As a fan I've finally figured out what this season feels like to me | Syracusefan.com

As a fan I've finally figured out what this season feels like to me

Zepharus

Starter
I have had this very guttural feeling when watch SU get shellacked by teams this year and I have struggled to describe where I have felt it before. I woke up this morning with clarity and I nailed it.

Remember back when you lost your first love? Might be your first or the one that got away. I remember distinctly being head over heels for my beautiful, caring, and to me perfect, high school girlfriend. She was a year behind me and dumped me the first semester in college for another guy. I remember just sitting there and feeling gut punched, sadness and despair at the time. I was crushed.

While not quite as powerful, I feel many of the same sensations now. SU hoops is what I live for from Nov to March. While we have had some rough teams, nothing has felt like this. This team is toast and the future looks incredibly bleak. Ive been on the board long enough now to notice a pattern. You have 3 groups.. the JB haters that simply want him out, the JB apologists that defend him at all costs, and what I call the realist fans that love SU hoops but see what is happening in real time with minimal orange colored glasses, The frightening part is as I read on, these 3 groups are converging to a similar view. This is how I know the time is close.

Very depressing times as an Cuse fan.

I have had this very guttural feeling when watch SU get shellacked by teams this year and I have struggled to describe where I have felt it before. I woke up this morning with clarity and I nailed it.

Remember back when you lost your first love? Might be your first or the one that got away. I remember distinctly being head over heels for my beautiful, caring, and to me perfect, high school girlfriend. She was a year behind me and dumped me the first semester in college for another guy. I remember just sitting there and feeling gut punched, sadness and despair at the time. I was crushed.

While not quite as powerful, I feel many of the same sensations now. SU hoops is what I live for from Nov to March. While we have had some rough teams, nothing has felt like this. This team is toast and the future looks incredibly bleak. Ive been on the board long enough now to notice a pattern. You have 3 groups.. the JB haters that simply want him out, the JB apologists that defend him at all costs, and what I call the realist fans that love SU hoops but see what is happening in real time with minimal orange colored glasses, The frightening part is as I read on, these 3 groups are converging to a similar view. This is how I know the time is close.

If it makes you feel better my high school sweetheart and I also split upon my departure to college and she then married one of my grade school friends. I've been with my beautiful wife 30 years now and I see pictures of my HS ex and she is not attractive physically and also her conduct per stories I hear . The thought of having remained with her makes the hair on my neck stand up. creepy. Jim, please break up with me. I'm ready.

"met my old lover in a grocery. the food was totaled up and bagged. we bought a 6 pack at the liquor store"...and she threw up on my new leather seats.
that's what this season feels like to me.
(auld lang syne thank you mr. fogelberg)

Some of you just need to be hardened as a sports fan. My favourite team of all time was and will always be the Montreal Expos.

From poor ownership starting from 1990-onwards. budget spending, loss of all stars for nothing, the 1994 strike when we were the best team in baseball.

This lead to apathy - most games not on TV towards the end. 22 Home games moved to Puerto Rico. Jeffrey Loria and Bud Selig bending the remaining fanbase over. People looking down at me as a fan as if it was my fault -- I was hardcore to the end, showing more loyalty and had to work harder as a fan to follow them.

Finally the agony ended in 2004 when the team moved.

Being a Syracuse Orange fan is not that bad in retrospect.

I'm going to write you a script for Lexapro... take one daily and message me at the end of the season. You will get through this..

I'm going to write you a script for Lexapro... take one daily and message me at the end of the season. You will get through this..
those sexual side effects tho...

You had me at 'remember'... ;)

I love Cuse hoops and rarely miss a game, miss a post game show, miss a day from posting here, miss a day talking about it in depth, but I can honestly say that a loss has never upset me where it affects my every day life or feelings.

When they win I can get on cloud 9 but a loss, oh well, life goes on. It's a game played by kids and win or lose it eats up enough of my time as it is, I'm not going to let it put me in a funk.

I wish I could be a fly on the wall in practice. JB is saying we have been having good practices. It'd be interesting to see if the team's energy at the very least is different in the Melo Center. I'm not taking any stock is saying our zone looks good in practice. Anyone can stop our offense but I wonder if we look like a team in practice.

I also wonder if JB looks engaged in practice and how the team reacts to Hop, who has run our practices in the past.

Last edited:

Far more romantic than where I thought you were headed.

This feels like landing a date with the hottest, most incredible girl in HS, then you show up at her house, the door opens and you get mauled by a renegade biker group that takes your wallet and removes a kidney without surgery.

That's what it feels like.

Some of you just need to be hardened as a sports fan. My favourite team of all time was and will always be the Montreal Expos.

From poor ownership starting from 1990-onwards. budget spending, loss of all stars for nothing, the 1994 strike when we were the best team in baseball.

This lead to apathy - most games not on TV towards the end. 22 Home games moved to Puerto Rico. Jeffrey Loria and Bud Selig bending the remaining fanbase over. People looking down at me as a fan as if it was my fault -- I was hardcore to the end, showing more loyalty and had to work harder as a fan to follow them.

Finally the agony ended in 2004 when the team moved.

Being a Syracuse Orange fan is not that bad in retrospect.

Most of us are Syracuse football fans as well. We're pretty hardened to failure.

To me it's like watching the movie Groundhog Day.
Then there's hope!

Because didn't he finally learn after a 1000 or so Ground Hog days??

Zepharus, I appreciate your candor. I feel similarly gobsmacked because I, too, have lived for SU bball, so much so that when it is over for the year, I do my darnedest not to wish away the time in between until the next season but it's always there . . in my mind. This year I retired. I traveled like a maniac from April until November, and then got set for a new season. SMACK IN FACE. Election. SMACK IN FACE. I feel at a loss. I don't work as a therapist any more. Who am I? As the Borg might say, what is my designation? Flacusian mentioned Lexapro. I actually wrote a post earlier where I wrote that I might take Lexapro and then deleted it because I thought it was too melodramatic. Ha ha ha! Oh, Mylanta.

And getting kicked in the teeth by your first love? Yeah, that's apt.

It helps me to talk about it, even though I feel a little foolish.

This feels like landing a date with the hottest, most incredible girl in HS, then you show up at her house, the door opens and you get mauled by a renegade biker group that takes your wallet and removes a kidney without surgery.

I was just logging off and read this and laughed for about 30 seconds! That was priceless.

If nothing else, this season promises to produce many more bizarrely entertaining threads like this one.

To me it's like watching the movie Groundhog Day.

BING!

IMG_6293.JPG

This feels like landing a date with the hottest, most incredible girl in HS, then you show up at her house, only to find out two weeks later that she had "The Herp".

Fixed it for ya

Ever been punched square in the go-nads?

That's what I feel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom