Anyone just see Andrew Jones' homerun? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone just see Andrew Jones' homerun?

The idea that you "check something out" when you see it often enough is a) faulty, since marketing has shifted...pushing out your message to consumers in a one-way vehicle is not working and b) still works for brands like Bud, Visa, Pepsi that spend so much money on ads you can't avoid them as consumers.

I'd like someone to take an educated guess at what the measurement for success is with the taxi ads and this Yankee Stadium signage. What's the ROI going to have to look like for someone like Gross to say this was worth it or not. As of now, seems like if our goal was to get the Rutgers message board to light up, mission accomplished.

Impressive use of group-think jargon.

What ad agency do you work at and how long have you been there?

;)

That's your measurement, "owning the market"? I thought you were a marketing professional.

Are you serious? Criticizing how I tried to sum up SU's approach to a bunch of drunks at a ball game. You must be a barrel of laughs at tailgates.

Bottom line: Attendance is not up to par, (seemingly) donations are not flooding Manley and we're doing just an ok job at recruiting the top players in NY (I recognize this is up for some debate, however not getting the big guys is where I'm going with this). So exactly what has the NY's College Team thing gotten us?

Agree with everything you and OFL have said. Me thinks that if DG was really looking for a "partnership" that would really hit the NYC DMA, he'd be wise to develop a relationship with the SNYs/YES'/other regional networks to actually showcase the program(s) to their audiences.

First UConn's spring game was on SNY.

Now this: http://www.scarletknights.com/football/news/release.asp?prID=11752#.T564wasV0rU

Where is New York's College team????

SU already has a relationship with SNY. Whatever content SU produces through TWS is shown there. SNY is also the flagship of the BEN. I suspect that SU will be looking for a new NYC outlet once the ACC shift happens. I wonder where they will land?

Are you serious? Criticizing how I tried to sum up SU's approach to a bunch of drunks at a ball game. You must be a barrel of laughs at tailgates.

Bottom line: Attendance is not up to par, (seemingly) donations are not flooding Manley and we're doing just an ok job at recruiting the top players in NY (I recognize this is up for some debate, however not getting the big guys is where I'm going with this). So exactly what has the NY's College Team thing gotten us?

You're the one who put it out there, how are we to know what context it was said. And it's your summation, own it.

Agree with everything you and OFL have said. Me thinks that if DG was really looking for a "partnership" that would really hit the NYC DMA, he'd be wise to develop a relationship with the SNYs/YES'/other regional networks to actually showcase the program(s) to their audiences.

First UConn's spring game was on SNY.

Now this: http://www.scarletknights.com/football/news/release.asp?prID=11752#.T564wasV0rU

Where is New York's College team????

New York's College team is on ESPN. After all, they showed our basketball uniform unveiling didn't they?

SU already has a relationship with SNY. Whatever content SU produces through TWS is shown there. SNY is also the flagship of the BEN. I suspect that SU will be looking for a new NYC outlet once the ACC shift happens. I wonder where they will land?

I live in NYC and didn't know this. What does that tell you?

I can't wait until the season starts so we can stop arguing about marketing.

There is no "homerun" for SU marketing other than winning National Championships and BCS Bowls. I've seen much worse use of advertising money than buying a billboard at YS. Has anybody realized this is a pride thing for the existing fans as well as reaching out to new fans?

Greene is from Elizabeth, NJ. See how RU thinks...CT, NY, NJ as the three reps.
I actually expected to see 1 kid from each of the three states - was surprised when Scout had two of the kids listed as CT.

Fair point, but that's for brands with multi-million dollar, if not billion dollar, budgets. SU should put it's money into facilities not a branding campaign that's doomed to fail.

Why is this an either/or discussion in your mind? It has -- repeat has -- to be both. If SU wants to play with the big boys they have to commit to it. Bailing on marketing in a huge region of potential students (and athletes, of course) to simply redirect money to facilities answers nothing.

I agree that the facilities drastically need to improve -- at least based on what most say -- but the AD has to find more ways to raise cash so the school can market and keep up with the joneses in the facility race.

There is no "homerun" for SU marketing other than winning National Championships and BCS Bowls. I've seen much worse use of advertising money than buying a billboard at YS. Has anybody realized this is a pride thing for the existing fans as well as reaching out to new fans?

It's also about attracting students in general and raising the profile of the entire university. I know Loyola in Baltimore has billboards at Camden Yards and advertisements at the Nats games. It's not crazy for SU to be advertising at yanks games given how many potential students come from those areas every year. I'm not even sure what the general debate is.

It's also about attracting students in general and raising the profile of the entire university. I know Loyola in Baltimore has billboards at Camden Yards and advertisements at the Nats games. It's not crazy for SU to be advertising at yanks games given how many potential students come from those areas every year. I'm not even sure what the general debate is.

The general debate is that a few guys are waving their d!cks around like they know everything about marketing. ;)

That you aren't paying attention...at all

Yes, that's it! I must have not been paying attention Sunday mornings during the Fall when every RU and UConn football game was being replayed on SNY. Or on Mondays when Schiano and P were having their weekly press conferences...live on SNY. Or when they aired RU and UConn's signing day press conferences.

I need to pay better attention.

Well said. I know this board is full of devil's advocates, but arguing about spending some cash marketing in one of the most famous venues on the planet and in one of the most important cities in the world? Not to mention an area where a TON of our alums live/work and where we farm for prospective students. This is no-brainer type stuff to me (and I don't believe you need to be in marketing to figure that out). But some want to throw up those billboards in Watertown and Utica. That should cover it. As others have more eloquently said, this isn't all about butts in seats.

Yes, that's it! I must have not been paying attention Sunday mornings during the Fall when every RU and UConn football game was being replayed on SNY. Or on Mondays when Schiano and P were having their weekly press conferences...live on SNY. Or when they aired RU and UConn's signing day press conferences.

I need to pay better attention.

Maybe you were out of town this day...

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/backpage/syracuse_strikes_deal_with_sny_grYrFbNOQcB5c63jsBdJaO

Now whether or not you believe the football coverage has been as good as RU or Uconn is another thing (I don't). But surely you were aware of the deal a couple of years back. If not, then yes, you should take your own advice and pay better attention.

The general debate is that a few guys are waving their d!cks around like they know everything about marketing. ;)

Man, one homophobic slam, another charge using bathroom (what I am assuming is an attempt at) humor.

Guess I know what flies around here. Good thing no one said anything bad about GMac or there actually would have been a thunderous up-in-arms moment for this board.

The debate is simple, the contention that Syracuse as New York's College Team with a focus on NYC is working or not.

My contention is it is not (some seem to agree to varying degrees). Others disagree.

Orange in the Apple started in 2005. Taxicabs signs started in 2007. This has been going on (depending on your definition of which time it started) for 7 or 5 years. I think there should be ample evidence to show that it has had success by now. I have not seen any or been pointed to any success. To me, the team is still mediocre, we aren't cramming the Dome with fans, I haven't seen any huge donations come from a NYC alum and, I (as I noted above, I believe I am in the target demo for SU) have not been targeted for donations, which makes me really worried because engaging ME should be the easy part.

Not only that, coupled with an absentee program for upstate NY relations, makes it feel that not only is this not working as a bridge to NYC, it isn't working for the branding as NY State's team.

Just my $0.02. Now I'll get back to swinging my man-parts around if you don't mind.

The debate is simple, the contention that Syracuse as New York's College Team with a focus on NYC is working or not.

My contention is it is not (some seem to agree to varying degrees). Others disagree.

John Swofford disagrees.

Maybe you were out of town this day...

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/backpage/syracuse_strikes_deal_with_sny_grYrFbNOQcB5c63jsBdJaO

Now whether or not you believe the football coverage has been as good as RU or Uconn is another thing (I don't). But surely you were aware of the deal a couple of years back. If not, then yes, you should take your own advice and pay better attention.

Thanks for the link. I was aware. I know something about the business. You shouldn't take everything so literally.

The fact of the matter is that SNY's coverage of SU has been minimal, especially when compared to UConn and RU. The original point of my post was the fact that I BELIEVE partnerships with RSNs should be considered more valuable than advertisements in Yankee Stadium. SU's "partnership" with SNY is weak.

Legit, have you read my posts? Did you see what I wrote regarding the ACC and this? Seriously.

Not really sure what your response means but I can't say that I've committed all of your ACC posts to memory.

Thanks for the link. I was aware. I know something about the business. You shouldn't take everything so literally.

The fact of the matter is that SNY's coverage of SU has been minimal, especially when compared to UConn and RU. The original point of my post was the fact that I BELIEVE partnerships with RSNs should be considered more valuable than advertisements in Yankee Stadium. SU's "partnership" with SNY is weak.

And as GoSU intimated, do you not agree that this advert in Yankee Stadium may only be the beginning of the SU/Yankee relationship (i.e: YES Network)?

I agree...but at this point SNY is a lame duck for us...Just my guess is we'll look at YES or MSG. I'm not a TV guy but I wonder if the TWC contract will complicate the sharing of TWC produced games on a NY RSN other than SNY?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom