As Syracuse transitions to mobile ticketing, some fans feel left behind | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

As Syracuse transitions to mobile ticketing, some fans feel left behind

great you download them to your wallet then you enter with a group, then your wife tries to go to your seats after she gets food and find out the tickets are on your phone

And I know 60 year olds that simply refuse to have a cell phone.

But that isn't a fair thing to say. If people REFUSE to get a drivers license they can't complain that they can't drive a car legally. If someone REFUSES to have a smartphone then they must understand moving forward that is the only way to get into the Dome with their tickets.

Some might say that is an extreme comparison but it really isn't. If a person REFUSES to do something, then they can't complain about what they can't do because of their refusal.

there are a dozen ways to get to places without driving thats your choice.. telling someone they need $1000 phone to go to a game is not close to the same..

and i dont think its an issue of using a phone since most do have them.. its a pain in the A## that isnt really adding any value and its not saving cost for the school either.

there are a dozen ways to get to places without driving thats your choice.. telling someone they need $1000 phone to go to a game is not close to the same..

and i dont think its an issue of using a phone since most do have them.. its a pain in the A## that isnt really adding any value and its not saving cost for the school either.
Cell phones don't cost $1,000 they are FREE ( I mean if you want a high end fancy one you can spend $1,000, but you can also get FREE ones)! Literally. Sign up for a month to month plan with any provider and they give you the phone for FREE.

And trust me it is saving the school money. If it wasn't they wouldn't do it. But also in a COVID and some day POST COVID world, everything is going to be touchless so even if it doesn't save money, from a public safety and public health point of view it is the way to go.

who has a month to month plan except for trying to save money. and better phones are not free without 2 yr contracts.. still service matters and getting cheap phones and poor service doesnt help. huge areas around here where there is no service for many providers.

But that isn't a fair thing to say. If people REFUSE to get a drivers license they can't complain that they can't drive a car legally. If someone REFUSES to have a smartphone then they must understand moving forward that is the only way to get into the Dome with their tickets.

Some might say that is an extreme comparison but it really isn't. If a person REFUSES to do something, then they can't complain about what they can't do because of their refusal.

SU doesn't require a car to go to games.

There's a very logical connection between a license and a car. (BTW, though I don't know why anyone would do this, you don't even need to have a license to buy a car, just to drive one.) An electronic toy and event attendance don't share that logical relationship.

SU doesn't require a car to go to games.

There's a very logical connection between a license and a car. (BTW, though I don't know why anyone would do this, you don't even need to have a license to buy a car, just to drive one.) An electronic toy and event attendance don't share that logical relationship.
my greater point is if you REFUSE to do something you can't then complain about the things you can't do because of your refusal. As people, we adapt and change with the times or we don't, but if you don't you can't complain. If someone simply REFUSES to buy a cell phone then don't whine about not being able to go to SU games when it is a pre-requisite now with mobile ticketing and having a smartphone to get in the door. You may not like the pre-requisite, but it is one and we either adapt or don't. But to say you refuse to and still want things to work the old way, its just silly.

Just like a pre-requisite to driving a car is having a license. If you REFUSE to get a license then don't whine you can't drive. (Nothing to do about SU games with this example, just a general example).

In the near future to fly on a plan you need a passport or an enhanced license, if you REFUSE to get either, guess what you can't fly and get on a plane.

There are a million examples. The world is constantly changing and for some SU fans to think they can put up a stink just because "they don't want to change"...is silly. The new rule/world for SU (and most sports) is mobile tickets, if you want to continue to go to games get a smartphone. Or don't but if you don't, then don't whine about not being able to go to games anymore.

And you mention the logical relationship...there is one NOW! In a COVID and Post-COVID world where everything is moving to touchless, this is the new normal. Where these stadiums want you to enter the stadium with a mobile ticket and then pay for goods through apps and through your mobile device, there is a logical relationship. Other stadiums have been this way for a bit, just because SU hasn't doesn't mean this isn't already happening. It's the new world we live in. So the "logical relationship" is there.

Last edited:
Of course they do. They more than recoup the cost with the fee they charge for having a smart phone on your plan.

Well, let's just put it this way; actual useful smartphones were introduced 13 years ago.
That's like saying you were one of the people who waited 13 years before getting one of those new fangled television sets.
"They can give you cancer if you sit too close, y'know?"

Well, let's just put it this way; actual useful smartphones were introduced 13 years ago.
That's like saying you were one of the people who waited 13 years before getting one of those new fangled television sets.
"They can give you cancer if you sit too close, y'know?"
Not sure what that has to do with my comment or your comment that I responded to. None of them actually last for 13 years, so you have to replace them. I waited for forever to get one because I don't care to be constantly connected and didn't want the extra cost. I only got one when I accidentally laundered my dumb phone and only smart phones were available. I was pissed when they told me it was an extra fee for network access now that I have one. I use mine just like I used my old phone. I don't like being forced to pay for features I don't care about. I have used mine to access the internet about 5 times in the 3 years I've had mine.

My experience was no. Granted it's MLB but at some point carrying a phone is the same as carrying a wallet.
When I had season tickets I never carried my wallet to games.

Congrats, so you never bought anything inside the arena?
I can carry cash or a credit card in a pocket. No need for ID since I don't drink alcohol.

I know a lot of very smart people who dont have smart phones just because they are a huge security risk.

I know a lot of very smart people who dont have smart phones just because they are a huge security risk.

You know a lot of people walking around the Dome with the code? Really?

You know a lot of people walking around the Dome with the code? Really?
what code? cell phones have tons of personal info on them.. blue tooth is really unsecure as is wifi, apps are mostly junk if you dont stick with the big ones and there is very little security on a cell compared to your home machines.

I can carry cash or a credit card in a pocket. No need for ID since I don't drink alcohol.

Doesn't matter. Heck knows i've bought of plenty of other stuff with the app, and at discount for certain things.

Doesn't matter. Heck knows i've bought of plenty of other stuff with the app, and at discount for certain things.
I guess it doesn't to you. I prefer to not carry bulky things in my pockets, whether it be a wallet or a cell phone, especially when I'm expecting to be crammed next to other people. And having an app available ro buy things doesn't mean much to me because I go to games to watch the games. When I get there, I go to my seat and rarely leave it. I can eat before and after and buy apparel anytime.

Phones really dont like being shoved into a pocket. Not really good for the phone long term running so hot and where else do you put them once you go in?

I guess it doesn't to you. I prefer to not carry bulky things in my pockets, whether it be a wallet or a cell phone, especially when I'm expecting to be crammed next to other people. And having an app available ro buy things doesn't mean much to me because I go to games to watch the games. When I get there, I go to my seat and rarely leave it. I can eat before and after and buy apparel anytime.

Saturday night posting, ugh!

I get it. I guess my point is one gets used to this fast. I'm not a phone / app junkie myself and prefer to just watch the games.

So the University says that if this policy causes issues for you, call the ticket office and they will work with you. And no one in this thread has actually made that call? Yet we have post after post decrying what an insensitive and fan averse policy they are implementing.

I love the internet

this won’t help those without smart phones, but I believe you can screenshot barcodes and send them to potential guests as text messages. That would eliminate the issues with having to use My Cuse app?

So the University says that if this policy causes issues for you, call the ticket office and they will work with you. And no one in this thread has actually made that call? Yet we have post after post decrying what an insensitive and fan averse policy they are implementing.

I love the internet

Oh, it’s better than that!

Nobody knows if fans will be allowed to attend games AT ALL THIS SEASON.

We’re certainly not sure that by the time fans (in Syracuse) are allowed, that college football will still be happening.

Even IF and WHEN there are home games at Syracuse that happen, and some #/% of fans are allowed to attend, nobody knows WHO those fans will be, or how they will be chosen.

Only after ALL OF THE ABOVE have come to pass in a manner consistent with allowing fans to attend games, AND (generic) you happen to be among the chosen few -

IF mobile ticketing is an issue for you THEN, you can contact the Ticket Office and they will work with you.

This is like having a multiple page thread about the planning and tax issues of dealing with potential Powerball winnings, during a Zombie apocalypse. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom