As Syracuse transitions to mobile ticketing, some fans feel left behind | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

As Syracuse transitions to mobile ticketing, some fans feel left behind

What’s going to happen to the scalping scene on Marshall Street?
I think NYS law requires SU give fans the ability to transfer tickets electronically to someone else.

The move to paperless will drive scalping completely paperless. Stubhub and its competitors are already better than scalpers but with increased traffic, maybe their fees, which I think are excessive for what amounts to a few seconds of usage on a web site, will end up greatly reduced.

I really did not want to go there but you got it. For whatever reason some folks due to a wide variety of reasons can't use a normal source of electronic payments as they do not have access to a bank or credit card. Not all fans that enjoy going to events have the ability to pay for anything if not using good old cash.Mobile ticketing cuts these folks out when wanting to buy tickets. Just go to any Walmart and watch people buying money orders to pay common bills or stop by a check cashing service on payday. And it brings us back to the original question why would anyone want to make it harder for their customers to buy tickets.
A. Perhaps anyone in that kind of financial situation should prioritize differently, and spend the money on their needs rather than a major college football game.
B. There is no way the university would turn someone away. They will make it possible for someone who does not have the mobile means to buy tickets and attend. I have heard that directly from someone’s pie hole.

A. Perhaps anyone in that kind of financial situation should prioritize differently, and spend the money on their needs rather than a major college football game.
B. There is no way the university would turn someone away. They will make it possible for someone who does not have the mobile means to buy tickets and attend. I have heard that directly from someone’s pie hole.

It’s not always financial priorities. I have season tix for basketball. I live in Virginia and go to 1–2 home games a year. I give my tickets to my 76-year-old mother who goes to some games and then gives (not sells) the rest to waitresses at the diner where she eats breakfast, friends, relatives, etc. My mother could afford (or I could give her) a smart phone but she’s uncomfortable with how complicated they are to her. Maybe that’s dumb, but that’s the reality. As a 23-year season ticket holder, SU has made my life harder because I’m going to have to figure out how to make this work.

It’s not always financial priorities. I have season tix for basketball. I live in Virginia and go to 1–2 home games a year. I give my tickets to my 76-year-old mother who goes to some games and then gives (not sells) the rest to waitresses at the diner where she eats breakfast, friends, relatives, etc. My mother could afford (or I could give her) a smart phone but she’s uncomfortable with how complicated they are to her. Maybe that’s dumb, but that’s the reality. As a 23-year season ticket holder, SU has made my life harder because I’m going to have to figure out how to make this work.

You have Nats seasons right? Isn't it basically the same thing?

This is all about control so yes they are specifically targeting those guys. None of them make that much. They want to give you 5 bucks for an extra and sell it to someone else for 20. When you are running late and there is a 20 minute wait at the box office because they are only paying one person to handle walk up sales you’ll miss those guys.

Attendance was trending down before covid. It’s gonna be clear very soon after it that our venues are simply too big. Supply and demand economics will make it tough for all teams to get top dollar anymore because there will be so many empties. Again this is just really stupid. Teams should be trying to get someone with 2 season tickets to take 4 for marginally more money and making it easier than ever for them to shift the extras around. Get people in there to buy beer and popcorn.

This is kind of gross. My father isn't old but he's knocking on that door. He doesn't pay any of his utilities online. He does it at a check cashing place. I had to teach him how to do the electronic ticket process on his phone in the event he doesn't get a hard copy. Between setting up Ticketmaster accounts with a password and making sure you have WiFi/mobile data and enough power, some people just don't want to deal with it and prefer the convenience of paper.

This is kind of gross. My father isn't old but he's knocking on that door. He doesn't pay any of his utilities online. He does it at a check cashing place. I had to teach him how to do the electronic ticket process on his phone in the event he doesn't get a hard copy. Between setting up Ticketmaster accounts with a password and making sure you have WiFi/mobile data and enough power, some people just don't want to deal with it and prefer the convenience of paper.
That is a scenario I understand. I took the original comment as talking about a person who was financially burdened, i.e. “ does not have access to a bank or credit card”. I may have read that post too vaguely.
that said, I feel that this is 100% moot, because the university will not leave them behind. At the very least, it will roll out slowly much like the clear bag initiative.

You have Nats seasons right? Isn't it basically the same thing?

I gave up my Nats season tix (kids too busy to go). The difference is that the primary game-goer when I had Nats tix wasn’t my 76-year-old mother who can’t even figure out how to use the camera on the iPad I gave her.

And the other thing is that when I had Nats tix (as recently as 2018), I could send the tix by email and the recipient could print them off and use them. I think SU is requiring a recipient to have an SUAD account in order to even receive the tickets.

Will the ushers at the Section entrances have scanners to read the e-ticket? If not, it's going to be a goat rope!
This is actually a really good point. There are too man bottle necks at section entrances. Beginning in football 2021, Id rather they stop checking every section every time but rather, spot checks, pick a handful of sections a week so people cant plan for it, and then just rely on people to report when a row is overcrowded.

I gave up my Nats season tix (kids too busy to go). The difference is that the primary game-goer when I had Nats tix wasn’t my 76-year-old mother who can’t even figure out how to use the camera on the iPad I gave her.

And the other thing is that when I had Nats tix (as recently as 2018), I could send the tix by email and the recipient could print them off and use them. I think SU is requiring a recipient to have an SUAD account in order to even receive the tickets.

The Nats made it pretty cumbersome in that they (and by "they" MLB) really pushed everyone to getting the MLB app to make the ticket thing easier. For giving tickets outside the app I think I had to download and email for someone to print out.

I remember the days when you had to meet someone 20 minutes away in a WEGMANS parking lot to exchange tickets. I don’t miss having that be the only option.

The Nats made it pretty cumbersome in that they (and by "they" MLB) really pushed everyone to getting the MLB app to make the ticket thing easier. For giving tickets outside the app I think I had to download and email for someone to print out.
Right, but that’s easy. I could email all of my SU tickets to myself and then print them off to send to my mother. I’ve done that with Nats tix in the past.

What happens if I get in the building, but then my phone dies? How to I prove to the dude checking at each section?
If you are a season tickets holder they usually remember you by game 2 is my experience. You can also take a picture of your ticket as can your wife and kids(if they have a phone also). Which is no different than giving them a paper ticket. You can literally do that in seconds. You can also if you want to probably take a picture of it at home and then print it for just in case. There are options...also I am sure you already have a car charger. Fully charge your phone before going?

Most of these guys that you see on the street are actually quite clever and they will find a way to make things work. Sure some will be left behind but my guess is that you will still see them on Marshall st before a game.

I would expect to see fewer of them though and that will have an impact on some SU fans. As it stands now when many fans have extra tickets they simply sell them off to these guys for some pocket change before the games or events and without as many of them buying many people will simply walk in with them on their phones. Sure stub hub is an option however that platform usually stops selling hours before an event.

There is always the craigslist option but as more and more get burned by CL sellers scamming people by taking electronic payments and never deserving the link to the tickets . You are going to find many more scams going forward

If you are a season tickets holder they usually remember you by game 2 is my experience. You can also take a picture of your ticket as can your wife and kids(if they have a phone also). Which is no different than giving them a paper ticket. You can literally do that in seconds. You can also if you want to probably take a picture of it at home and then print it for just in case. There are options...also I am sure you already have a car charger. Fully charge your phone before going?

If the phone is dead you cant access the picture to take a picture of it.

I guess my point is, while the above are potential solutions, there need to be charging stations, and STRONG wifi, both outside the gates and inside the dome, if they are going to rely so much on electronic tickets

Can one person have like 3 tickets on their app/account and be the designated scanner and walk in with a group? Or does each person need to be scanned in individually when entering the Dome?

Can one person have like 3 tickets on their app/account and be the designated scanner and walk in with a group? Or does each person need to be scanned in individually when entering the Dome?
I scan for my family of 3. I do this to enter and also for club44. They are pretty accommodating to us (particularly early on as I figured out the app was a piece of trash and I had not yet pre loaded the tickets into my Apple wallet)

now I preload my tickets into apple wallet and it’s as easy as getting on a plane

one gripe is there should be a way to add all tickets at once. Having to individually load 4 tickets and 4 club44 passes into the Apple wallet is obnoxious (but once it’s done, using them is a breeze)

That’s my concern. I love to go in early to watch warmups so what happens if I give my extra two tickets to a friend who does not have a My Cuse? I am much less likely to invite friends if they don’t have an account.

the issue will be when groups come together but dont want to enter together.. My wife doesnt want to bother bringing a phone in or her purse , but like others say I go in early to watch stuff, she likes to hang outside and watch the band and my kid is wondering all over looking for friends.. now i have to transfer tickets to him which is a hastle but Ok. but no way for my wife to enter unless she does bring a phone.

And if the decision for a larger group is to split up after they leave for the game its even harder.. how often do tickets change hand at the tailgates? When we used to have family taligates at Manley people were always looking and giving away tickets.. that wont be easy now.

Its one thing to transfer tickets among people you know but know you have to actually give people real info to get it done.

And go back to the original issue they say they are stopping is the scamming.. Dont buy tickets without looking them over, dont but printed paper tickets from people you dont know, dont buy on craigslist. It was not an issue other than Clemson every other year for football. a couple times for bball in a good yr.

Last edited:
That’s my concern. I love to go in early to watch warmups so what happens if I give my extra two tickets to a friend who does not have a My Cuse? I am much less likely to invite friends if they don’t have an account.

Reads like they are pushing people into getting a My Cuse account? I keep harping on this but MLB does the exact same thing.

why would a whole family have/want a mycuse acct? 10yr kids too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom