As Syracuse transitions to mobile ticketing, some fans feel left behind | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

As Syracuse transitions to mobile ticketing, some fans feel left behind

One has to wonder why SU would make it harder for fans to buy tickets. Some people simply do not choose to have a smartphone or are even comfortable using technology. Instead of offering these fans the option to use paper tickets they are just saying f... you to a portion of the fanbase. Not the best customer service IMO.
Yeah this is a frigid take. It’s 2020, I know 80+ year olds with iPhones.

I know them too, but most of them only know how to use it like a traditional phone.

I'm someone in my 40's that has a smartphone only because it's basically all you can get now. I don't live on it like most in my and younger generations do. If I were still living in CNY and had my season tickets I'd prefer to leave the phone in my car during games, but I know I'm in the minority.

And I know 60 year olds that simply refuse to have a cell phone. My point is why leave out any fans from buying tickets you would think that they would bend over backwards to have their product available for everyone.

Choice is the key here give the customers what they want.

And I know 60 year olds that simply refuse to have a cell phone. My point is why leave out any fans from buying tickets you would think that they would bend over backwards to have their product available for everyone.

Choice is the key here give the customers what they want.

The customers want seating upgrades, discounts on concessions, gameday notices. The client wants their customers in a closed looped database.

SU isn't splitting the atom, this is going on everywhere. (well it would be if we had things to go to)

The customers want seating upgrades, discounts on concessions, gameday notices. The client wants their customers in a closed looped database.

You definitely got half of that right.

The first, though...do they? That'd be an interesting poll. Anecdotally, I'm not sure customers do want any of that, and I question how the service provider came to that conclusion. I for one don't appreciate the frequent calls from the 315-443- number (that I always ignore), or the clutter in my inbox, or generally any of that stuff. I want to trade $1,000 for two basketball tickets, some dirt-cheap price for three football tickets, and be done with it. Maybe that's a minority opinion, but I'm skeptical.
That's been a strong part of my point all along: this is an imbalanced customer/provider relationship; all the benefit accrues to SU, and it's weird that put-upon customers (who are usually quick to criticize SU over all sorts of perceived slights) would defend them.

You definitely got half of that right.

The first, though...do they? That'd be an interesting poll. Anecdotally, I'm not sure customers do want any of that, and I question how the service provider came to that conclusion. I for one don't appreciate the frequent calls from the 315-443- number (that I always ignore), or the clutter in my inbox, or generally any of that stuff. I want to trade $1,000 for two basketball tickets, some dirt-cheap price for three football tickets, and be done with it. Maybe that's a minority opinion, but I'm skeptical.
That's been a strong part of my point all along: this is an imbalanced customer/provider relationship; all the benefit accrues to SU, and it's weird that put-upon customers (who are usually quick to criticize SU over all sorts of perceived slights) would defend them.

I get it for baseball. Different animal sure, but it's not an email or txt, just pops up on the app. Some days maybe you want a change or scenery, better view, whatever. Click on it (pay the difference) and go. Food, beverage is all electronic, moves much faster.

I guess my bigger point is we aren't an outlier, this stuff is becoming / is commonplace. Syracuse isn't going to pass on ways to make extra revenue in relation to our peers (esp since we are behind as is) because some guy doesn't want to carry a phone.

Syracuse isn't going to pass on ways to make extra revenue in relation to our peers (esp since we are behind as is) because some guy doesn't want to carry a phone.

I know, but that's one of the gripes we're highlighting: service providers are expected to meet customers where they are, not ask more of them.

It's cool, SU will do what it wants and its old customers will react as they see fit.

I know, but that's one of the gripes we're highlighting: service providers are expected to meet customers where they are, not ask more of them.

It's cool, SU will do what it wants and its old customers will react as they see fit.

Understood. When I was notified on my ticket switch my group kicked and screamed, pointed emails to our sales rep, all of it.

Then on the other side we found a lot of conveniences.

Didn't the Bills do a season ticket card that you could just stick in your wallet? Making that an option could be very helpful.

Cornell went with a combo model.. You got a credit card type thing that had a QR code on it for scanning. Great you stick it in your wallet or on a Landyard and walk in.. but you also could transfer any single game ticket vie email to friends/family/friends and it could be scanned or printed as needed..

So then a card that cost pennies to print and no real tickets generated, no app required as well, no phone has to go to a game either. And if you come with 5 people just hand the cards out as needed if they need to enter separately. if you dont trust someone with a card send them an email QR code.

Cornell went with a combo model.. You got a credit card type thing that had a QR code on it for scanning. Great you stick it in your wallet or on a Landyard and walk in.. but you also could transfer any single game ticket vie email to friends/family/friends and it could be scanned or printed as needed..

So then a card that cost pennies to print and no real tickets generated, no app required as well, no phone has to go to a game either. And if you come with 5 people just hand the cards out as needed if they need to enter separately. if you dont trust someone with a card send them an email QR code.
Common sense solutions are good.

I keep harping on my experience - the Nats did the card thing (it was cool) but discontinued it after maybe two seasons. Easier than fiddling with a phone, but never knew how much money was actually on it.

The Cornell card was just a card for entry. no money involved at all for buying stuff.

Some pro teams do this card thing. Some even let you earn "points" when you swipe it during concession and gear purchases.

Some people have to bitch about EVERYTHING. They give you a smartphone FOR FREE with almost every carrier plan these days. Does anyone even sell flip phones anymore?

Why are you mad?

Some people have to bitch about EVERYTHING. They give you a smartphone FOR FREE with almost every carrier plan these days. Does anyone even sell flip phones anymore?
Of course they do. They more than recoup the cost with the fee they charge for having a smart phone on your plan.

A CIO once told me I don’t want to be the first on new technology buy I don’t want to be the last either. As Bayside indicated Syracuse is just catching up with the times. That said I am confused. I saw in two places quotes from the university stating clearly that fans without phones can call and they will work with you. So those w/o phones should be fine. They are not going to make ya get a phone when ya call them. So what is the issue? For those with no phones, have you actually called the Dome box office and inquired about how they will help you?

A CIO once told me I don’t want to be the first on new technology buy I don’t want to be the last either. As Bayside indicated Syracuse is just catching up with the times. That said I am confused. I saw in two places quotes from the university stating clearly that fans without phones can call and they will work with you. So those w/o phones should be fine. They are not going to make ya get a phone when ya call them. So what is the issue? For those with no phones, have you actually called the Dome box office and inquired about how they will help you?

80% of Americans have smart phones. It's probably a good deal higher with the ticket buying public. A lot of the gripes (mine formally included) have to do with not actually wanting to use the phone.

80% of Americans have smart phones. It's probably a good deal higher with the ticket buying public. A lot of the gripes (mine formally included) have to do with not actually wanting to use the phone.
Gotcha. I wonder if people who don't actually want to use their phone can just call the dome box office and just say they don't have a smart phone? I would think you could. The funny thing is if enough people do that just maybe some people up at SU will be like "screw it...offer paper tickets or app at time of purchase".

My uninformed guess is that you'll have to go to the will call window and they can make arrangements for your party there.

Here's the rub: Will call is located at Gate B. If you're arriving by shuttle bus, Gate B is about as far away from the shuttle stop as you can get. You'll have to walk all the way around the outside of the Dome and up the stairs to get there.

And who are the people who would be most likely to take the walk ... Senior Citizens without smartphones.

Maybe they'll set up something at one of the gates nearest the Quad?

My uninformed guess is that you'll have to go to the will call window and they can make arrangements for your party there.

Here's the rub: Will call is located at Gate B. If you're arriving by shuttle bus, Gate B is about as far away from the shuttle stop as you can get. You'll have to walk all the way around the outside of the Dome and up the stairs to get there.

And who are the people who would be most likely to take the walk ... Senior Citizens without smartphones.

Maybe they'll set up something at one of the gates nearest the Quad?
Possibly...makes sense. If you don't have a smartphone my guess would be when you call for seasons, they will accommodate for the season. For one off games, will call definitely. For seasons perhaps paper tickets, tickets printable via email or something to that effect maybe?

Gotcha. I wonder if people who don't actually want to use their phone can just call the dome box office and just say they don't have a smart phone? I would think you could. The funny thing is if enough people do that just maybe some people up at SU will be like "screw it...offer paper tickets or app at time of purchase".

My experience was no. Granted it's MLB but at some point carrying a phone is the same as carrying a wallet.

Bingo !!

There you go offer those people the option for paper tickets should they choose.
My guess is that once people see the long slow lines to get in due to overcrowded internet access even more people will choose to go paper.

Just find someone to tried to bring up a mobile ticket at Lakeview amp last summer and were very frustrated by not getting a signal.

Bingo !!

There you go offer those people the option for paper tickets should they choose.
My guess is that once people see the long slow lines to get in due to overcrowded internet access even more people will choose to go paper.

Just find someone to tried to bring up a mobile ticket at Lakeview amp last summer and were very frustrated by not getting a signal.

When you get your season tickets download them to your wallet. Done and done. We're no different than the rest of the world making this transition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom