Anyone just see Andrew Jones' homerun? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone just see Andrew Jones' homerun?

And as GoSU intimated, do you not agree that this advert in Yankee Stadium may only be the beginning of the SU/Yankee relationship (i.e: YES Network)?

Personally, I don't think they are related.

They could be. SU had approached YES along with SNY a few years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if those talks are happening again. As I said when the Yankee "partnership" was announced, it could be the first piece of the puzzle to be made public.

However, keep in mind that YES has content deals with both PSU and Notre Dame. YES as a distribution channel would be great, but not if we're going to have our shiz played at 3am.

I agree...but at this point SNY is a lame duck for us...Just my guess is we'll look at YES or MSG. I'm not a TV guy but I wonder if the TWC contract will complicate the sharing of TWC produced games on a NY RSN other than SNY?

I would expect the TWC agreement to cause issues with MSG considering all the fighting between TWC and MSG Networks recently. YES would be great but I believe they have an agreement with PSU. They also do some EPL coverage so I don't know how desperate they are for programming.

At the end of the day, since we technically have a partnership with SNY we should start to hold them accountable for the coverage promised. If we really are considered to be New York's team, you wouldn't think this would be hard to leverage.

Yes, that's it! I must have not been paying attention Sunday mornings during the Fall when every RU and UConn football game was being replayed on SNY. Or on Mondays when Schiano and P were having their weekly press conferences...live on SNY. Or when they aired RU and UConn's signing day press conferences.

I need to pay better attention.

The SU deal with SNY is awful, we dont have half the crap on there UConn and RU do but some on this board refuse to criticize the Admin in anyway. You were paying attention, we are barely on there.

Fair point, but that's for brands with multi-million dollar, if not billion dollar, budgets. SU should put it's money into facilities not a branding campaign that's doomed to fail.

who in the he!! has a billion dollar budget to advertise with

Yes, that's it! I must have not been paying attention Sunday mornings during the Fall when every RU and UConn football game was being replayed on SNY. Or on Mondays when Schiano and P were having their weekly press conferences...live on SNY. Or when they aired RU and UConn's signing day press conferences.

I need to pay better attention.

SU doesn't provide any of that content. SNY does pick up TWS produced broadcasts live, which would otherwise only be on upstate and ESPN3. They show the coaches shows. They played Boeheims press conferences during the NCAA tourney.

The relationship is different. SNY is the content producer and distributor, at least for UConn. They are only a distributor for SU. The producer is Time Warner Sports in Syracuse. And I'll say it again, once SU joins the ACC, it is going to be looking for a new home.

The SU deal with SNY is awful, we dont have half the crap on there UConn and RU do but some on this board refuse to criticize the Admin in anyway. You were paying attention, we are barely on there.

They broadcast what is provided.

It's also about attracting students in general and raising the profile of the entire university. I know Loyola in Baltimore has billboards at Camden Yards and advertisements at the Nats games. It's not crazy for SU to be advertising at yanks games given how many potential students come from those areas every year. I'm not even sure what the general debate is.

My God, there's a flippin' UNIVERSITY OF SCRANTON billboard on I-95 in Bridgeport, CT. And one for URI right down the road.

If someone actually wrote that this signage at Yankee Stadium literally precluded SU from funding a facilities project, or kept them from funding a "local" advertising campaign, then I could at least understand why some folks are bitching. But NO ONE has offered up that evidence, in any way, shape or form.

Unreal.

I realize this and that is my argument. Why wouldn't they provide more? This is why I question priorities.

Above you talk about holding SNY accountable. Not once have you said anything here about SU needs to crank out more content until this post.

Earlier you said you didn't even know there was a deal.

They have a deal now with SNY but you don't see a billboard in Citi do you? I think Gross is good a planning for the future (hello ACC), which is what this is. It may not pay immediate dividends but down the road a partnership with the Yankees (still have my cap from SU day last year) will be a very good thing.

Fair point, but that's for brands with multi-million dollar, if not billion dollar, budgets. SU should put it's money into facilities not a branding campaign that's doomed to fail.

SU is in the ACC. It was a grand success.

The ironies in this thread are killing me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yup---Ruttie fans/Some Cuse fans trying to convince themselves Cuse is wasting their money on ads at Yankee Stadium/on taxi cabs is priceless. Marketing campaign--->Huge win for SU!

Worse case scenario: FSU/Clemson/Miami/GTech bolt for the B12...ACC adds 2-6 teams from among UConn/Ruttie/Louisville/Cincy/WVU/Directional FLs It is still a more respected league than the Big East. The ACC might have to relax their academic requirements a tad for a few schools listed above.

My feeling is ESPN has a lot invested in the ACC Brand Name and will eventually pay them close to the others and FSU/Clemson remain (the only 2 I think are vulnerable). It is nuts people thinking VT would leave the ACC even for the SEC. VT is right where they want to be and the VA pols would never let them elevate past UVA.

Yup---Ruttie fans/Some Cuse fans trying to convince themselves Cuse is wasting their money on ads at Yankee Stadium/on taxi cabs is priceless. Marketing campaign--->Huge win for SU!

I don't need to convince myself it is a waste of money, I need SU to prove that it is a worthwhile investment. If it was/is to position us as a viable option for the ACC, great. Say it. Tell me. At least I won't be pissed when basketball games start getting moved to MSG and I'll stop being upset about the games in Met Life. If we are selling our soul to be SU @ NYC for the ACC, let me know. Otherwise, to me, this sounds like a bunch of folks hanging on to the one good bit of positive news that has come out lately. I'm saying this as a Manhattan resident. Believe me, the more games in NYC, the easier for me to attend them. I'll also reiterate that this program has been going on for SEVEN years.

It's great we are going to the ACC. But unless they have fluffers lined up to ready the team to perform better, we are still mired in a woeful era for our program without any near term solutions for getting back to being a top 25 team. Maybe this will all work out to us being a top 25 in 5-7 years. But that sure is a long time to ask fans to wait.

We can agree to disagree on this. I love that people have passion for this endeavor. I think it is a case of misdirected targeting. I think that upstate NY should have signs/billboards/visits by players. I think every single person in upstate NY should know the following every single week: when is SU football playing, who are they playing and how I can get tickets. I would wager that the simple information right there is unknown to lots of folks in upstate NY each week. Heck, they should know that NOW. And I get that they can go find it, but guess what, they won't. It's not an attractive enough draw.

Again, this is pre-season me, incredibly cautious... a week before the season starts, you bet your a$$ I'll be the first one predicting 13-0 en route to a national title.

Man, one homophobic slam, another charge using bathroom (what I am assuming is an attempt at) humor.

Guess I know what flies around here. Good thing no one said anything bad about GMac or there actually would have been a thunderous up-in-arms moment for this board.

Mike I'm curious if you had issues with bathroom humor earlier in the thread is it now okay for us to use the word "fluffer" like you did below? Just checking :noidea:

I don't need to convince myself it is a waste of money, I need SU to prove that it is a worthwhile investment. If it was/is to position us as a viable option for the ACC, great. Say it. Tell me. At least I won't be pissed when basketball games start getting moved to MSG and I'll stop being upset about the games in Met Life. If we are selling our soul to be SU @ NYC for the ACC, let me know. Otherwise, to me, this sounds like a bunch of folks hanging on to the one good bit of positive news that has come out lately. I'm saying this as a Manhattan resident. Believe me, the more games in NYC, the easier for me to attend them. I'll also reiterate that this program has been going on for SEVEN years.

It's great we are going to the ACC. But unless they have fluffers lined up to ready the team to perform better, we are still mired in a woeful era for our program without any near term solutions for getting back to being a top 25 team. Maybe this will all work out to us being a top 25 in 5-7 years. But that sure is a long time to ask fans to wait.

We can agree to disagree on this. I love that people have passion for this endeavor. I think it is a case of misdirected targeting. I think that upstate NY should have signs/billboards/visits by players. I think every single person in upstate NY should know the following every single week: when is SU football playing, who are they playing and how I can get tickets. I would wager that the simple information right there is unknown to lots of folks in upstate NY each week. Heck, they should know that NOW. And I get that they can go find it, but guess what, they won't. It's not an attractive enough draw.

Again, this is pre-season me, incredibly cautious... a week before the season starts, you bet your a$$ I'll be the first one predicting 13-0 en route to a national title.

Mike I see your point and maybe SU is guilty for taking Upstate NY ticket buyers for granted but after the unsuccessful ACC move in '03 SU changed their marketing and approach...whether it is blind luck or not it has led SU to get selected to the ACC over two geographically nearer programs to NYC (Ruttie/UConn). SU needs wealthy parents from NYC area to continue feeding their kids to SU at full price or close to it more than a few hundred Upstate NY curmudgeons cancelling their season tix. The ACC revenue more than makes up for a few hundred less season tix. Winning will fix the ticket base for FB...the marketing plan IMHO something more than just sports. BTW, I'll be with you drinking the kool-aid in late August. :)

Worse case scenario: FSU/Clemson/Miami/GTech bolt for the B12...ACC adds 2-6 teams from among UConn/Ruttie/Louisville/Cincy/WVU/Directional FLs It is still a more respected league than the Big East. The ACC might have to relax their academic requirements a tad for a few schools listed above.

My feeling is ESPN has a lot invested in the ACC Brand Name and will eventually pay them close to the others and FSU/Clemson remain (the only 2 I think are vulnerable). It is nuts people thinking VT would leave the ACC even for the SEC. VT is right where they want to be and the VA pols would never let them elevate past UVA.

Mark, that's right.

Two things, it's in ESPN's interest to reduce the spread between TV contracts to preserve the long term value of their rights package, and with a four team playoff, what's the easier path to get to the tourney, SEC or ACC?

Mike I'm curious if you had issues with bathroom humor earlier in the thread is it now okay for us to use the word "fluffer" like you did below? Just checking :noidea:

I'm still not ok with the homophobic slam that was used (not by you), but I'll relent on the bathroom humor. I'm all in. Apparently it is the only way to get a response sometimes. No one ever responds when I'm being serious unless I'm talking Knicks or LeBron. s

Re: the other points, it's a good argument. Either way, hope it works.

My only other wonder, is if TGD has a few huge donors almost hooked from NYC and this is a line to them... He seems to have gone for larger donations/less quantity and moved away from lots of small to medium size donations. That may just be me (I have no evidence to support this outside of my perception). Again, something I don't necessarily agree with (in total, I know you need huge donors), but if this is what he is doing, good luck.

One of the reasons I say that, is that I should be in the wheelhouse of people SU targets for donations (imo). Upstate NYer. Went to SU undergrad and grad, had season tickets, still go attend games/events, and live in NYC and make enough to donate, but I don't get anything that is targeted (or well-targeted) to me.

Not trying to hijack the thread or go off on a tangent, just throwing out another possibility.

this whole thread is gay ;) . seems dreamed up the idiots behind the occupy wall street movement.

putting an add in what is arguably NYS most popular tourist attraction 81+ times a year, and where another few million in the tri-state area may catch a glimpse of it on their 50" high def tvs seems like a pretty good idea to me.

go ahead and put nd v army in there, play a Pinstripe Bowl game without the Cuse...it doesnt matter, we are already there...for all the fans to see.

I'm still not ok with the homophobic slam that was used (not by you), but I'll relent on the bathroom humor. I'm all in. Apparently it is the only way to get a response sometimes. No one ever responds when I'm being serious unless I'm talking Knicks or LeBron.
If you took offense to the comment then I'm sorry Mike, but it was simply bathroom humor as Mark said. I am part of an LGBT inclusion committee in my infantry unit, so I am not even close to homophobic. I said boyfriend to a guy. I was not calling anyone an f***ing queer or anything like that. Yes, there is a very big difference in using bathroom humor and actual "homophobic slams". Have a good one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom