Are we better with Hima out there over McLeod? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Are we better with Hima out there over McLeod?

He's at the edge of the Top 10, so I guess I agree. But he wasn't that great, yet. His offense with his back to the basket is not that great; he travels a LOT.

My Top SU Centers:

1. Derrick Coleman (Yes, a PF until his last year. But played C as a Sr.)
2. Rony Seikaly
3. Etan Thomas
4. Bill Smith
5, Arinze Onuaku
6. Rick Jackson
7. LeRon Ellis
8. Danny Schayes
9. Otis Hill
10. Conrad McRae
11. Andre Hawkins
12. J B Reafsnyder

I could see you slotting in Dutch Treat somewhere in there toward the end of the list.
Fab Melo? Jesse Edwards? Come on…..

Haven't read this thread so apologies if reposting. Answer is- sometimes yes, sometimes no. We are certainly better with Maliq on the floor more than both. Hima is quicker. He's more aggressive and because of that will be more foul prone. McLeod appears more composed, but also much slower. Hima has a better chance at recovering late than McLeoud because he's got an edge with quickness. I do think McLeod has decent hands and coordination, he just doesn't get in position to use them enough.

For me, we have 10 fouls to use between them. That may matter against bigger physical teams. If we can squeeze 4-6p, 7-9r, and 2-4b combined from them that's a win.
Never understood the “each of them has 5 fouls”, if that was a strategy then why aren’t Carey, Hima, and Patterson getting in and foul people. We’re not defending Shaq.

He's at the edge of the Top 10, so I guess I agree. But he wasn't that great, yet. His offense with his back to the basket is not that great; he travels a LOT.

My Top SU Centers:

1. Derrick Coleman (Yes, a PF until his last year. But played C as a Sr.)
2. Rony Seikaly
3. Etan Thomas
4. Bill Smith
5, Arinze Onuaku
6. Rick Jackson
7. LeRon Ellis
8. Danny Schayes
9. Otis Hill
10. Conrad McRae
11. Andre Hawkins
12. J B Reafsnyder

I could see you slotting in Dutch Treat somewhere in there toward the end of the list.
My top 5 (I don't include Derrick as a C):
Rony
Rosie
Arinze
Danny
Andre (maybe not the most talented but a ton of heart)

Never understood the “each of them has 5 fouls”, if that was a strategy then why aren’t Carey, Hima, and Patterson getting in and foul people. We’re not defending Shaq.
Because like everything there are clearly limits. The foul thing absolutely is relevant. Be aggressive defending the hoop. If you foul out, so what? When we had Jesse in there, we did not have this luxury because he was too valuable a player on offense and nobody was behind him most of the time. With Hima and McLeod, fouling out is substantially less of an issue because they are not nearly as critical as other players and they back each other up.

Yes. McLeod isn’t very good.
Right now Hima may be our best option, however M has a bigger upside if he is coachable and we have adequate big man coaching. Both things are unknowns.

Right now Hima may be our best option, however M has a bigger upside if he is coachable and we have adequate big man coaching. Both things are unknowns.
yeah agreed. M is in a new system trying to learn how to play as a teammate.

giving him a steady diet of 10-20 min/game seems the right approach for now and the future.

Im surprised he isnt a great option on the press...imagine having to come down on a breakaway and he's guarding the rim...

question is: what are the ideal situations for the current version of mcleod? maybe when you play zone? maybe when you play man vs a big center who can score in the post???

Fab Melo? Jesse Edwards? Come on…..

Fab Melo, yes, I forgot about him.

The point of the list was who else might rate above Jesse Edwards. That's why he wasn't on my list - the question was "where would you rate him among these guys?"

For Fab Melo, I would put him at #7 behind Rick Jackson.

For Jesse Edwards, I would rate him behind Otis Hill, but ahead of Conrad McRae.

yeah agreed. M is in a new system trying to learn how to play as a teammate.

giving him a steady diet of 10-20 min/game seems the right approach for now and the future.

Im surprised he isnt a great option on the press...imagine having to come down on a breakaway and he's guarding the rim...

question is: what are the ideal situations for the current version of mcleod? maybe when you play zone? maybe when you play man vs a big center who can score in the post???

He's had knee problems. If we get 8 minutes a game from him, that would be great. 10-20 isn't going to happen; didn't you hear Red's press conference, or read about his comments on here that Mounir's body is "broken down", and we'll get from him what we can?

Glad to see you're not trashing him so badly, now that he's played a game and reminded you that he's not a waste of space. Just a young guy who has been hurting.

Last edited:
He's had knee problems. If we get 8 minutes a game from him, that would be great. 10-20 isn't going to happen; didn't you hear Red's press conference, or read about his comments on here that Mounir's body is "broken down", and we'll get from him what we can?

Glad to see your not trashing him so badly, now that he's played a game and reminded you that he's not a waste of space. Just a young guy who has been hurting.
i was talking about mcleod...M

havent heard anything official about any injury of mounir...listening to red's presser I got the sense that hes not injured at all.

The point of the list was who else might rate above Jesse Edwards. That's why he wasn't on my list - the question was "where would you rate him among these guys?"

For Jesse Edwards, I would rate him behind Otis Hill, but ahead of Conrad McRae.
Fair, but I still think you’re underrating Jesse by a lot.

Fair, but I still think you’re underrating Jesse by a lot.
For sure. His closest comps to me would be Bouie, and then Seikaly. It would be interesting to hear JB's take on the centers he coached.

i was talking about mcleod...M

havent heard anything official about any injury of mounir...listening to red's presser I got the sense that hes not injured at all.

I think it was last week that you were slamming Hima, unless I'm thinking of somebody else.

Except when double teamed. Then his hands suck as he’s easily stripped or throws the ball away.

Your opinion confuses me.
McLeod had a reputation at FSU of not being able to defend the pick and roll.

McLeod had a reputation at FSU of not being able to defend the pick and roll.

So, if the other team doesn't have a center who can shoot from outside, let him play a one man zone in the lane. He would do better that way, as a backstop to perimeter defenders getting beat off the dribble.

I know they say he played forward but Rudy Hackett was better than most of the guys on the initial list.

Hima flashed an ability to defend in space against GTown that I don't remember seeing last year. McLeod doesn't have that at all. Maliq can do it a little. Just take it game by game - Give him 5 minutes against Oregon and see how it goes. Hell he might get more if McLeod is still banged up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom