Arrrrrgh! | Syracusefan.com

Arrrrrgh!

Flora'cuse

Scout Team
This just continues to look bad. I mean ... I MEAN ... Can't we have one season without controversy?

If we ('cuse fans) were on the outside looking in, and this was any other school, we would be giving them a rash of .

We need to send Lance Armstrong, Oprah and Te’o a thank you for taking some of the spotlight off of The 'Cuse, but come on man, we need to clean up a little.

This just continues to look bad. I mean ... I MEAN ... Can't we have one season without controversy?

If we ('cuse fans) were on the outside looking in, and this was any other school, we would be giving them a rash of .

We need to send Lance Armstrong, Oprah and Te’o a thank you for taking some of the spotlight off of The 'Cuse, but come on man, we need to clean up a little.

There really is no spotlight unless this is much bigger than James. One player being ruled academically ineligible or cheating on a paper or exam really isn't spotlight material.

I think the days of believing that SU's program is lilly white and pure as the driven snow exist only in the most ardent supporters fantasies.

I think the days of believing that any program is lilly white and pure as the driven snow exist only in the most ardent supporters fantasies.
fixed it for you

There really is no spotlight unless this is much bigger than James. One player being ruled academically ineligible or cheating on a paper or exam really isn't spotlight material.

Yeah, it just happened to Whittington at Gtown; no one here is really talking about it. It's basically a 3 sentence news item on ESPN.

rustic_pirate.jpg

This is very difficult and humbling. It seems that some part of many sports fans' psyches is the demonization of other teams. What we are learning (over and over and over) is that our teams, players, coaches are imperfect. It's the pure example of people who live in glass houses...

If we enjoy taunting, we must prepare to be taunted.

What if fans, upon hearing that other teams/players are having troubles, wished them well, and then went on with the business of figuring out match ups and skills, x's and o's, etc.? I know it would be a big shift in consciousness, but it might help us be better prepared when the spotlight inevitably swings back to us again. Let's not delight in other people's woes.

I have feelings about this, as we all do. Frustration, embarrassment, anger, etc. How do I manage my feelings so that I can be the best fan I can be, and not let this get me down? First, I wish Southerland well. I know he is suffering. Maybe I'll write him a letter. I've been known to do that. Next, I let my mind switch over to the many interesting possibilities his absence puts forward. I trust that Boeheim and the other coaches are doing this as well, and much much better than I can. (But it's still fun to think about!) I expect to lose some games. This becomes (yet another) story of overcoming adversity. Will our team be able to do it? I hope so!

It's difficult to be non-defensive. Sports is part of tribalism, and I am as tribal as the next person! I see all of us on this board trying to figure things out, and this is a place where we can (mostly) come to try to talk these things through and support one another. I am glad for this place and this space!

I think the days of believing that SU's program is lilly white and pure as the driven snow exist only in the most ardent supporters fantasies.

So everyone is doing it and it's part of the culture and if you want to compete you have to do this ... ... ... is everyone’s attitude? Sounds like the Lance Armstrong interview. Tell Bernie and Fab I said hi!

So everyone is doing it and it's part of the culture and if you want to compete you have to do this ... ... ... is everyone’s attitude? Sounds like the Lance Armstrong interview. Tell Bernie and Fab I said hi!

I don't think he said anything of the sort. He simply implied that we need to be realistic in our views of the program.

He made no mention of whether he felt it is right or wrong.

If one player cheated, the NCAA will turn over every rock in the place sniffing for something. No program is so clean that they can't find something if they want to. If they can't get a program for some wrong they think went on they will continue to hassle you until they can get you for something else. Kind of like the feds when they can't get an organized crime boss for murder but manage to get him for tax evasion.

I don't think he said anything of the sort. He simply implied that we need to be realistic in our views of the program.

He made not mention of whether he felt it is right or wrong.

In fact I think it sucks, but in my view college athletics is no longer about student athletes...it is about pre-professional (maybe) athletes being made to masquerade as students to allow the NCAA and big time Colleges and Universities to chase the big money attached to minor league football and minor league basketball.

We started down the slippery slope when schools first started looking for ways to admit student athletes that could not otherwise gain admission to the institutions that were recruiting them and we have plunged down the slope and over the precipice from there. Where exactly did we go over? I'm not sure, some changes were good or beneficial, others not so much.

He made no mention of whether he felt it is right or wrong.

It's not the 1 thing that's so annoying, it's the every year (lately) there's something. I would like a year where the biggest thing we have is whether or not a player is overrated. Ah yes, those were the days my friend.

relax. James will miss a few games but he will be back on the court before the end of the month. by mid February, this will be as forgotten as the MCW Lord & Taylor "scandal."

the hand wringers will certainly find something else to fret over, though, of that I am sure.

. . . this will be as forgotten as the MCW Lord & Taylor "scandal." . . .

Does MCW have to count those in his season totals? Possession, oh turnover . . . (too soon?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom