Any news... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Any news...

Everybody needs to relax... with the relaxer of choice. This is the first real contact that they have had so far in camp. Hell, they haven't even practiced in full equipment more than a handful of times! Why would anyone in their right mind think they were ready!?! The next week should provide some real hitting, and if they are not ready in one week then it's time to worry.

I don't think Hackett was the issue today. We have zero playmakers. We don't have a WR who can take one of those short passes and offer any YAC. We don't have a RB who can bust a long run. Which is why our best plays always come from the TE. On top of that we don't have a very good OL. I liked what I saw from Hackett today. We need to execute better. But even if we do it will be a struggle due to a lack of playmakers. I see long drives or short drives from this O. Not much in between, sorta like last year.

What did you like that you saw from Hackett?

What did you like that you saw from Hackett?

IMO we have limitations due to the OL, RB, and WR. The one ex factor IMO is Broyld. We need to find a way to get him involved. I like Sales, Lemon, and West but IMO they are all #2 WRs. I rather have a #1,. #2, and #3, or a #1 and two #3s than three #2s. I think the same can be said of our RBs. IMO if we are not a Top 80 O this year (which sadly is a significant gain) then we can all scream about the coaches. But being much higher than that won't happen this year with these players. If you want to blame Marrone for having three full classes and zero play makers, then that is fair.

Did Morris play? Did he get any carries?

IMO he has ability but he is not ready. I would love too see him RS.

If we don't have playmakers to execute his current scheme, then scheme needs be to be adjusted to fit capabilities. We don't have time to hammer square peg into round hole.

I didn't think scheme was a problem today.

After the Spring game I was depressed. I am much more optimistic after watching the ED game. It would not surprise me if we go 5-2 in the BE this year. But it would also not surprise me if we go 2-5. My post in this thread were just pointing out why IMO Marrone made those comments. We still have two weeks before our first game and that is plenty for us to get healthy and to get more consistant at executing the O. We are not ready now. If that is still the case in two weeks we can worry. Until then I still think a Bowl is possible.

Obviously there's time for things to improve and come together. I think we need to remember that most people around the country that are not Orange fans are looking at this team as a 3-4 win team. Of course we know our players better and expect more out of them because we want to. One thing that keeps running through my head is it seems every time I hear about someone lookign good its soemone who is not expected to play much this year.

And sometimes negative comments in the paper by the coach just make the players think they suck and does not give them drive to improve.

Has anyone ever heard a CFB coach come out with two weeks left in camp and say, "hey, we're ready to go!"? I'm sure we're not ready to play Northwestern right now. Hopefully the next two weeks of camp gets us there.

Interesting. That's exactly what I said in the posts comparing this years o and last years. No playmakers. I was assured I was wrong. I hope they prove us wrong, king.

I don't think Hackett was the issue today. We have zero playmakers. We don't have a WR who can take one of those short passes and offer any YAC. We don't have a RB who can bust a long run. Which is why our best plays always come from the TE. On top of that we don't have a very good OL. I liked what I saw from Hackett today. We need to execute better. But even if we do it will be a struggle due to a lack of playmakers. I see long drives or short drives from this O. Not much in between, sorta like last year.

Perhaps Northwestern isn't ready to play SU right now either.

Interesting. That's exactly what I said in the posts comparing this years o and last years. No playmakers. I was assured I was wrong. I hope they prove us wrong, king.

My comment in that thread was that our skill position players overall will be an upgrade from last year. If they're not then I give up because we're not going in the right direction.

We still don't have a WR who will make us forget about Marvin Harrison, or Kevin Johnson. Nor do we have a RB who will make us forget about Walter Reyes. Can't imagine we'd ever get those types until we consistently win more than we lose, and we're comfortably located in the ACC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My comment in that thread was that our skill position players overall will be an upgrade from last year. If they're not then I give up because we're not going in the right direction.

We still don't have a WR who will make us forget about Marvin Harrison, or Kevin Johnson. Nor do we have a RB who will make us forget about Walter Reyes. Can't imagine we'd ever get those types until we consistently win more than we lose, and we're comfortably located
in the ACC.

Not ever going to be good on offense until we consistently make bigger plays, can't rely on dip and dunk, 15 play drives because mistakes will be made and ruin drives. Just won't work

I wonder if Matt Barkley can score against his second team defense in a scrimmage.
Why are we not hearing about anything that needs to work actually working, even a little bit? For example, Nassib completing some passes to Sales. NW is a must win - just look at the schedule.

We still don't have a WR who will make us forget about Marvin Harrison, or Kevin Johnson. Nor do we have a RB who will make us forget about Walter Reyes. Can't imagine we'd ever get those types until we consistently win more than we lose, and we're comfortably located in the ACC.

I agree with most of that. Clearly, there is no transcendent talent on offense--nobody remotely comparable to a Harrison [or even a KJ]. But I think we're starting to see progress at both WR and RB.

Step one is getting a group of players who are all capable of being contributors--a welcome change from the past 6-7 years at WR. We really need Sales / Lemon to step up and lead the WR unit, and I'll admit that I'm excited to see what the young guns like Kobena / Hale / West / Cornelius [to say nothing of Funderburk next year] can do.

RB--again, noone who is going to make us forget Walter Reyes [who I still maintain would have gone down as one of the all-time greats in program history if he hadn't separated his shoulder during his senior year and missed time]. But Smith / Ameen-Moore are both intriguing. If the OL could ever open any freaking holes, I'm sure that these two would prove up to the task. But more importantly, I'm really liking the talent we're infusing into the pipeline here--which is why I'm hoping that they can find a way to redshirt Morris rather than burn a year of his eligibility to be the #3 [or #4] RB. And coming in next year is Gus Edwards--future looks bright. If we can add a burner like Laray Smith, then that will give us a dimension lacking on this year's squad from a playmaking perspective.

At QB, I like some of the prospects, but I'm going to remain skeptical until we have one of these guys actually emerge as a top flight playmaker. Still waiting on that to happen, 13 years after McNabb.

And I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record on this issue, but a lot hinges on the play of the OL. If we could get even average production from that unit, then I'm willing to bet that the other units would look a whole lot improved, even with the same type of personnel. We're not going anywhere offensively until the OL steps it up.

Holy crap people. It a scrimmage.
and a bad one apparently----it appears that the o line will be non existant again,thus so will our offense.it all starts there as we know. i guess that i have once again been to optimistic.---better to stop hoping and just see what happens---geeesh

I'm not saying we have to have top 10 Syracuse hall of fame playmakers. We have an impressive hall of fame. In that thread I said our talent was still bottom half of the BE, which doesn't necessarily exclude the possibility that we have improved slightly. I'm hoping WR (new talent) and QB (experience) are an upgrade from last year.

Why are we not hearing about anything that needs to work actually working, even a little bit? For example, Nassib completing some passes to Sales. NW is a must win - just look at the schedule.

That's why I was starting to think it was a campaign of deception until Kingotto confirmed worst fears...unless Kingotto=Doug marrone

And this is what is beating me down in this hohum era...

Funderburke NEXT year.

No RB that will make us forget kyle mcintosh or Dee Brown (my kingdom for a Dee Brown).

Talent in the pipeline and prospects... Next year, next year, next year.

This is worse than being a Rutgers fan. They had never won anything so a little hope that they'd be better may have been enough. But having been there and knowing how far away we are... Hope quickly turns to despair.

[to say nothing of Funderburk next year]

RB--again, noone who is going to make us forget Walter Reyes

But Smith / Ameen-Moore are both intriguing.

But more importantly, I'm really liking the talent we're infusing into the pipeline here--which is why I'm hoping that they can find a way to redshirt Morris rather than burn a year of his eligibility to be the #3 [or #4] RB. And coming in next year is Gus Edwards--future looks bright. If we can add a burner like Laray Smith, then that will give us a dimension lacking on this year's squad from a playmaking perspective.

At QB, I like some of the prospects, but I'm going to remain skeptical until we have one of these guys actually emerge as a top flight playmaker. Still waiting on that to happen, 13 years after McNabb.

And this is what is beating me down in this hohum era...

Funderburke NEXT year.

No RB that will make us forget kyle mcintosh or Dee Brown (my kingdom for a Dee Brown).

Talent in the pipeline and prospects... Next year, next year, next year.

This is worse than being a Rutgers fan. They had never won anything so a little hope that they'd be better may have been enough. But having been there and knowing how far away we are... Hope quickly turns to despair.

That's not what I was saying though.

Look, we were an awful team four years ago. The talent level is steadily improving. We aren't where we need to be on offense in terms of depth / playmakers--we're in much better shape on both accounts on the defensive side of the ball. That isn't expressing "wait until next year" sentiment--it's reality.

Everybody needs to relax... with the relaxer of choice. This is the first real contact that they have had so far in camp. Hell, they haven't even practiced in full equipment more than a handful of times! Why would anyone in their right mind think they were ready!?! The next week should provide some real hitting, and if they are not ready in one week then it's time to worry.
This and also remember the camp at Ft Drum was taxing mentally and physically. Sure they are kids and recover quickly but doing Army training, getting up early, paint ball, cross-fit type Army exercises, leadership exercises, along with FB classes and practice is tough stuff...harder than what it would be like on campus. I predict the team accelerates on the learning curve this week. Remember the coaches had to juggle a lot of extra stuff too. They'll have 2 weeks to prep for NW...they will be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom