Anyone watching Wash v Baylor? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone watching Wash v Baylor?

About which part, the better team? I clarified they are better, just not dominantly better. I liked the Washington team and will route for them because of Hop and the local kids, but they are far from some juggernaut, and the UVA team that just beat us, would give them all kinds of fits as well. Carter, Wright, and McDaniel would have had a much harder time against UVA's defense. They were all sloppy with their handle. I agree on Green. He had a Gottleib-type performance. Stewart was the obvious difference on offense though. And for Syracuse, i do not expect Marek, Guerrier, and Goodine to be the complete disasters on offense that they were again UVA.

I think that Washington will have a season that's an upgrade over last year. Will win some games they maybe are not supposed to, but will lose a few they shouldnt too - just less than last season.
I don’t know. That Washington team is young. They have two freshman who are the most talented players on the team. They could improve A LOT by the end of the year. They already look like a top 25 team. Their length and athleticism is exactly what we used to have and thrive on. It’s depressing. ... I don’t expect to land Isaiah Jackson, but if we do I’ll feel better.

Sidibe is not without offensive moves. I say pound it to him, at least for the next 10 games, to see what he can do. Even if he only converts a few a game, it'll open up cutting lanes.

Of course, SU hasn't pounded it to a big man since Seikaly.

Happy for Hop.

hurt though

Its no secret that I've been a big fan of Washington the past 2 years but it hurts a lot. The past 2 years didnt but watching 5 guys that should've and could've been Orange and watching the energy Hop has along with the love he has for his kids stings.

On the positive I'm not sure what we're seeing in Washington could've been done following a legend and hall of fame coach. At the worst I have 2 teams I absolutely love rooting for.

I really want to see them go head to head one day.

Its no secret that I've been a big fan of Washington the past 2 years but it hurts a lot. The past 2 years didnt but watching 5 guys that should've and could've been Orange and watching the energy Hop has along with the love he has for his kids stings.

On the positive I'm not sure what we're seeing in Washington could've been done following a legend and hall of fame coach. At the worst I have 2 teams I absolutely love rooting for.

There’s a much bigger magnifying glass in Syracuse for the head coaching position of the basketball program. Im not sure theres similar annual expectations anywhere else in the country except Duke, Unc, Uk, Kansas and MSU

I doubt they’ll e

I doubt they’ll ever go head to head because I don’t think Boeheim nor Hop will want to. I’m still surprised we weren’t matched up against them last year in the first round. The relationships and energy Hop brings are contagious. What stood out to me was Stewart in an interview saying he fell in love with the family atmosphere, aka the culture Hop built, created, and fosters. There’s no doubt that if Hop ever comes back, we’ll have top 10 recruiting classes again immediately.

Did you see Seth Greenberg’s interview with Hop afterwards? I mean, what an engaging and fun personality and a smart dude. How can anyone not root for that guy? What could have been...

I doubt they’ll ever go head to head because I don’t think Boeheim nor Hop will want to. I’m still surprised we weren’t matched up against them last year in the first round. The relationships and energy Hop brings are contagious. What stood out to me was Stewart in an interview saying he fell in love with the family atmosphere, aka the culture Hop built, created, and fosters. There’s no doubt that if Hop ever comes back, we’ll have top 10 recruiting classes again immediately.
Oh if hop comes back hes bringing in high end talent. Especially after having some success out west and players/parents knowing he is the read deal and not just the cuse assistant coach. We would have some unreal recruiting classes because we have everything else in place to be a top destination that kids want to play at. Unfortunately we have one thing going against us right now. I just cant picture him coming back with what hes building out there and the money/culture/city etc. He has a good thing going and will never again have to deal with being compared to or in JBs shadow. But when the time comes and JB hangs it up, I hope our ADs first call is to Hop with a offer that he cant refuse. Whatever it takes to try and bring him in.

Did you see Seth Greenberg’s interview with Hop afterwards? I mean, what an engaging and fun personality and a smart dude. How can anyone not root for that guy? What could have been...

I did. Its impossible not to root for him, it sucks seeing Stewart in Washington but at least he is there and not somewhere else. It's not difficult to see why he's been successful in such a short period of time. It is possible to turn a team around and that's where my frustrations come out towards syracuse. Sam Timmins would play 40 minutes for us, I'm not sure if one Cuse guy would start on their roster. They lost one of the best scorers in their league last year, a great forward and probably the best defender in college basketball last season and they look just as good. They're young with 5 new starters and best a team who got better than beat Syracuse in thr tournament while our coach is complaining about playing a good team.

We need to let go of the "Hop is coming back" narrative. The disparity between the state of the 2 programs when Boeheim is done will be too large to be attractive to him. Why do another rebuild? It's not like Hop will be coming from a mid-major.

We need to let go of the "Hop is coming back" narrative. The disparity between the state of the 2 programs when Boeheim is done will be too large to be attractive to him. Why do another rebuild? It's not like Hop will be coming from a mid-major.

Yikes. If I had to bet I wouldn’t say Hop comes back but it’s not like it’s a foregone conclusion. If he does come back it’ll be because this is where his wife and children are from but most importantly because of his love for the university and city. Whether he comes back or not, he’ll always bleed orange and I’m 100% sure of that.

It's another good rule change. Duke should lead the country in flopping technical if the refs do their jobs.
Plays like this are why the rule is good.

5zHbwV.gif

IIRC paulus did not get this call...Thank God

About which part, the better team? I clarified they are better, just not dominantly better. I liked the Washington team and will route for them because of Hop and the local kids, but they are far from some juggernaut, and the UVA team that just beat us, would give them all kinds of fits as well. Carter, Wright, and McDaniel would have had a much harder time against UVA's defense. They were all sloppy with their handle. I agree on Green. He had a Gottleib-type performance. Stewart was the obvious difference on offense though. And for Syracuse, i do not expect Marek, Guerrier, and Goodine to be the complete disasters on offense that they were again UVA.

I think that Washington will have a season that's an upgrade over last year. Will win some games they maybe are not supposed to, but will lose a few they shouldnt too - just less than last season.
UVA is not a juggernaut. They did not look good to me. They had like 10 points in 10 minutes to start the game and we were playing a 170 pound guy at center. This is painful to even write but we are way behind them. Eli Hughes would start at forward for them but they are better at every other position. UVA was good on defense but not great it is just we run no offense. It’s literally screen from Syracuse two guys jump the ball handler. Retreat, retreat re set. Oh crap we only have 8 seconds left give it to Eli to shoot a contested 3 from 4 feet behind the line. It’s not hard to defend that. The reality is Hop has multiply players in there 1st year who are very talented. In 2 months they are going to look like they could kill us.

Jackson? Fab? AO? Otis? Etan?
Not often, that I remember. Mostly, they got their touches by coming away from the basket or by getting offensive rebounds. Occasionally? Yes. But in all of their cases, I remember screaming for someone to get them the ball in the post. The most egregious case was Otis Hill. Maybe the best offensive moves of any center we've ever had. Couldn't get the ball.

UVA is not a juggernaut. They did not look good to me. They had like 10 points in 10 minutes to start the game and we were playing a 170 pound guy at center. This is painful to even write but we are way behind them. Eli Hughes would start at forward for them but they are better at every other position. UVA was good on defense but not great it is just we run no offense. It’s literally screen from Syracuse two guys jump the ball handler. Retreat, retreat re set. Oh crap we only have 8 seconds left give it to Eli to shoot a contested 3 from 4 feet behind the line. It’s not hard to defend that. The reality is Hop has multiply players in there 1st year who are very talented. In 2 months they are going to look like they could kill us.

Agree. One team looked well coached and one didn’t. If we worked for more open shots we could have won we hit most of open looks. But guys jacked terrible contested threes that were worse than turnovers with time left on the clock because they were clueless.

Oh if hop comes back hes bringing in high end talent. Especially after having some success out west and players/parents knowing he is the read deal and not just the cuse assistant coach. We would have some unreal recruiting classes because we have everything else in place to be a top destination that kids want to play at. Unfortunately we have one thing going against us right now. I just cant picture him coming back with what hes building out there and the money/culture/city etc. He has a good thing going and will never again have to deal with being compared to or in JBs shadow. But when the time comes and JB hangs it up, I hope our ADs first call is to Hop with a offer that he cant refuse. Whatever it takes to try and bring him in.
Hop returning to Syracuse in like 3-5 years would be one of the major storylines in college basketball that season and generate massive buzz on the recruiting trail. I still believe it’ll happen but I know others are skeptical.

Just watched the last 5 minutes again. Hop mentioned it multiple times when he was interviewed but the poise of his team who isnt returning one starter being down ten with 5 minutes to go and coming out with the W. Stewart is Fab on defense, McDaniels Warrickesqe and Carter looking like Wes, they're capable of being a final four team. Here's the game if anybody wants to watch.

Wait...so switching defenses may throw off an opponent for a possession or two?

This is mind-blowing...

in fairness, we do it with our press too. Jb won an Elite 8 game v number 1 seed doing that recently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom