As Syracuse transitions to mobile ticketing, some fans feel left behind | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

As Syracuse transitions to mobile ticketing, some fans feel left behind

So I reached out to my season tickets rep for some info to help those who have not reached out and to tee up some general questions. As follows:
1). The dome is getting upgraded Carrier Service as part of the overall project. So data and voice should be better than before.
4). She indicated you can download to your phone or screen shot the tickets to your phone. NOTE: She highly recommends doing that while at home again perhaps the day before so if there is an issue they can help. Make sure the screenshot has the QR code in it.

1. That is like saying the fat 330 lb guy looks great now at 315 ... he is still a fat guy. Saying that the data connections are better than before can be a problem in the making.

4. If fans can actually use a screenshot of their tickets that would be nice , rumor has it that can't be done anymore due to random barcodes... lets hope that the ticket rep was not wrong in her answer.

So I reached out to my season tickets rep for some info to help those who have not reached out and to tee up some general questions. As follows:
1). The dome is getting upgraded Carrier Service as part of the overall project. So data and voice should be better than before.
2). At this time there are no plans for charging stations.
3). My rep indicated that if you don't have a phone there is a will call option to get your tickets. (Perhaps you get your tickets the day before when there is less traffic).
4). She indicated you can download to your phone or screen shot the tickets to your phone. NOTE: She highly recommends doing that while at home again perhaps the day before so if there is an issue they can help. Make sure the screenshot has the QR code in it.
5). If you have a problem game day she indicated just go to the dome box office and they will assist you.
6). If phone is out of power or lost or not working just go to the box office. NOTE: YOU MUST HAVE YOUR ID WITH YOU.

If you are not sensing it there is clearly a over arching tone of if you need help just call us or come to the box office. They are very willing to help and will help. That's it folks. Hopefully this alleviates some people's concerns. Cheers!
Should be interesting when all those fans with problems converge on the box office.

Should be interesting when all those fans with problems converge on the box office.
Well that could happen if all SU fans act helpless and like a bunch of 5 year olds getting their tickets. (Shrugging) You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

glad we're getting this sorted for 2025 or whenever the pandemic is over
And you will be the first one looking at this thread again when it comes time to go back. It's ok, we won't judge.

Jesus, Matt. Not your finest work.

If you can't afford a phone when most plans give them away for free, then spending $100 to go to a game probably isn't the best use of your limited resources.

If you can't afford a phone when most plans give them away for free, then spending $100 to go to a game probably isn't the best use of your limited resources.
You miss the point that some people do not want a data plan at any price, or a smart phone, and they see no logical reason to add that expense simply because of SU sports. I doubt many people who are impoverished buy SU tickets.

But there were a good chunk of people who used to go to the games without a ticket and look for deals. you could almost always find cheap ways to get in..

Movie theatres did much the same thing if you bought their special plans. had to show up with a phone to show you matched the picture.. They found out alot of people dropped the plans because of it.. Our local one told me 50% gave that as the reason.. More than cost as a reason.

of course there is no more Regal so movies are gone now for many of us.

Waiting patiently for the post...

"What? Now they want me to bring my ID? This university is really telling the fans they don't care about them!"

By the way, all you charging station people have fun sitting around a plug waiting to charge your phone while we enjoy the game. I assume thats how it would work right? Randomly placed around the Dome? You don't think there will be thousands of them, or at each seat, right?

You miss the point that some people do not want a data plan at any price, or a smart phone, and they see no logical reason to add that expense simply because of SU sports. I doubt many people who are impoverished buy SU tickets.

It's a movement to no contact, no cash. Which was happening to sports teams before COVID and will jump to the front of the line moreseo now.

It's a movement to no contact, no cash. Which was happening to sports teams before COVID and will jump to the front of the line moreseo now.
Unpopular Opinion Warning:
Mobile ticketing has its supporter$. The facility can cut labor costs by having robots scan people in. App providers can extract more revenue from users. Data miners will be able to vacuum up additional personal data. And (for their own reasons) some people want to use their phones to send texts, check scores or balance their checkbook. That's the world we live in. But making mobile ticketing mandatory across the board is a pigeon hole many fans don't want to be shoved into, at a time when the U needs all the support it can muster. Yes, some of the dissenters are boomers ... the ones who've been supporting the U for decades. But plenty of others are young and/or perfectly tech-savvy fans who appreciate spending a few hours unplugged. They relish the down time, without phone calls or concerns about the wifi signal, problems with PW's, updates, log-ins, location services, charging problems or violations of their personal privacy. The fact is, not only is it okay to be free from the 'device imperative', but paper tickets work just fine. Printing costs are nominal. Attendants, who hold local jobs, enhance the game experience by answering questions and providing friendly, familiar faces at the gate. Paper tickets are also scam-resistant and include 'no contact' bar codes. Unlike e-tickets, they put people back at the center of ticketing policy, where they belong. So ... call us Luddites, 'old school', out of it, left behind, whatever. We'll happily pay extra for printing so we can unplug, save the memento and enjoy THE GAME. :)

Last edited:
But there were a good chunk of people who used to go to the games without a ticket and look for deals. you could almost always find cheap ways to get in..

Exactly plenty of fans would show up outside the gate looking for a great deal on an extra ticket. Yes those seats are sold through the university first then resold usually at a lost to willing ticket buyers. Try getting a signal now to make that transfer. Just ask anyone who tried to do that on a very limited basis at Lakeview Amp in 2019 they simply could not get s signal and ended up going into the venue with tickets on their phone. People would of bought the extra tickets if they only could of like a hard ticket, hand it over to someone and bingo the deal is done.

Cell phones is how they gets ya.

"What? Now they want me to bring my ID? This university is really telling the fans they don't care about them!"

By the way, all you charging station people have fun sitting around a plug waiting to charge your phone while we enjoy the game. I assume thats how it would work right? Randomly placed around the Dome? You don't think there will be thousands of them, or at each seat, right?
could put one outside each gate and maybe 1 on each level, since at every seat area having electrical seems like it would be more expensive

Having a smartphone and data plan is a pre-requisite to go to SU games moving forward. So, either get a phone and a plan or don't go to games. But to expect the University to change because you don't like the pre-requisite is silly. Going to SU games isn't a god-given right. It's a choice by the consumer. You know the rules going in and what is required to get into the game. Either follow their rules or don't go. I am shocked at the number of people making a stink about this.

It's like being upset with a high end restaurant that requires men to wear a sports coat or a suit to dine there. You know what it is required going in, do it or don't but don't complain.

you don't need a full charge and most phones and chargers now do fast charging. If my phone is at 10% all I need it at is 35% which would take a few minutes, not all afternoon. LOL

you don't need a full charge and most phones and chargers now do fast charging. If my phone is at 10% all I need it at is 35% which would take a few minutes, not all afternoon. LOL
For a school that has a problem getting fans to games, this just gives people another reason not to go.

For a school that has a problem getting fans to games, this just gives people another reason not to go.

Please.

If THIS is the reason somebody doesn’t go to a game, then they really did not want to go all that badly in the first place.

How many times just up-thread has it been stated that the ticket office will happily work with that small number of Luddites for whom this is some Sisyphean task. :rolleyes:

His point is "how many thousands of people do you think will want to do the same thing?" - especially for those stat watchers during the game. All their phones are going to need some juice at halftime.

Having a smartphone and data plan is a pre-requisite to go to SU games moving forward. So, either get a phone and a plan or don't go to games. But to expect the University to change because you don't like the pre-requisite is silly. Going to SU games isn't a god-given right. It's a choice by the consumer. You know the rules going in and what is required to get into the game. Either follow their rules or don't go. I am shocked at the number of people making a stink about this.

It's like being upset with a high end restaurant that requires men to wear a sports coat or a suit to dine there. You know what it is required going in, do it or don't but don't complain.
Except I already have purchased season tickets before they announced this, and they continually complain that not enough people buy tickets so make it more difficult for some people that makes all kinds of sense. Personally I will find a way but policy makes little sense.
This will be the last time I buy seasons in football and basketball anyway so I do not really care.

Except I already have purchased season tickets before they announced this, and they continually complain that not enough people buy tickets so make it more difficult for some people that makes all kinds of sense. Personally I will find a way but policy makes little sense.
This will be the last time I buy seasons in football and basketball anyway so I do not really care.
people have had season tickets since 1980 when the Dome opened before cell phones were even invented. That is a weak argument.

The University complaining about not enough people buy tickets is THEIR problem, not yours. The University has a lot of issues you can't take them all on yourself, as the kids say..."YOU DO YOU"

The question is what better for the person vs what better for the school and what happens when you do things like this. the school already was scanning tickets and if anything this makes it harder as the scanning off phones does not work as well. does it save them money ? no.. does it make things harder for the customer, in some cases yes.. does it effect a large number of people. no.. was scamming tickets a huge problem ? no.. does it give the school more data on people? yes.

for those already using the option . no effect. for those who used it sometimes. some effect. for those who never used it , big effect..

like going to an airport. some people use phones, some pre-print.. some print when they get there. 3 options. no one..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom