Anyone just see Andrew Jones' homerun? | Syracusefan.com

Anyone just see Andrew Jones' homerun?

(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

What is wrong with more exposure Otto?

Waste of money. Would have rather them spent the cash on billboard throughout NYS in regions where we actually draw butts in the seats from.

Waste of money. Would have rather them spent the cash on billboard throughout NYS in regions where we actually draw butts in the seats from.
I have two friends who live there and who were at today's game - they also will have their butts in Dome seats this year.

It's a good thing for more reasons than butts in seats though

Advertising in NYC is about way more than getting "butts in seats"...

Fair point, but that's for brands with multi-million dollar, if not billion dollar, budgets. SU should put it's money into facilities not a branding campaign that's doomed to fail.

I have two friends who live there and who were at today's game - they also will have their butts in Dome seats this year.

It's a good thing for more reasons than butts in seats though

Says you. I went to a game last week with a group of about 10 people, who are all big sports fan born and raised in the Tri-State area, and when this topic came up, nearly all of them thought the idea of SU "owning" the NYS/NYC market was ridiculous.

Says you. I went to a game last week with a group of about 10 people, who are all big sports fan born and raised in the Tri-State area, and when this topic came up, nearly all of them thought the idea of SU "owning" the NYS/NYC market was ridiculous.
SU isn't trying to "own" the market; no one can do that. SU is just trying to garner interest for the athletics programs seeing is a large amount of our alumni base is in the try-state area. I would even venture to say that many of them are Yankees fans as well. Also, how many young kids go to Yankees games? Now how many kids are in NYC? Quite a lot of them I believe. Now how many other schools are advertising like this? When you keep seeing stuff for SU everywhere you tend to check it out. My guess is this move was for the future, and trying to build interest with the younger crowd and the results will be realized a few years from now. Tell your boyfriend to stop pissing in your Wheaties because your "waste of money" crap makes you sound like a whiner that is not happy with his life.

I have no issue with NYC sign as someone noted when the Rutgers board has a 200+ post thread on it you have done your job. However, I think Otto is right in that we should also be advertising more in the surrounding areas. How about a billboard or signs in the Utica, Binghamton and Rochester areas? How about a special SU event at one of the bigger wineries in the Southern Tier, Seneca Lake and the rest of wine country has thousands of people we could try to draw to the dome.

SU isn't trying to "own" the market; no one can do that. SU is just trying to garner interest for the athletics programs seeing is a large amount of our alumni base is in the try-state area. I would even venture to say that many of them are Yankees fans as well. Also, how many young kids go to Yankees games? Now how many kids are in NYC? Quite a lot of them I believe. Now how many other schools are advertising like this? When you keep seeing stuff for SU everywhere you tend to check it out. My guess is this move was for the future, and trying to build interest with the younger crowd and the results will be realized a few years from now. Tell your boyfriend to stop pissing in your Wheaties because your "waste of money" crap makes you sound like a whiner that is not happy with his life.

I'm not happy with my life? Says you, Mr. Hurling Anonymous Insults Via Internet Message Board.

The idea that you "check something out" when you see it often enough is a) faulty, since marketing has shifted...pushing out your message to consumers in a one-way vehicle is not working and b) still works for brands like Bud, Visa, Pepsi that spend so much money on ads you can't avoid them as consumers. The SU ad at the stadium is next to a Poland Spring banner. How many of you have checked PS' site out? When the Dance Team was sponsored by Toshiba a few years ago, how many of you took an interest in them? Do you all have Carrier air conditioners in your home or office?

Honestly, here is where some money should be spent by SU: sending this "holy grail" of 45k+ alums a save the date for the USC game. Because I bet more than half have no idea this game is happening and the idea that you're going to email them every week starting in Aug begging them to buy tickets isn't going to work.

Look, we can agree to disagree about this. But I'll (try) and end it on this note: I'd like someone to take an educated guess at what the measurement for success is with the taxi ads and this Yankee Stadium signage. What's the ROI going to have to look like for someone like Gross to say this was worth it or not. As of now, seems like if our goal was to get the Rutgers message board to light up, mission accomplished.

Nice way to end your rant with a homophobic slam.

How is that sign directed at a younger audience? Do you see the ads around it? Do you really think they are hitting the 8-14 year old "I ate too many hot dogs" demographic?

I live in NYC. I would wager that I am smack dab in the demo for who the university wants to reach (30s/alumni for undergrad and grad/upstate NYer/fan my whole life/earn enough to purchase tickets/make donations).

SU calls the advertisement in Yankee Stadium a partnership. You know what it really is? Some guy got to take a half day off of work after selling that ad space for the Yankees. It's next to a freaking Poland Spring ad for crying out loud. If there was some added value, then it may make sense. Right now, it is a static ad in a stadium and a city that is full of constant advertisements.

This NY's college team is also misnamed. Where is the outreach to the I-90 corridor? I-81 corridor? Southern Tier? Capital Region? Areas a BCS football team holds some weight. AND, what about the locals in the CNY area?

Tell me the measurement by which this is a success, please. You don't just get to slap some signage up in NYC and claim you are doing a good job. This city is littered with organizations that tried to do that.

Here is what I really think and what I think the argument should be if you are a proponent of this endeavor: 1) Even if it will have no real impact for SU in terms of getting new fans or getting fans to be more interested, it aesthetically helps us look more appealing to the ACC and 2) Gross has intel that if we at least make an effort to get into NYC, there is some major donor that is lined up to give a huge chunk of change.

All this other stuff you talk about is absolute crap. You have no idea what the success mark is. You have no idea what the spend is. You have no idea what the demo for eyeballs on that signage is.

This is why the ad is great. It is all about creating the perception we are big in the NYC market. While we know SU basketball in popular in NYC no football team will own that market long term unless we were a constant power.

Nice way to end your rant with a homophobic slam.

How is that sign directed at a younger audience? Do you see the ads around it? Do you really think they are hitting the 8-14 year old "I ate too many hot dogs" demographic?

I live in NYC. I would wager that I am smack dab in the demo for who the university wants to reach (30s/alumni for undergrad and grad/upstate NYer/fan my whole life/earn enough to purchase tickets/make donations).

SU calls the advertisement in Yankee Stadium a partnership. You know what it really is? Some guy got to take a half day off of work after selling that ad space for the Yankees. It's next to a freaking Poland Spring ad for crying out loud. If there was some added value, then it may make sense. Right now, it is a static ad in a stadium and a city that is full of constant advertisements.

This NY's college team is also misnamed. Where is the outreach to the I-90 corridor? I-81 corridor? Southern Tier? Capital Region? Areas a BCS football team holds some weight. AND, what about the locals in the CNY area?

Tell me the measurement by which this is a success, please. You don't just get to slap some signage up in NYC and claim you are doing a good job. This city is littered with organizations that tried to do that.

Here is what I really think and what I think the argument should be if you are a proponent of this endeavor: 1) Even if it will have no real impact for SU in terms of getting new fans or getting fans to be more interested, it aesthetically helps us look more appealing to the ACC and 2) Gross has intel that if we at least make an effort to get into NYC, there is some major donor that is lined up to give a huge chunk of change.

All this other stuff you talk about is absolute crap. You have no idea what the success mark is. You have no idea what the spend is. You have no idea what the demo for eyeballs on that signage is.
And you do? please share. seems to me that neither side of this argument knows what these data points are, nor what prompted them or what the end goal is - but they both have some pretty strong feelings in spite of this lack of info

And you do? please share. seems to me that neither side of this argument knows what these data points are, nor what prompted them or what the end goal is - but they both have some pretty strong feelings in spite of this lack of info

First, I can tell you the demo targeted in Yankees stadium isn't young kids by the signage that surrounds it. Do you see signs that would hit that demo? Audi? Poland Spring? Canon? FTI Consulting? Budweiser? Bank of America? Does this scream youngster demographic to you?

Also, for the signs that went on top of cabs, again, not a kid demo. Do you know what else advertises on top of cabs? Strip clubs.

So there is that. You are right that I don't know the exact KPIs/dollars spent, but I sure as hell know what I can see with my own two eyes.

Like I said, if the end goal was to make us superficially more appealing to the ACC, great. If it is to jump through hoops for high major donors, great.

But don't tell me that it is "working" when we don't know what "working" is. I can assert that Bigfoot is real. But that doesn't mean that the onus is on someone who dissents to prove that Bigfoot doesn't exist just as much as it is on me that he does.

SU calls the advertisement in Yankee Stadium a partnership.

Agree with everything you and OFL have said. Me thinks that if DG was really looking for a "partnership" that would really hit the NYC DMA, he'd be wise to develop a relationship with the SNYs/YES'/other regional networks to actually showcase the program(s) to their audiences.

First UConn's spring game was on SNY.

Now this: http://www.scarletknights.com/football/news/release.asp?prID=11752#.T564wasV0rU

Where is New York's College team????

Agree with everything you and OFL have said. Me thinks that if DG was really looking for a "partnership" that would really hit the NYC DMA, he'd be wise to develop a relationship with the SNYs/YES'/other regional networks to actually showcase the program(s) to their audiences.

First UConn's spring game was on SNY.

Now this: http://www.scarletknights.com/football/news/release.asp?prID=11752#.T564wasV0rU

Where is New York's College team????
well that would certainly be nice

sending 2 kids from CT and 1 from NY - why does Coach Flood hate kids from NJ? ;)

well that would certainly be nice

sending 2 kids from CT and 1 from NY - why does Coach Flood hate kids from NJ? ;)

Greene is from Elizabeth, NJ. See how RU thinks...CT, NY, NJ as the three reps.

How many people who live in those areas watch Yankee games?

That's your measurement, "owning the market"? I thought you were a marketing professional.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom