Archbold Stadium '78 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Archbold Stadium '78

My dad took me to that Navy game at Archbold back in '78. I was 11 and it was my first football game. I've been a fan ever since. My neighbor across the street tore up some blue and orange grass and distributed it to some of us around the neighborhood. I think I had a splintered piece of wood as well. They're long gone now. I had my dad take me down to Ithaca the following year to see SU play BC. I've seen dozens of football games in Ithaca since, but those were all on South Hill. My parents got season tix for football when they moved into the Dome. Is there a good documentary on Manley anywhere? I'd love to see that too.

My dad took me to that Navy game at Archbold back in '78. I was 11 and it was my first football game. I've been a fan ever since. My neighbor across the street tore up some blue and orange grass and distributed it to some of us around the neighborhood. I think I had a splintered piece of wood as well. They're long gone now. I had my dad take me down to Ithaca the following year to see SU play BC. I've seen dozens of football games in Ithaca since, but those were all on South Hill. My parents got season tix for football when they moved into the Dome. Is there a good documentary on Manley anywhere? I'd love to see that too.
IC grad by any chance?

Snuck into a number of games at Archbold when I was a kid. Was pretty easy to do..as I remember it involved climbing over a fence (or wall).

Went to a lot of home games when I was a student at SU in the 70's. More than one resulted in sitting in a puddle of water on those concrete seats. Loved the architecture of the place, but it wasn't all that user friendly.

Archbold was way before my time on the hill, however being from buffalo I have to ask if anyone on the board ever attended one of the games at rich stadium in 1979? And if so, what was it like?

I have asked my Dad before but he was at school at SU and never came home for a game.

I was there for a game versus Washington State. It wasn't a very good atmosphere...imagine a Tulane game in the SUperDome. I think announced attendance was around 10-12,000. Buffalo has never been a good town for Cuse support. SU should've played games only at Cornell and Meadowlands. The game itself was pretty good but the crowd was fairly dead.

I was there for a game versus Washington State. It wasn't a very good atmosphere...imagine a Tulane game in the SUperDome. I think announced attendance was around 10-12,000. Buffalo has never been a good town for Cuse support. SU should've played games only at Cornell and Meadowlands. The game itself was pretty good but the crowd was fairly dead.

Thanks for answering TM, I am not surprised by what you say. Buffalo is undoubtedly a pro sports city. Anything not Sabres, Bills or Yankees/Mets is foreign.

However, I will say that, in my opinion, SU is the #1 college in Buffalo (in terms of sports). Way more than Little 3 or UB. There is a strong Alumni-base in the area/ casual fans (mostly bball), I know many of us would love to see SU come back and play UB someday (maybe in RWS).

SU is frequently on local news and two of the bigger names on WGR are SU grads.. Sal Capaccio and Jeremy White.

I am not saying it is anything like Rochester or Albany, but Buffalo has a good number of SU fans.

I love around the 12:15 mark when Morris and Hurley start talking about the opposing locker room. It had a spiral staircase that you needed to come down to get to the field. Only 1 person could fit down it at a time. That had to take forever going up it at halftime. Now that is home field advantage! LMAO!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom