10 years next year... Completely unacceptable for a program like Syracuse.

What does "competely unacceptable" mean exactly in his context?

If I had an employee and found their work to be "completely unacceptable" that would signal some sort of action.

If a contractor were to complete a project and it were to be judged "completely unacceptable" I guess we would start moving towards a legal wrangle.

Is this more "Boeheim must go" nonsense wrapped up in a "failure to meet the minimum standards of an Elite program" cloak?

I am actually lost relative to the point of this post.

Elite program goal should be, make the final four.. It will be 10 years next year... Completely unacceptable for a program like Syracuse.
So, go cheer for KY. You'll be happy until their appearances are vacated.

What does "competely unacceptable" mean exactly in his context?

If I had an employee and found their work to be "completely unacceptable" that would signal some sort of action.

If a contractor were to complete a project and it were to be judged "completely unacceptable" I guess we would start moving towards a legal wrangle.

Is this more "Boeheim must go" nonsense wrapped up in a "failure to meet the minimum standards of an Elite program" cloak?

I am actually lost relative to the point of this post.

Yeah, that's where I'm confused. What exactly does "totally unacceptable" mean?

And by no means am I saying IB is wrong for believing it is unacceptable. Maybe our expectations should be higher for this program, I don't know.

What I do know is that recruiting has really never been better, and that's usually an indication that you shouldn't rock the boat, unless the results are really bad (NIT, first-round losses). And I don't think anyone would call the results over the last four years really bad. Just not quite elite.

People keep saying 3 final fours in 25 years not good, we need to remember the post standard almost destroyed the program in the 90's. It wasn't until we got Billy,Craig,Hak,Josh,Melo,Gerry that our recruiting became half of what in was pre probation. Not until 2007 with Donte,Jonny did we match 1987 with Derrick, Stevie. From 1992 until then we weren't elite in recruiting we've finally gotten back to 1983-1988 Pearl,Derrick,Stevie,Billy type of recruits with others in top 40 to support the stars. The 1996 team was like a butler or VCU a team with a star and a lot of luck where matchups fall into place for a great run but we were nowhere near being elite at that time.

Hey IB, I know it sucks we lost but perhaps you can look at it from this perspective

Curious, how many teams can boast the following accomplishments in the past 10 years?

- 1 National Title
- 1 Final Four
- 2 Elite 8's
- 4 Sweet 16 appearances
- 2 Conference Tournament Championships.
-2 Regular Season Conference Championships

I would have to say that very few teams can match these accomplishments and even fewer have surpassed them. With our recruiting the way it is and all the nationally televised games the program is in excellent shape, despite the scandals of this season.

Hey IB, I know it sucks we lost but perhaps you can look at it from this perspective

Curious, how many teams can boast the following accomplishments in the past 10 years?

- 1 National Title
- 1 Final Four
- 2 Elite 8's
- 4 Sweet 16 appearances
- 2 Conference Tournament Championships.
-2 Regular Season Conference Championships

I would have to say that very few teams can match these accomplishments and even fewer have surpassed them. With our recruiting the way it is and all the nationally televised games the program is in excellent shape, despite the scandals of this season.

My point is this and why I said that overall I am disappointed and feel as if the season came up short once again and I am not saying we didn't have a great rgeular season and I always say that the BET means nothing, sooner or later you need more quality runs deeper into the tournament. 1 final four in 10 years with what we have had talent wise the past 10 years is poor and disapponting and a let down

To sum it up, I find our performance in the tournament the past 25 years to be piss poor and discouarging compared to other programs who I feel we should be comparing ourselves too. DUKE, UNC, UCONN, MSU, KANSAS, DUKE, etc. Maybe we don't belong in that company, maybe I am off with that opinion but oh well, so be it. I don't feel entitled to anything, just my opinion of where the program should be.

Find my another 1 seed that feels that they should not be in the final four.

My point is this and why I said that overall I am disappointed and feel as if the season came up short once again and I am not saying we didn't have a great rgeular season and I always say that the BET means nothing, sooner or later you need more quality runs deeper into the tournament. 1 final four in 10 years with what we have had talent wise the past 10 years is poor and disapponting and a let down

To sum it up, I find our performance in the tournament the past 25 years to be piss poor and discouarging compared to other programs who I feel we should be comparing ourselves too. DUKE, UNC, UCONN, MSU, KANSAS, DUKE, etc. Maybe we don't belong in that company, maybe I am off with that opinion but oh well, so be it. I don't feel entitled to anything, just my opinion of where the program should be.

You may be disappointed but as i pointed out in previous post from probation 1992 to 2007 we were not anywhere near being elite as far as recruiting goes. Melo was the first top 10 recruit we had gotten since Billy in 1988 thats 14 years and we didn't get another until Donte, so relax and realize that now we are finally getting back to pre probation days. Pearl ,Derrick,Billy were 3 in 7 years, and Rony would have been had he been born in the USA.

All I will remember is the loss in the elite 8 as I have said 100 times this season thus game is all I will remember

Barrel! Sit in the corner and suck your thumb til next season. Next year when we get into the tournament and win it all you'll say well we didn't play that well or some bulls&%$. The WHINER EXTRAORDINNAIRE. Amazing.

We have underachieved in the tournament it's disappointing and it's becoming what were known for.

Disappointing ending. but not a disappointing season.

Why you are wrong:
My POV. Preseason goals:
Win 20 games in a row (break old record) done
Break Pitt dominance done
Be ranked #1 done 5 weeks in a row
Beat Georgetown Done
Beat UConn Done, not once, not twice but 3 times!
Break Louisville dominace Done, not once but twice!
Be BE champ, #1 seed BET Done
Win BET failed
Earn #1 NCCA seed, East Reginoal Done
Get to Sweet 16 Done
Get to Elite 8 Done
Get to Final 4
Get to Final 2
NC
Pretty impressive accomplishment, half of which would define a successful season in other years.

Great post. Every year they lace 'em up with the opportunity to win a conference championship, conference tournament, a regional and a NC. Win just one it is a good year. Win the NC it is a memorable year. Win more than one it is extra special. But this year was different. With all that happened this year, the program could have fallen off the rails. With all the wins and high ranking this was a very special year. But perhaps what made it more special was what did not happen.

IB the only reason we didnt make the final four two years in a row was because of bad luck. last your AO getting hurt cost us a final four and i believe a NC this year Fab cost us a final four and a shot at the championship. On top of that we were screwed in Boston. Ohio state went to the line 49 times. 24 more foul shots than Cuse. We had a great year actually a fantastic year sure it was a huge disapointment not advancing but still a year to remember with pride.

Bad luck might be considered one reason. From what I watched, though, it's far from the only reason or even a major reason. We failed to advance to the Final Four this year and in 2010 because we didn't play well enough. Got outplayed by Butler. Got outplayed by OSU. Final Four teams can't have four-minute scoring droughts or make four turnovers in six possessions with the game on the line.

But, yeah, we did have a memorable year and all our players (those who were still on the team as of two days ago, at least) have something to be proud of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom