Anyone else watching UConn... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone else watching UConn...

Whatever, if your outside of the Power 5, your mid major to me
Ok let Jay Wright and Nova know his 2016 and 2018 Nattys were done from a mid major conference. The Big East is still a very good and competitive conference. I would not consider them a mid major and are on par or better than some of the Power 5 conferences.

FF7BA93B-181D-403C-8E74-DDCE6C605FAE.gif

FWIW I'd say the BE is stronger than the ACC this season.
KenPom has the BE significantly better.

Right now, the ACC is equal to the SEC, slightly better than the P12 and closer to the AAC than it is to the B10/B12/BE.

it’s just a really down year for the ACC. We only have 7 top 60 teams out of 15 teams. B10 has 12 top 40 teams, B12 has 6 top 60 teams (out of 10) and the BE has 7 top 60 teams out of 10 and no team ranked worse than 79

There are literally no bad teams in the Big East. The bottom of the league (Gtown, St Johns and DePaul) are bubble teams.
And their games are fun to watch, too. Butler just knocked off Marquette in OT in a battle of a couple teams we know.

I got lots of flack when conference realignment was the main topic years ago for saying that the Big East, basketball only teams, would be fine. The basketball onlys were getting dragged down in the old Big East as much as the football programs were in the old Big East. They had to spend conference time, money, effort discussing and keeping the football programs happy when their only common financial concern was basketball. Basketball is and will always be king at those schools, they all now have that common goal and don’t have to divert time, concern, money over a sport, football, they had no reason to even care about other than appeasing the football schools. I doubt they miss having to worry about things like concussion protocols and lawsuits, facility wars, marketing etc. They are all located in major media cities , have strong basketball program legacies and are realistic in acknowledging their fiscal and athletic limitations. The only programs that ‘lost out’ or at least didn’t gain with the realignment were UConn, Cincinnati , South Florida.

It sucks the NBE threw these clowns a lifeline they should be left to rot in the aack.
Hurley is gonna run out of excuses. They have more 4-stars than I think every other team in the conference and they’re in last place. The AAC is clearly better than the A10 and it seems he’s getting exposed - hard to imagine he’ll have an easier time in the Big East. Maybe 2 years with “his guys” and Andre Jackson they’ll take a huge leap, but if they don’t...yikes

It sucks the NBE threw these clowns a lifeline they should be left to rot in the aack.

Maybe they’ll thrive, maybe they won’t. But they’re staring down the barrel of four straight losing seasons. And Hurley is a good coach. He might eek a 2nd weekend here and there, but he’s a clown and his antics will lose teams.

Last edited:
Hurley is gonna run out of excuses. They have more 4-stars than I think every other team in the conference and they’re in last place. The AAC is clearly better than the A10 and it seems he’s getting exposed - hard to imagine he’ll have an easier time in the Big East. Maybe 2 years with “his guys” and Andre Jackson they’ll take a huge leap, but if they don’t...yikes

The Big East is going to crush UConn. Given how tough a league it is now, the rest of the league will be excited to have a new Rutgers to pick on.

The Big East is going to crush UConn. Given how tough a league it is now, the rest of the league will be excited to have a new Rutgers to pick on.

No love lost here for uconn and I do relish in their misery. But they have some young talent. Akok, Bouknight and possibly Gaffney are legit. Add Jackson and you have some high level athleticism there. I expect them to be legit by next year. How legit I don't know, but they should be a formidable defensive team and make the tourney.

No love lost here for uconn and I do relish in their misery. But they have some young talent. Akok, Bouknight and possibly Gaffney are legit. Add Jackson and you have some high level athleticism there. I expect them to be legit by next year. How legit I don't know, but they should be a formidable defensive team and make the tourney.

I shared your opinion earlier in the season. Watching them more than I care to admit( it's college hoops on TV thus- why not watch a hated former rival?), Shooting is going to be their Achilles heel alongside coaching. Hurley is inconsistent as a coach. He doesn't replicate the things that have won him games and his emotional bursts work against him in tight games. Bouknight, Akok and Gaffney are no doubt nice players. Bouknight especially. As a guard dominate team and a coach who has really only coached similarly structured teams, he is lost with managing quality bigs. They should be a tourney team this year ( maybe not after losing Polley but still).

I think next year is going to be rough with the step up in league competition. If Hurley survives that, then they might be able to turn it around.

Lots of good coaches in the Big East.

Ive seen nothing to indicate that he’ll be one of them. As far as I’ve seen his teams are just like him: spazzy and bricky and out of control.

Seems like a meathead, who thinks he can scream his team into trying so hard that they’ll win. Sorry Danny, there’s a lot of skill and strategy to this.

Yeah. Conference changes can be funny look at how Miami and Nebby have gone into the dumpster despite securing far easier schedules. Look at BCs first 5-6 years in the ACC. No matter what its a lifeline for their hoops I wish they weren't getting. I think the AACK is perfect for them.

I shared your opinion earlier in the season. Watching them more than I care to admit( it's college hoops on TV thus- why not watch a hated former rival?), Shooting is going to be their Achilles heel alongside coaching. Hurley is inconsistent as a coach. He doesn't replicate the things that have won him games and his emotional bursts work against him in tight games. Bouknight, Akok and Gaffney are no doubt nice players. Bouknight especially. As a guard dominate team and a coach who has really only coached similarly structured teams, he is lost with managing quality bigs. They should be a tourney team this year ( maybe not after losing Polley but still).

I think next year is going to be rough with the step up in league competition. If Hurley survives that, then they might be able to turn it around.
Agree with most of this.
Hurley has shown he’s a decent recruiter but everything I’ve seen says he’s lacking behind the bench, & the spaz and gas faces will get old real quick.
The NBE will look to crush them next year...it’s not their daddies BE anymore. The Hall is a power, Gtown is rising back, Nova is Nova, hell even DePaul is decent nowadays. They’ll see what Hurley is made of fairly quickly next year.