Army Attendance | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Army Attendance

I used to have a work friend back when I was living in CNY who rooted for:
  • FSU for college football
  • Atlanta Braves in MLB
  • Dallas Cowboys in NFL
  • Chicago Bulls in NBA
  • ... and Syracuse for college hoops
This was in the mid-to-late 90s. All of those other teams were at their peak, winning championships [more or less]. I used to give him a lot of grief over his "life long fandom" of all of the teams that were on top at that particular timeframe.

It also drives me nuts how the enormous Irish population in Syracuse [and I'm part Irish] who actively root for Notre Dame -- even over Syracuse. Makes no sense to me whatsoever, and makes me loathe ND even more.
that might be the most ridiculous lineup of favorite teams I have ever seen. I worked once with a southern woman who rooted for Alabama football and Kentucky basketball. She got real quiet the year Kentucky played a road game in the NIT I think vs. Robert Morris and lost!

I used to have a work friend back when I was living in CNY who rooted for:
  • FSU for college football
  • Atlanta Braves in MLB
  • Dallas Cowboys in NFL
  • Chicago Bulls in NBA
  • ... and Syracuse for college hoops
This was in the mid-to-late 90s. All of those other teams were at their peak, winning championships [more or less]. I used to give him a lot of grief over his "life long fandom" of all of the teams that were on top at that particular timeframe.

It also drives me nuts how the enormous Irish population in Syracuse [and I'm part Irish] who actively root for Notre Dame -- even over Syracuse. Makes no sense to me whatsoever, and makes me loathe ND even more.
I have a coworker who roots for:
49ers
Braves
Avalanche
Tar Heels in hoops
ND in football

I give the students credit for showing up the way they have. I would never have thought the gen pop would be ones not coming to games. Wild
Do you ever golf at Onandaga G&CC?

I have a coworker who roots for:
49ers
Braves
Avalanche
Tar Heels in hoops
ND in football
Father in Law
Redskins (Football Team, Commanders?)
Braves
Lakers
ND Football
Syracuse Basketball (though he was very tired of JB at the end and it has dwindled his interest in the team)

Huh, there are a ton of tickets available that are dirt cheap.
Should be...tons of folks are probably reselling their free Vet tix.

I'm not a fan of this though

With Ticketmaster showing every other row available they are definitely manipulating the number of seats available to make it look like tickets are selling. I expect the same attendance at WMU.

I’ve always thought the same thing with the Albany area.
The Capital Region is annoying in that our area thinks it’s a top tiered pro region even though we historically don’t even support our own minor league teams well enough.

Case in point; most people around here prefer the NFL and think college football to be beneath them. We have an ACC team two hours West of us and most people don’t feel any loyalty to SU. It’s mind boggling to me.. they are the upstate NY team!

The Capital Region is annoying in that our area thinks it’s a top tiered pro region even though we historically don’t even support our own minor league teams well enough.

Case in point; most people around here prefer the NFL and think college football to be beneath them. We have an ACC team two hours West of us and most people don’t feel any loyalty to SU. It’s mind boggling to me.. they are the upstate NY team!

I get that completely but on the flip side you’re not going to get those people to games until maybe now because of how long the history of losing has been. That’s why consistency each season is so important. But you do need to do some level of marketing to that area to put the idea in people’s heads.

Its amazing that people try to justify not marketing a business that has well over $100,000,000 invested in it that relies on revenue generation, as well as tv ratings.

Why bother? I don’t know, because its an ACC football program??

Crazy

I get that completely but on the flip side you’re not going to get those people to games until maybe now because of how long the history of losing has been. That’s why consistency each season is so important. But you do need to do some level of marketing to that area to put the idea in people’s heads.
I think the “New York’s College Football Team” promotion was abandoned to quickly.

I’m surprised there aren’t more people from the Rochester area that go to games. It’s an easy hour drive down the thruway if you’re on the east side of Rochester and plenty go the opposite direction on Sunday’s to go to Bills games.
I’m from Rome but live in Rochester . You do see people wearing orange shirts in Rochester, but most are basketball fans.

Son in law:
Miami Dolphins
Duke BBall
NY Yankees

I think the “New York’s College Football Team” promotion was abandoned to quickly.

Maybe but I think any type of marketing in the 2 hour radius would help. It also likely won’t help immediately. I’ve said numerous times on here over the years, we’ve lost a couple generations of fans that have seen almost zero success with the football team. It’s going to take a long-term effort to get people to just consider spending most of their Saturday at the dome. But there’s ways to do that, you can create excitement in numerous ways. Other than a loss, people who attend games don’t tend to leave thinking they wasted their money. But gotta get them in a seat.

Its amazing that people try to justify not marketing a business that has well over $100,000,000 invested in it that relies on revenue generation, as well as tv ratings.

Why bother? I don’t know, because its an ACC football program??

Crazy

Yeah, it’s really mind blowing isn’t it?

Like I said, a double A team shouldn’t be out marketing a D1 P5 football team

But here we are

Maybe but I think any type of marketing in the 2 hour radius would help. It also likely won’t help immediately. I’ve said numerous times on here over the years, we’ve lost a couple generations of fans that have seen almost zero success with the football team. It’s going to take a long-term effort to get people to just consider spending most of their Saturday at the dome. But there’s ways to do that, you can create excitement in numerous ways. Other than a loss, people who attend games don’t tend to leave thinking they wasted their money. But gotta get them in a seat.
It’s just irritating that upstate NY fans, whether that be CNY, WNY, or Capital Region, can’t be bothered unless the team is ranked and/ or undefeated. And then when they do show up these casuals are walking up and down the aisle the entire game and stand in the aisle during plays.

I know we want it loud but these are the people we are coveting.

Big step would be to increase the on-field entertainment offerings during those insanely long commercial timeouts. Watching a Ford truck race on the video board doesn't cut it. Doing those lame old cheers that nobody cares about won't cut it.

More dance team at the 50-yard-line.

Use the video board for live look-ins to other ACC or national games. Would love to see FSU-Clemson look-ins on Saturday (absolutely hate that both are nooners).

Granted, I don't have any other good ideas off the top of my head. Maybe others can chime in.

It’s just irritating that upstate NY fans, whether that be CNY, WNY, or Capital Region, can’t be bothered unless the team is ranked and/ or undefeated. And then when they do show up these casuals are walking up and down the aisle the entire game and stand in the aisle during plays.

Yes because after they come to a few games they become invested and die hard

For example, look at you.

You came to one game and you were hooked.

Getting people in the dome is most of the battle

Last edited:
Yes because after they come to a few games they become invested and die gards

For example, look at you.

You came to one game and you were hooked.

Getting people in the dome is most of the battle
Can’t argue with that, good point.

But I’d also point out I first came to the Dome in 2021, coming off possibly the worst SUFB season ever. I’m just pointing out the front running aspect.

Rule of thumb / generalization for me has always been:

-- Albany, doesn't care about SU. More focused on NYC / Boston pro teams.

-- Buffalo, doesn't care about SU. More focused on their own pro teams.

-- Southern Tier, east of Elmira, doesn't care about SU, seem to be more Pittsburgh oriented.

-- Rochester, strong SU presence.

Of course, that's a generalization. I get that there are pockets of fans / outliers everywhere. But that seems to be the breakdown that I've observed.

From a sports entertainment perspective, Albany definitely sides with pro sports and NYC. Most are Giants/Jets fans, and folks seem to follow baseball more. Makes sense - just as close to NYC as you are Cuse.

Rochester definitely has better Syracuse fans than Albany. Rochester also has almost no Jets/Giants fans (go Bills) and is closer to Syracuse.

I’ve always thought Albany was a bit of the oddball out of the 4 major upstate cities (in terms of everything).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom