Are we done with adding players for 2024-25? | Syracusefan.com

Are we done with adding players for 2024-25?

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
I am out of town and have to listen to Infanti and Scibilia to get my Orange fix.

They are of the opinion that:

1) We won’t add another starting caliber player from the portal.
2) The team will be fine with what we have.

I think this take is incorrect, and if it is correct, we are in trouble.

Unless Westry stays healthy and is the impact guy we need as a lead guard-type player, or Carlos suddenly learns to hit 3’s, I don’t know how this team is going to be the best version of what it could be. Not enough shooting again, and counting on a point guard that has never played at this level.

The whole point of adding both Leffew and Carlos was to have a variety of experienced options. We don’t have that, in my opinion. I do think our center and forward positions are in better shape than they were last year but I am not convinced a PG from Hofstra will be a 30 mpg impact starter on NCAA tournament team in the ACC.

I am out of town and have to listen to Infanti and Scibilia to get my Orange fix.

Unless Westry stays healthy and is the impact guy we need as a lead guard-type player, or Carlos suddenly learns to hit 3’s, I don’t know how this team is going to be the best version of what it could be. Not enough shooting again, and counting on a point guard that has never played at this level.

The whole point of adding both Leffew and Carlos was to have a variety of experienced options. We don’t have that, in my opinion. I do think our center and forward positions are in better shape than they were last year but I am not convinced a PG from Hofstra will be a 30 mpg impact starter on NCAA tournament team in the ACC.

I'm assuming Red et al are still looking, but I don't think it will matter based on who they can get.

We aren't getting anyone net new, imo, that will change what we'll be going into the season.

You are 100% right, imo, that we are essentially depending on Westry to explode.

1. We aren't done. I think the plan is to add two more players. One will be a starter. 2. I think they think carlos is better than you do. He hit 34% of his 3's. That is not bad. Plus, he is a 90% free throw shooter. I think we would also like to add a big that can be a fill in.

carlos will be FINE. People were dying for a freaking budget judah but cant see the massive upside potential of adding a real floor general to the roster for the first time in a decade. He is 34% from 3. You dont need a point guard who hits 40%+ when you are supposed to have 3 other guys who can shoot it at a good clip in JJ, Bell, and hopefully Freeman + whoever else gets brought in.

No, we aren’t done. Good grief Paulie is insufferable.
Sad Lonely GIF by Pokémon

Carlos can score the ball. You don’t score 90 and 74 points in a game in hs game if you can’t shoot.

1. We aren't done. I think the plan is to add two more players. One will be a starter. 2. I think they think carlos is better than you do. He hit 34% of his 3's. That is not bad. Plus, he is a 90% free throw shooter. I think we would also like to add a big that can be a fill in.
I wouldn’t be concerned about the 3 point shooting if we had a ringer at the 2, but it’s difficult to project how JJ will do there. That's the main reason I want another shooter.

carlos will be FINE. People were dying for a freaking budget judah but cant see the massive upside potential of adding a real floor general to the roster for the first time in a decade. He is 34% from 3. You dont need a point guard who hits 40%+ when you are supposed to have 3 other guys who can shoot it at a good clip in JJ, Bell, and hopefully Freeman + whoever else gets brought in.
Is fine good enough? Maybe.

If JJ makes an improvement and becomes consistent from deep, if Bell becomes more consistent and adds elements to his game other than being a standstill shooter.

If those two things happen and we have enough firepower around him that can create shots and be complementary, then that's probably all we need. However, I am not convinced this will happen.

Therefore, I still believe we need a starter at the guard position - doesn't matter if it's a combo guard or a point guard. As I said previously, the whole point of getting both Leffew and Carlos (and by all accounts other than the two nincompoops on OrangeNation is that is what the hope was) was to have options in the backcourt. And be a deeper, better team.

As of now, the lineup of:

G - Carlos
G - Starling
F - Bell
F - Freeman
C - Lampkin

Top Reserves - Davis, Westry, Maybe McLeod
Other Reserves - Moore, Cuffe

Is far too reliant on guys who are too inconsistent (Bell), potentially too young (Freeman, Moore), have injury history (Westry, Starling), haven't proven themselves at the highest level (Carlos, Davis), or who just might not be good enough (McLeod, Cuffe).

Lampkin is the only one who has shown he is a legitimate Top 25 starter.

I wouldn’t be concerned about the 3 point shooting if we had a ringer at the 2, but it’s difficult to project how JJ will do there. That's the main reason I want another shooter.
Exactly. Need someone from the guard position at this day and age that can come in and hit shots on a consistent basis. JJ flashed in the middle of the season. Didn't have a great start or finish.

We have 17 guards on the roster. No more room at the inn. Bell and Donnie are clearly the starting Forwards, so we weren’t/aren’t bringing in any more Forwards who are starting-caliber. Lampkin came here to start and we seem fine with McLeod playing backup.

It’s safe to say we’re not adding anybody else; if we do, it’ll be a depth/project guy, not a contributor.

I am hoping #1 is accurate. Need better players, IMO, to be where we all want to be.

#2... I think he can run the show and provide a spark. I just don't know if he's a 30 mpg starter at this level. He's smallish, could wear down against more physical teams, and with the length he will see in the ACC at the guard position, I'm not sure if his 34% will be impacted by that.

Is fine good enough? Maybe.

If JJ makes an improvement and becomes consistent from deep, if Bell becomes more consistent and adds elements to his game other than being a standstill shooter.

If those two things happen and we have enough firepower around him that can create shots and be complementary, then that's probably all we need. However, I am not convinced this will happen.

Therefore, I still believe we need a starter at the guard position - doesn't matter if it's a combo guard or a point guard. As I said previously, the whole point of getting both Leffew and Carlos (and by all accounts other than the two nincompoops on OrangeNation is that is what the hope was) was to have options in the backcourt. And be a deeper, better team.

As of now, the lineup of:

G - Carlos
G - Starling
F - Bell
F - Freeman
C - Lampkin

Top Reserves - Davis, Westry, Maybe McLeod
Other Reserves - Moore, Cuffe

Is far too reliant on guys who are too inconsistent (Bell), potentially too young (Freeman, Moore), have injury history (Westry, Starling), haven't proven themselves at the highest level (Carlos, Davis), or who just might not be good enough (McLeod, Cuffe).

Lampkin is the only one who has shown he is a legitimate Top 25 starter.
With who was in the pipeline, fine is all the roster was ever going to get at PG. I think even if leffew came, Carlos was going to replace him in the starting lineup by mid December. The team needs a distributor not a ball dominator (and yes 16 shots a game is dominating the ball).

Starter at PG? Because I'm assuming Lampkin, Donnie, Bell and JJ aren't being moved off starting roles.

If we are doing this convincing for how good Carlos can be, we're toast.

We are going to be middle of the road in the ACC *at best* with who we can still get unless they all of a sudden get a Kadary.

This isn't good.

I heard the discussion as we could certainly use more depth, especially a third guy who can play center, but if we have to roll with the ten we have we can be fine if we stay healthy. Don't really have an issue with that and think it's a better roster than we have had last year. certainly better than we closed the season with.

Exactly. Need someone from the guard position at this day and age that can come in and hit shots on a consistent basis. JJ flashed in the middle of the season. Didn't have a great start or finish.

I agree with your posts in this thread.

If people's arguments are hoping that basically four guys end up being better than they were, we're toast. That's not how things work.

I heard the discussion as we could certainly use more depth, especially a third guy who can play center, but if we have to roll with the ten we have we can be fine if we stay healthy. Don't really have an issue with that and think it's a better roster than we have had last year. certainly better than we closed the season with.
I don’t see it. Maliq and Judah were our two best players despite what people think about them. This looks like our typical 18-20 win team right now that ends up declining another NIT. Not enough shooting and the defense got worse.

I agree with your posts in this thread.

If people's arguments are hoping that basically four guys end up being better than they were, we're toast. That's not how things work.
Agument is that there will be some improvement in at least some of the five returnees and that Lampkin + Davis + Carlos + Freeman + Moore > Hima + Mintz + Taylor + Copeland + Brown + Carey

I wish we got involved with TJ Power. It looks like he's visiting BC tomorrow. That would be a great pickup for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom