Anything less than a top 25 season next year should be unacceptable | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Anything less than a top 25 season next year should be unacceptable

It’s totally realistic, Texas tech had a long down period from 2008-2016, they’re in an upswing, Wisconsin is probably a fairer overall comparison of a school syracuse should be on par with.
Yep, Tech's down period and upswing was head coach related.

It’s totally realistic, Texas tech had a long down period from 2008-2016, they’re in an upswing, Wisconsin is probably a fairer overall comparison of a school syracuse should be on par with.
LOL well Wisconsin is significantly better than us right now. They’ve missed the tournament like once in 25 years.

We were one of them.

Our 2013 team metrically is better than 2003. They won 30
games and finished second in a much tougher conference than we are in now.

And nobody is expecting a 2010 like team every year.

One or two NiT teams a decade is fine. We should
not be on the bubble 8 straight years.

Our sister program(Arizona) to the west didn’t put up with this garbage and we shouldn’t either.
Sean miller was fired a combination of a lot of things… lol

If you really think this, and you're actually aware of what Wisconsin's results have been over the past 8 years (when looked at next to ours)... I'd probably start to question genuineness of your posting on here
Straw man argument much? Literally irrelevant to what I’ve posted on this thread.

LOL well Wisconsin is significantly better than us right now. They’ve missed the tournament like once in 25 years.
Okay? They’re no Duke and Kentucky, so sure strive to be like Wisconsin I have no issue with those expectations.

Straw man argument much? Literally irrelevant to what I’ve posted on this thread.
What? You just said we/Wisconsin are a good comparison. If that's the case, and you're aware of Wisconsin's season results the past several years compared to ours, you're completely full of s___

Okay? They’re no Duke and Kentucky, so sure strive to be like Wisconsin I have no issue with those expectations.
You have no issue with those expectations, and yet we've failed to come close to them for 8 years? And you can't understand why more and more of us have had it with this status quo?

Nobody is striving to be like Duke and UK.

This is what I expect from SU basketball:

1-2 NIT teams a decade with 1-2 bubble teams that make it.

6-7 years finishing top 5 in the ACC with a 6 seed or better(top 25)

3 legit top 10 teams a decade that can legit contend for a title.

We should be shooting for being Virginia or Villanova. We can do that if we have the proper player development.

What? You just said we/Wisconsin are a good comparison. If that's the case, and you're aware of Wisconsin's season results the past several years compared to ours, you're completely full of s___
Again, you’re just creating an argument I never made. I have talked about expectations, I think fans should be able to rightfully expect Syracuse to be on the level of Wisconsin, a perennial tournament player who has second weekend potential. They’re a team with dark horse potential, but rarely if ever are they favorite to win a national championship.

Do you think expecting Syracuse to finish in the top 5 of the ACC and get a non-bubble NCAAT seed most years is expecting too much?

As I've stated numerous times, it's hard to fathom how the expectations for program performance have shifted for a portion of the fanbase.

What you list above should be minimum threshold [i.e., reasonably competitive in conference, finishing in the top 3rd], with the stars aligning occasionally [like in 2010, 2012] when we've got the right combination of players.

Like I said, I’m level setting

Level setting??

Here are our seeds since 85.

85-7
86-2
87-2
88-3
89-2
90-2
91-2
92-6
93-NT
94-4
95-7
96-4
97-NT
98-5
99-8
00-4
01-5
02-NT
03-3
04-5
05-4
06-5
07-NT
08-NT
09-3
10-1
11-3
12-1
13-4
14-3
15-NT
16-10
17-NT
18-11
19-8
20-Covid( nt without acct title anyways)
21-10
22-likely NT

I mean there isn't an argument you can honestly make here. Worst 8 year stretch in appearances and seeding by far.

As I've stated numerous times, it's hard to fathom how the expectations for program performance have shifted for a portion of the fanbase.

What you list above should be minimum threshold, with the stars aligning occasionally [like in 2010, 2012] when we've got the right combination of players.
Yes, exactly. I'm expressing the minimum threshold for the sake of argument.

You have no issue with those expectations, and yet we've failed to come close to them for 8 years? And you can't understand why more and more of us have had it with this status quo?
I can understand why people are upset, i just think it’s pointless to fight for firing boeheim. He provided that level of consistency for 35+ years and his golden age was derailed by B.S. sanctions that would’ve never been (and since haven’t) been levied against another major university. The last 8 years obviously haven’t been great, but at the end of the day they’ve missed 1 tournament they were eligible for in the last 8 years.

It’s twenty regular season wins and a NCAA bid or bust. Nothing less. I don’t think that will be easy. He has some good players coming in, not great and they will struggle because they will be young. It’s not Duke talent where they just reload with three top five recruits. I don’t think they make the tourney next year unless he brings in a big time forward from the portal. JB’s keeps saying he told next years recruits he plans to coach next year. So What? He’s playing that game to save his job.
He needs to get a big time transfer out of the portal.

Again, you’re just creating an argument I never made. I have talked about expectations, I think fans should be able to rightfully expect Syracuse to be on the level of Wisconsin, a perennial tournament player who has second weekend potential. They’re a team with dark horse potential, but rarely if ever are they favorite to win a national championship.

Wisconsin's average seed since 94.. ( before 94 they hadn't been to a tourney since 1947) is a 6 seed.

Our average since 94 for equal comparison is a 5 seed and that includes the double digit seeds in our recent fall. You drop those and we average a 4 seed.

Just for an example, last year Arizona fired their longtime successful coach, lost eight ( ! ) players to the transfer portal, hired a new coach, brought in four transfers and a 4-star recruit (who doesn't play), and they're 2nd in the country.
Someone call into JB’s show and cite this example (and others) to him. I’d do it but have plans tomorrow night.

Last edited:
I can understand why people are upset, i just think it’s pointless to fight for firing boeheim. He provided that level of consistency for 35+ years and his golden age was derailed by B.S. sanctions that would’ve never been (and since haven’t) been levied against another major university. The last 8 years obviously haven’t been great, but at the end of the day they’ve missed 1 tournament they were eligible for in the last 8 years.
I could have put up with this year if the previous 7 weren’t so mediocre, but because the previous 7 were so mediocre he does not get a pass.

Orangezoo’s post above says it all. In a 30 year period we we’re a 6 seed or better 22 times and a 4 seed or better 17 times while just missing the tournament 5 times.

Since 2014 our highest seed is 8 and we are about to
miss the tournament for the fourth time. It’s not good enough.

The 30 year period from 84-2014 is what I expect from this program.

Last edited:
There is no ultimatum. Jim Boeheim will coach as long as he feels like it. The sooner we come to terms with that the sooner we can deal with it.
Wildhack already stated he has built up enough equity to stay around. He will never fire JB. No AD would to be fair.
Might as well get used to this. We will be at this level for the foreseeable future. If not lower.
Doesn’t matter how many recruits we have. JB will play his favorites 30+ minutes and everyone else will sit the bench.
This is who we are now. Middle to lower level ACC team.
Two words: Denny Crum. Even legends get the boot. Wake up. This was posted in another thread last night.

I could have put up with this year if the previous 7 weren’t so mediocre, but because the previous 7 were so mediocre he does not get a pass.

Orangezoo’s post above says it all. In a 30 year period we we’re a 6 seed or better 22 times and a 4 seed or better 17 times while just missing the tournament 5 times.

Since 2014 our highest seed is 8 and we are about to
moss the tournament for the fourth time. It’s not good enough.

The 30 year period from 84-2014 is what I expect from this program.
The fourth time? They missed 1 because of sanctions, 1 because of Covid and 1 NIT with Andrew whites team.

And before we get into “well X would’ve happened” you don’t know one way or another so arguing anything to the contrary is fruitless.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.
John Wildhack will never fire Jim Boeheim. It will never happen.
Jim decides when he leaves. Isn’t that obvious. It’s been time for him to leave but there isn’t any indication of that happening anytime soon.
If he was going to retire, wouldn’t this season be perfect. Got to coach his boys and ride off into the sunset.
It might not John’s decision to make.

The fourth time? They missed 1 because of sanctions, 1 because of Covid and 1 NIT with Andrew whites team.

Nice try

1-That 2015 team wasn't making the tourney. They went 18-13.
2- the covid team had to win the acct- smashing unc doesn't mean anything. Hence no tourney.
3- we aren't winning the acct this year.

4- the seeds make a huge difference. You still have no argument defending an island that is sinking. It makes no sense

This is a 5 seed or better program every year on a 10 year average. We are a top program in revenue, the largest on campus hoops venue and a long standing national brand. Anything less than that is a major drop as we have been recently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom