Any chance Cano gets a look at another power position? | Syracusefan.com

Any chance Cano gets a look at another power position?

CaliCuse

All American
The Yankees have a few good looking prospects at 2nd base. With Cano a top level power guy,would they want to try and take a easier position for Robinson to extend his career? He might be able to play third or the outfield. Its just a thought,not a declaration of need at this time but his production this year has been among the super star levels.

The Yankees have a few good looking prospects at 2nd base. With Cano a top level power guy,would they want to try and take a easier position for Robinson to extend his career? He might be able to play third or the outfield. Its just a thought,not a declaration of need at this time but his production this year has been among the super star levels.

You do realize he might be one of the best hitters and fielders to ever play his current position, don't you? Why would you give up that advantage? And how will playing second base shorten his career anyway? The most demanding positions on the field are catcher, shortstop and centerfield.

Yeah
You do realize he might be one of the best hitters and fielders to ever play his current position, don't you? Why would you give up that advantage? And how will playing second base shorten his career anyway? The most demanding positions on the field are catcher, shortstop and centerfield.
I know all about his status at second base now and in history. joe Morgan maybe one of the only historic comparisons that come close to Robinson.Actually I think Cano's throwing release to first base is one of the best I've ever seen. Just a though about keeping him fresh. Arod is doing a Greg Louganis at the plate because of his age and body deterioration. Maybe the drugs he was using bit him in the ass over the long haul.

Yeah
I know all about his status at second base now and in history. joe Morgan maybe one of the only historic comparisons that come close to Robinson.Actually I think Cano's throwing release to first base is one of the best I've ever seen. Just a though about keeping him fresh. Arod is doing a Greg Louganis at the plate because of his age and body deterioration. Maybe the drugs he was using bit him in the ass over the long haul.

Rogers Hornsby is a better comp for Cano as a hitter in term of power, and remains the gold standard at second base. Morgan, a tremendous fielder like Cano, had decent power in his peak years and always drew a tremendous number of walks - he was just a different kind of hitter. Robbie Alomar, like Cano, was the complete package, but he never had Cano's power. Time will tell, but I believe Cano is headed to Cooperstown.

Actually I think second base is worse than SS. 2B seem to tend to age worse than SS, I think because it's harder to protect yourself on the double play when they are coming into you blind.

I remember when the Mets got Alomar and he tanked back in 02, I then looked it up; a lot of good second basemen had their last good year around 32 or 33. (Though I guess you could say that about a lot of players, huh?)

As far as historical goes, Cano has a ways to go but he certainly is looking like a HOF player. Joe Morgan to me is the best second basemen of all time. Joe Morgan in 1975-76 was probably about as good a baseball player as you can be (Jesus, I just looked up Cano's stats this year; I didn't realize he was having THIS good a year). I'm thinking in a few years he might get moved off the position, but the time doesn't seem to be now.

Though I assume it goes without saying Hornsby is the best hitter to every play second. Insert caveat here about how offensive levels were crazy high when he played, but the man hit 402 over a 5 year stretch, with loads of power. He lead the league in average/obp/slugging every year for six years. That's just absurd.

Actually I think second base is worse than SS. 2B seem to tend to age worse than SS, I think because it's harder to protect yourself on the double play when they are coming into you blind.

I remember when the Mets got Alomar and he tanked back in 02, I then looked it up; a lot of good second basemen had their last good year around 32 or 33. (Though I guess you could say that about a lot of players, huh?)

As far as historical goes, Cano has a ways to go but he certainly is looking like a HOF player. Joe Morgan to me is the best second basemen of all time. Joe Morgan in 1975-76 was probably about as good a baseball player as you can be (Jesus, I just looked up Cano's stats this year; I didn't realize he was having THIS good a year). I'm thinking in a few years he might get moved off the position, but the time doesn't seem to be now.

A lot of top shortstops (Banks, ARod, Nomar, Yount) seem to get moved off that position earlier in their careers. Second basemen seem to have more longevity. But you're right about Alomar hitting a wall. Same thing happened to Carlos Baerga. Maybe it's a Met thing. ;)

Morgan was pretty damn incredible. All those walks and stolen bases, and what a glove! But I'll still put Hornsby at #1.

Cano was incredibly streaky this year and ended up with something like 9 consecutive multi-hit games and raised his average about 20 points in that stretch. As a Yankee fan who watches about 90% of their games, I'd say he's had better years. But he was still great, and he's incredibly durable. If he can sustain this level of play for another five years, he's a lock for the HoF. And if the Yankees ever want to move him off second, third base would be the place because he has a stronger arm than most shortstops and third basemen.

Yeah
Who is Robinson? Oh, it's Robbie! (listening to too many Yankee games) Arod still batting third. Wow. He's a rally killer. Finally got a extra base hit after 60 plus appearances. Warning track power if he even can get it out of infield. Girardi had Cano batting fith, Arod third, and (i haven't seen major league pitching in a month) Tex fourth. Nearly cost them a game (thank u Ibanez).

A lot of top shortstops (Banks, ARod, Nomar, Yount) seem to get moved off that position earlier in their careers. Second basemen seem to have more longevity. But you're right about Alomar hitting a wall. Same thing happened to Carlos Baerga. Maybe it's a Met thing. ;)

Sigh.

But he was still great, and he's incredibly durable.

I love the durable guys. Cabrera is another one. Cano has missed 10 games the last 6 years Unbelievable. So much value in just showing up

Who is Robinson? Oh, it's Robbie! (listening to too many Yankee games) Arod still batting third. Wow. He's a rally killer. Finally got a extra base hit after 60 plus appearances. Warning track power if he even can get it out of infield. Girardi had Cano batting fith, Arod third, and (i haven't seen major league pitching in a month) Tex fourth. Nearly cost them a game (thank u Ibanez).
Worked ok yesterday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom