argument for start chucking like ovcina and deyawn williams | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

argument for start chucking like ovcina and deyawn williams

Chucking also results in more long rebounds & more runouts. Which is not a recipe for success.
yeah but my plan depends on making those terrible shots!

the mosh pit offense probably keeps more games close but i don't care about that. this is desperation

Chucking also results in more long rebounds & more runouts. Which is not a recipe for success.
Yes, I was thinking more of the unsettled situations it would create for the defense.

At this point I'm fairly confident that our defense is something that we can rely on. Whether it can be as efficient as it has been recently? Duke is a better offensive team than our recent opponents.

I have little confidence in our offense, and if Duke decides to go inside (which they should Bagley-Carter)) I can see Chewy, Sidibe, and Brissett having early and serious foul trouble. That could put a dent in our D.

But...anything is possible.

the mosh pit offense probably keeps more games close but i don't care about that. this is desperation

Fair point. The counterpoint is the longer games stay close, the tighter opponents get against the zone.

Agreed that our offense -- as bad as it has been -- could benefit by waiting and chucking. But as has been said previously, we already do this a lot anyway...

At this point I'm fairly confident that our defense is something that we can rely on. Whether it can be as efficient as it has been recently? Duke is a better offensive team than our recent opponents.

I have little confidence in our offense, and if Duke decides to go inside (which they should Bagley-Carter)) I can see Chewy, Sidibe, and Brissett having early and serious foul trouble. That could put a dent in our D.

But - are they??

I thought that ALL 3 of ASU, TCU, and MSU were in the Top 10 overall for Offense.
MSU was top of the charts in several O categories, plus (like Duke) also with a Top 15 Defense too.

Duke is not far and away better on O than any of the last 3 teams we played, at least by the #'s.

ASU, SMU and MSU all had excellent offenses. Duke's may be better, but not by much. Seeing them for a second time should help.

I think we need to be careful comparing the offensive statistics of teams that play in different conferences.

MSU and Ariz. State played weaker competition in conference than Duke and Syracuse.

I saw a "expert" arguing on ESPN or CBS that MSU was better than Duke. The other guy said well Duke beat MSU on a neutral floor. The first guy said "well MSU looks so much better since that game."

It may not be pretty but shortening the game and limiting possessions is our best chance. Probably our only chance.

We generally look bad against zone defenses. This was true against Wake in the 1st half of ACCT when we were just chucking 3s. However, we exploded against their zone in the 2nd half when we started to penetrate.

Duke's zone is a lot better than what Wake threw at us, but I'm holding out hope based on that 2nd half

I’m all in on the mosh pit at this point.

The hockey equivalent to our offense is the dump and chase. Just fire it at the rim and try to go and get the rebound, maybe something happens.

We are essentially the heel of the tournament now. Everyone hates watching our O and doesn’t think much better of the D. I say we take it to extremes and dribble the ball until there is three seconds left on the clock and then chuck up a 40 footer. Send everyone crashing the boards, or better yet, play prevent and send everyone back on D the minute someone chucks it.

Would love to win a game 28-25. Like watching a really good CYO game.

same recipe as before.. just rebound the ball better.. keep our bigs in the game this time.

They will zone us. We must flash Marek to the foul line and keep OB down low for Marek to feed him. Make Dukes bigs react to Marek. But we will struggle if Frank won't make the foul line entry pass to MD. Frank has refused to make that pass ALL YEAR (Tyus does). And I have no idea why he won't. The next time he makes that pass will be the first . We need Oshae down low, not wandering around the three point line. We are playing way better defense now than when we played them before. I have hope this time.

We r playing with house money! No matter what happens SU is a huge winner. If they beat Duke maybe I took too many Ambiens and this is all but a big dream. Please don’t wake me up til after the shirts and hats are handed out with the printing saying SU the 2018 NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPS!

My concern with the 2's is getting our bigs in foul trouble.
They will pass over the top to their athletic bigs and that will lead to demoralizing dunks and fouls on our crippled bigs. If we are to win we have to stop them from doing this.

They will pass over the top to their athletic bigs and that will lead to demoralizing dunks and fouls on our crippled bigs. If we are to win we have to stop them from doing this.
They will def get a few of those. Defend the pass, but once they catch it, no dumb fouls from behind by Marek or OB that result in And 1s and foul trouble for us

I have to imagine K’s top priority will be to foul out our centers ASAP.

K knows once Chewie & Bourama are out then Marek (aka third string 5) will soon follow. And the lane will become a Duke runway.

We’d almost certainly be forced into a Philip Seymour Hoffman three-chucking display with a lineup of Battle, Brissett, Frank, Moyer & Bayer.

For me it all hinges on how long our true centers stay in the game.

But I won’t be mad if they decide to let it rain from the jump.

Unleash them. This would be one of the biggest upsets we have ever had, imo. I get we have beaten Duke in recent years, but I stand by that. There is very little reason for anybody to think Duke doesn't win this game by 10. That's also why the game is not one on paper, though..

We're due for a better shooting game out of Battle and Frank, aren't we?

In theory. Might get better shots in this game against zone. Otherwise it’s been a real struggle against man. They’ve been taking tough shots and haven’t been able to shake defenders as well.

do you think it's a bad idea to expect that duke will score much more than our other opponents?

or do you think that it's a bad idea to shoot more threes despite expecting duke to score more than than our other opponents?

i'm glad JB is the coach, I just want to know where I'm wrong.

I dunno about all those SRS comparisons, but your overall point is not wrong at all. Duke is much better than us. When you are a huge dog, you need to increase your variance to increase you chances of winning. It's not rocket science.

I believe we can score in the 60's. The bottom line is we need Marek to play well. If he can hit that free throw line jumper and make plays in there which he is capable of I think we have a decent chance. They only out rebounds us by a slim margin last time and that was in Cameron. I think we should focus on getting out on Allen and Trent. If they don't get going then we have a shot. Hopefully Carter doesn't play as well as he did last time.

I have to imagine K’s top priority will be to foul out our centers ASAP.

K knows once Chewie & Bourama are out then Marek (aka third string 5) will soon follow. And the lane will become a Duke runway.

We’d almost certainly be forced into a Philip Seymour Hoffman three-chucking display with a lineup of Battle, Brissett, Frank, Moyer & Bayer.

For me it all hinges on how long our true centers stay in the game.

But I won’t be mad if they decide to let it rain from the jump.

No doubt. Their strategy will be to attack the hoop. Unlike the teams we just exposed, Duke has the athletes to take it to the hole or pass to the blocks. We have to have a decent offensive showing if we are to win. Duke will have a decent points per possession. don't be fooled by their low total points at our last game.

I dunno about all those SRS comparisons, but your overall point is not wrong at all. Duke is much better than us. When you are a huge dog, you need to increase your variance to increase you chances of winning. It's not rocket science.
the tricky part is evaluating how big a dog we actually are. i won't be upset if we neutral zone trap our way to a shartshow, i just wonder - tough to decide whether we need to go so high variance

Well Vegas says we are about 14% to win, which is of course correct (or very close to it.) I am on board with any strategy that increases our variance a ton.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom