Are you freakin kidding me? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Are you freakin kidding me?

Checkmate.
Signed,
King Doucher
COACH-CAL-SHOVE.gif

Pitino did that same thing against us last year, I believe. Disgusting.

Isn't there a written rule about coaches and the box?

Yeah, if you're yelling at the ref, you have to be in the box. If you're administering to your team, or checking with the table for, say, fouls, etc. you can be outside it. But the photo of Turgeon and the vid clip of Calipari indicate to me it's getting out of hand. There's no excuse for either to have taken it that far beyond what's reasonable. Makes me wonder if there is a "point of emphasis" directing officials not to T that kind of thing.

One time I'd like to see a player just throw the ball to a coach on the court and have the automatic technical get called. It'd stop a bunch if these primary Donna coaches from thinking they belong in the field of play. Mike Tomlin says hello.

Before anyone asks, yes I do believe even the invoke tent ACC officials would call the T. A coach that makes contact with the ball while on the court automatically gets td up.

Point of emphasis to make sure coaches stay in the box...wasn't that what we heard after Saturday night?

It's my biggest pet peeve with college hoops. Some player is going tear an ACL trying to avoid one of these coaches

With the way the officiating has gone lately I wouldn't be surprised if the coach pulls a Jason Kidd and they get the benefit of it in the end anyways.

One time I'd like to see a player just throw the ball to a coach on the court and have the automatic technical get called. It'd stop a bunch if these primary Donna coaches from thinking they belong in the field of play. Mike Tomlin says hello.

Before anyone asks, yes I do believe even the invoke tent ACC officials would call the T. A coach that makes contact with the ball while on the court automatically gets td up.

It's my guess they'd have to T 'em both up. Deliberately throwing the ball at the other coach is over the line, and that coach being on the floor doesn't make it permissible. Now, if he was throwing a pass to his own teammate and it hits the coach, that's something else altogether.

Last edited:
It's my guess they'd have to T 'em both up. Deliberately throwing the ball at the other coach is over the line, and that coach being on the floor doesn't authorize it. Now, if he was throwing a pass to his own teammate and it hits the coach, that's something else altogether.

OK...so we need to have a teammate set up behind or at least near the coach to act as the "target" for the pass. Then the player with the ball rockets it off his face and can justify it that he was zipping a crisp pass to his teammate and it just went awry.

This must happen.

It's my guess they'd have to T 'em both up. Deliberately throwing the ball at the other coach is over the line, and that coach being on the floor doesn't authorize it. Now, if he was throwing a pass to his own teammate and it hits the coach, that's something else altogether.
Is there anything in the rule book that would state that a player throwing a ball to a coach that is on the court is over the line? I see where you're coming from, but to T the player I think some explicit rule would need to be broken.

Is there anything in the rule book that would state that a player throwing a ball to a coach that is on the court is over the line? I see where you're coming from, but to T the player I think some explicit rule would need to be broken.

There are literally hundreds of pictures of Dixon on the court, in this pose
aDCG4.jpg

5.jpg

g258258000000000000f150ae5177ac64c9b3b40611ceecf4f6131fc0a4.jpg

Cowtown said:
Yeah, if you're yelling at the ref, you have to be in the box. If you're administering to your team, or checking with the table for, say, fouls, etc. you can be outside it. But the photo of Turgeon and the vid clip of Calipari indicate to me it's getting out of hand. There's no excuse for either to have taken it that far beyond what's reasonable. Makes me wonder if there is a "point of emphasis" directing officials not to T that kind of thing.

Then they let at least 1 T go. There was another time he was a few feet into the court up near midcourt complaining about a non call.

Well, I ref in FIBA, and the rule on technical fouls is pretty much the same, IIRC. It's very broadly written for the purpose of wide application, and it states ...

Art. 38 Technical foul
38.1 Rules of conduct
38.1.1 The proper conduct of the game demands the full and loyal cooperation of the players and team bench personnel with the officials, table officials and commissionner, if present.
38.1.2 Each team shall do its best to secure victory, but this must be done in the spirit of sportsmanship and fair play.
38.1.3 Any deliberate or repeated non-cooperation or non-compliance with the spirit and intent of this rule shall be considered as a technical foul.

There's more, but that's the essence of it.

edit: Firing the ball at the coach is not within the "spirit of sportsmanship."

Last edited:
Then they let at least 1 T go. There was another time he was a few feet into the court up near midcourt complaining about a non call.

There's a lot of grey in that. You're not obliged to T him just because he's out of the box and talking at you, but the rule says you're justified if you choose to (which you would if he's being abusive). If he's out but not being abusive, you walk him back to the box during a dead ball. Like a lot of situations, you have to use your knowledge of the rule and your best judgment. And the common practice is you give him a warning first unless it's really abusive.

Well, I ref in FIBA, and the rule on technical fouls is pretty much the same, IIRC. It's very broadly written for the purpose of wide application, and it states ...

Art. 38 Technical foul
38.1 Rules of conduct
38.1.1 The proper conduct of the game demands the full and loyal cooperation of the players and team bench personnel with the officials, table officials and commissionner, if present.
38.1.2 Each team shall do its best to secure victory, but this must be done in the spirit of sportsmanship and fair play.
38.1.3 Any deliberate or repeated non-cooperation or non-compliance with the spirit and intent of this rule shall be considered as a technical foul.

There's more, but that's the essence of it.
Given that, I can see the player getting a T, as well as being angry about it since the opposing coach was violating the spirit of sportsmanship by being on the floor.

Enforced about as often as hand checks are

It's got to be left to the judgment of the official. For if the guy's close to the line and I talk him down, he now owes me. And if he does it again and I stick him, he has nothing to complain about.

I'm frustrated with the lack of handcheck fouls as well, but I can't change that all by myself, so I have to be consistent with the way it's handled everywhere else. :noidea:

There are literally hundreds of pictures of Dixon on the court, in this pose
aDCG4.jpg

5.jpg

g258258000000000000f150ae5177ac64c9b3b40611ceecf4f6131fc0a4.jpg
Oh, the things Lawrinson could do with those squat shots.

Of course, Pitt shiznitting the bed would require a backdrop of the first or second round of the NCAAs

Turgeon also said even though they lost he felt Maryland is the better team. Guy must have missed the first 35 minutes
Definition of delusional: Thinking and saying your team is better than 26-2 when you are a lofty 15-13, 7-8 in conference and haven't beaten a ranked team. You're the best Maryland!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom