Are we a Mid-Major in Football? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Are we a Mid-Major in Football?

We're a terrible college football program since about 2004? How about that. No appearances in the top 25 in 15 years plus qualifies as inept. Call it mid-major, call it dysfunctional, call it whatever. I could care less about how u want to catalog it.

I think how we catalog it matters, actually. Mid-major is a basketball term and is largely unhelpful. We continue to de-empasize our transition from the Big East to the ACC - in terms of finances and in competition. Had Dino had Marrone's 2nd year schedule, he'd have been bowling and we'd be talking more about a resurgence. Were we terrible the last two years, given the top 10 schedule? This all matters.

You can paint the whole thing the same if you want, but you might miss something

2019 NFL Draft: Here's a super-early look at the top 100 prospects

UB with 3 top 100 prospects in this list. Obviously very early, but man it's crazy to think they have that kind of talent without any bowl games. I do think this season could be Leipolds breakout year there though. I can't wait until we get back to having multiple guys on our team being talked about as top draft prospects again. I'm thinking we could start seeing some progress in this regard in the next couple of years. Fingers crossed.

I think how we catalog it matters, actually. Mid-major is a basketball term and is largely unhelpful. We continue to de-empasize our transition from the Big East to the ACC - in terms of finances and in competition. Had Dino had Marrone's 2nd year schedule, he'd have been bowling and we'd be talking more about a resurgence. Were we terrible the last two years, given the top 10 schedule? This all matters.

You can paint the whole thing the same if you want, but you might miss something
Mid-major is not a basketball term. It is clearly defined in football, people have posted it. The demarcation line is simple, W-L doesn't matter, conference championships doesn't matter, playoff appearances do not matter, fan perception does not matter. Know what matters? $$$$$$$$$$$. It's that simple, and the money is in the P5, not the G5. That is the demarcation line. If you are in a P5 conference and get P5 money then you are not mid-major.

Boise State is one of the best of the best when it comes to G5 schools. Most recent stats I can get on their revenue. $6.81 million in gate revenues + $2.9 million in conference money

Syracuse - I can't find the actual breakdown but found a report that said we reported $41 million in revenue for football.

So in conclusion - one of the best G5 teams in the country < $10 million total football revenue
One of the so called P5 bottom feeders - $41 million

There is your demarcation line, anything else is BS and as the saying goes.....

Money talks, BS walks.

Not sure what the OP's so called knowledgeable buddies were talking about. But we bring in more in football revenue than Boise State's entire athletic budget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom