Anything less than a top 25 season next year should be unacceptable | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Anything less than a top 25 season next year should be unacceptable

We do, but JB doesn’t. He’s said this is one of his best classes. Use these words against him.

And all these schools in the top 25 can find impact transfers and we don’t even try. It’s maddening.
It's frustrating seeing Baylor lose everyone from a NC team and reload with transfers to remain in the NC picture when we can't get enough to squeak into the top 25.

Stop. I’ve been one of JB’s biggest supporters over the year and have said multiple times he knows how to win in March. It is not about that.

He’s slipped.

We need changes now or we risk turning into football.
A decision to move on quickly from a very good coach on a decline is how football went downhill - and that’s on Gross, who went on to make a horrible hire. These decisions are not easy ones, no matter how many pitchforks people convince themselves they’ll need

Do you think expecting Syracuse to finish in the top 5 of the ACC and get a non-bubble NCAAT seed most years is expecting too much?
Depends on how much the ground has shifted in CBB. How much is HC, recruiting, NIL, uneven conference $, talent migration, etc.

I fear we’ll get a new coach who will inherit the same landscape but with less recruiting chops and more pressure

A decision to move on quickly from a very good coach on a decline is how football went downhill - and that’s on Gross, who went on to make a horrible hire. These decisions are not easy ones, no matter how many pitchforks people convince themselves they’ll need
There were other things going on with football. The university didn't invest enough money there either. Gross and Nancy wasted money in areas that didn't need funding. Not denying Grob was a terrible hire though.

Depends on how much the ground has shifted in CBB. How much is HC, recruiting, NIL, uneven conference $, talent migration, etc.

I fear we’ll get a new coach who will inherit the same landscape but with less recruiting chops and more pressure
Culture is important in college hoops.

The Dome and the fanbase will support the basketball program.

Two entire classes of Syracuse students will have come and gone without seeing a conference basketball on campus with 2 ranked teams playing.

The program isn’t going to become Boston College or Wake Forest.

The program infrastructure is a lot stronger. The next HC needs to be able to actually sell the positives of the program and recruit hard.
It’s not hard to win consistently in basketball like football.

Villanova, Baylor have winning DNA now.
You really like to contrarian positions.

This frustration isn’t a one or two year buildup.
The HC since he lost Hopkins until last offseason coasted on recruiting.

This program needs energy.

NIL is so overrated as an issue. Syracuse Basketball never relied on top 20 recruits.

It’s bread and butter are 4 star athletes.
Recruiting can be fixed with a change in coaching philosophy.
These kids want to play in the NBA and not 100% zone.

Last edited:

LOL we are 15-15. We have nothing to be scared of. It can’t really get any worst than this year. We have zero hope to do anything.

Good point. Very valid. One rebuttal, JW had a perfect reason and opportunity to replace Dino but choose to go an "easier" and "cheaper" route but didn't. Does the football coach get 1 yr to show a significant improvement? Does SU look to replace the head coach (per Plan thread) and perhaps their staff after next season? Now that would show commitment!

All comments are showing extremes and there probably is a middle ground thats works.
Football is entirely different. We can't keep getting rid of coaches. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. I like the approach he's taking there. He's giving Dino more resources.

Based upon what we think we know now, Top 25 is out of the question next season.

Assume we have back for the core - Jesse, Joe, Benny, and Symir. Assume we add Judah to the frosh class. That is not a Top 25 squad next season. If the frosh turn out to meet or exceed expectations maybe the following season.

IMHO, for us to be Top 25 next season we will need at least two above average starting caliber players from the portal. Then maybe we can talk.
I think one high level transfer and one with high level potential would suffice (an Alondes Williams type). But I have my doubts Boeheim will do what’s necessary to create a roster that can win at a high level.

Last edited:
Another year? He’s done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom