Army Attendance | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Army Attendance

Rule of thumb / generalization for me has always been:

-- Albany, doesn't care about SU. More focused on NYC / Boston pro teams.

-- Buffalo, doesn't care about SU. More focused on their own pro teams.

-- Southern Tier, east of Elmira, doesn't care about SU, seem to be more Pittsburgh oriented.

-- Rochester, strong SU presence.

Of course, that's a generalization. I get that there are pockets of fans / outliers everywhere. But that seems to be the breakdown that I've observed.

That is the case for FB, but BBall has those areas. So it is possible to gain FB fans from those area IMO. Not an easy task though.

I find it interesting that people are ignoring the Utica/Rome area and instead jumping to Albany. Utica is obviously a smaller market, but I think attracting people from there is much more realistic. Being within a 1.5 hr drive is the sweet spot to market. Just circle a radius of area within 1.5 hrs away from Cuse and focus on that. Watertown to the north, Rochester to the west, Utica to the east, and Binghamton to the south. Anything beyond that seems like a waste of resources.

I find it interesting that people are ignoring the Utica/Rome area and instead jumping to Albany. Utica is obviously a smaller market, but I think attracting people from there is much more realistic. Being within a 1.5 hr drive is the sweet spot to market. Just circle a radius of area within 1.5 hrs away from Cuse and focus on that. Watertown to the north, Rochester to the west, Utica to the east, and Binghamton to the south. Anything beyond that seems like a waste of resources.
The Capital Region/ Saratoga area is booming and has been for the last couple decades. It’s a quick, straight, two hour drive down I90 W.

Having said that, I’m all for all of upstate being Cuse fans!

I remember the Washington sponsored tailgate when we played out there. It was pretty good. I know we have Cuse on the Quad but is it decent? I think with a good University tailgate it would be easier getting casuals from further away. They can get a taste of the SU FB experience.

Heck you can sell a game ticket, tailgate ticket, and party bus ride from Buffalo, Rochester, Utica, Albany, Yonkers, New Rochelle, NYC. Although there might not be enough demand for those bus rides.

Ultimately though having mild success and entertaining football will be what works best.

I remember the Washington sponsored tailgate when we played out there. It was pretty good. I know we have Cuse on the Quad but is it decent? I think with a good University tailgate it would be easier getting casuals from further away. They can get a taste of the SU FB experience.

Heck you can sell a game ticket, tailgate ticket, and party bus ride from Buffalo, Rochester, Utica, Albany, Yonkers, New Rochelle, NYC. Although there might not be enough demand for those bus rides.

Ultimately though having mild success and entertaining football will be what works best.

I’ve heard cuse on the quad is pretty good

Never really attended so can’t say for sure

I’ve heard cuse on the quad is pretty good

Never really attended so can’t say for sure

As an out of towner it's nice. Plenty of food and drink and back on campus (no offense to tailgaters out in the lots) which is what you really want.

As an out of towner it's nice. Plenty of food and drink and back on campus (no offense to tailgaters out in the lots) which is what you really want.
Agree. It's also way better than what happened before -- nothing. It's nice to see a little bit of a buzz. For big games it's pretty crowded. I usually walk through with the kids and maybe grab something or see what promos they're doing. The autograph sessions with other teams and the band is always fun too. I know some folks who usually pre-game there every week.

Agree. It's also way better than what happened before -- nothing. It's nice to see a little bit of a buzz. For big games it's pretty crowded. I usually walk through with the kids and maybe grab something or see what promos they're doing. The autograph sessions with other teams and the band is always fun too. I know some folks who usually pre-game there every week.

I actually think this needs to be marketed more, Cuse on the Quad

Great way to bring more fun to a football game

The Capital Region is annoying in that our area thinks it’s a top tiered pro region even though we historically don’t even support our own minor league teams well enough.

Case in point; most people around here prefer the NFL and think college football to be beneath them. We have an ACC team two hours West of us and most people don’t feel any loyalty to SU. It’s mind boggling to me.. they are the upstate NY team!

There's one two hours east as well. ;)

Son in law:
Miami Dolphins
Duke BBall
NY Yankees

Just three more reasons to hate him. :)

Albany is more connected to Downstate and just as connected to New England. Hence the pro team mentality. However, it's been my observation that there are a lot of Orange hoops fans in the Capital District.

Just my thought on capital region area. I agree with everything said. You’re not going to get a huge amount of fans from the area. But with consistency on the field and marketing I think you can get a fair amount for some games at least. Ultimately, on the weekends, families/couples/friends are looking for something to do. I don’t want to apple pick but people go b/c it’s what you do in the fall. Going to a Syracuse game, should be on the list of things or options if marketed right. “Get to the dome, bring your kids to the quad, get their faces painted while dad checks out the cheerleaders and mom wishes she was in her 20’s again watching the college guys walk by”. The larger capital district has a huge amount of people living in the area that didn’t grow up there. They don’t know anything about the carrier dome. Marketing can give them something they go and do 1-2 times a year. Those are the people you need to start getting to get closer to filling the dome regularly.

one thing all the streaming has done is give people so many tv choices that ball games are an after thought to the casual fan.. If you grew up into the 80s with a few channels sat/sun there were 3-4 tv choices and one was football and sometimes 2. You may not have been a fan but sat afternoon tv was fball, a movie rerun, and maybe wide world of sport.. SU was seldom on for most of us as kids but fball was a thing.

Now you can avoid sports with 200 options so many casual fans are gone.

-- Buffalo, doesn't care about SU. More focused on their own pro teams.

-- Southern Tier, east of Elmira, doesn't care about SU, seem to be more Pittsburgh oriented.

-- Rochester, strong SU presence.

Of course, that's a generalization. I get that there are pockets of fans / outliers everywhere. But that seems to be the breakdown that I've observed.
You mean West of Elmira

Probably more Penn State along the border

Broome County is a VG Cuse market

Utica/Rome and North Country are strong Cuse territories too.

Dies off east of Herkimer though

You mean West of Elmira

In Broome County 1 Syracuse 2 ND 3 PSU In that order .

The lowest price on Ticketmaster is up to $19-$20 now, compared to around $14-$15 early in the week. I guess thats a good sign
Yep, and with the military ticket thing I think the crowd will be a little bigger then people are expecting . A few have said similar to WMU…. I don’t think so .

You mean West of Elmira

That's right -- west. Duh. SU is big in the triple cities.

Seems like some positive movement, definitely not 40K+ but some seats are moving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom