As the UConn Huskies get smashed today | Syracusefan.com

As the UConn Huskies get smashed today

dasher

Hoops Inside Info Guru
vs Auburn I am reminded that some of us saw this coming and said that when the Huskies were left at the alter during realignment, they were in major trouble and would not be able to sustain their hoop program at the level that they had been. There were others here that argued with us that we were wrong. That their brand would help carry them through this. Now, my point isn't to go down memory lane about the Huskies. Screw them. Who cares. But it does carry me to another board argument and that is how badly the sanctions have hurt us. I maintain that they have hurt us a lot. And much of the problems that we see right now, are happening because of those same sanctions. The result is the team we have. And I believe that our coach has looked at this team and said what do we have on the ship that is good? And his answer is that we can become an elite defensive team. We only have at this time, three guys that we can rely on to score. As we saw last night, maybe not even that. But down the road, perhaps we can be that elite defensive team. I think it is the right bet. No offensive scheme is going to make Moyer or PC offensive threats. Marek might have potential on offense but he hasn't really showed it. That really leaves us with the three. And that really leaves us with the hope that our defense can get to that elite level as the season goes on. In any case, let's face it, we all would have signed up for 11-2 in the OCC.

I have to disagree.

Several American teams have been able to do quite well for themselves despite their fate in that conference (or a lower conference before that) - Cincinnati, SMU, Wichita St. Houston has come back from irrelevancy to become a possible tournament team this year. Temple and Tulsa have been able to get at larges out of the American in the past two years.

The point is simple - while not going to the P5 will hurt you, it does not crush you. You are blaming too much of UConn's performance on re-alignment. That is wrong - most of the blame needs to be pointed at the coaching staff which are doing an absolutely terrible job. Going to the American should have hurt but not crushed the program.

Likewise blaming our recruiting mistakes largely on sanctions, takes away accountability. No doubt that overall class ratings will suffer some because of the sanctions. But there have been many serious whiffs that you can't blame the sanctions on.

All that being said, I can't fully compare the two, because now the Syracuse coaching staff have us clearly going in the right direction, and Ollie has them going straight to the crapper.

These announcers are some of the worst I've ever heard in my entire life

I have to disagree.

Several American teams have been able to do quite well for themselves despite their fate in that conference (or a lower conference before that) - Cincinnati, SMU, Wichita St. Houston has come back from irrelevancy to become a possible tournament team this year. Temple and Tulsa have been able to get at larges out of the American in the past two years.

The point is simple - while not going to the P5 will hurt you, it does not crush you. You are blaming too much of UConn's performance on re-alignment. That is wrong - most of the blame needs to be pointed at the coaching staff which are doing an absolutely terrible job. Going to the American should have hurt but not crushed the program.

Likewise blaming our recruiting mistakes largely on sanctions, takes away accountability. No doubt that overall class ratings will suffer some because of the sanctions. But there have been many serious whiffs that you can't blame the sanctions on.

All that being said, I can't fully compare the two, because now the Syracuse coaching staff have us clearly going in the right direction, and Ollie has them going straight to the crapper.

Totally agree.. and honestly they struck gold with kemba and Napier which of course was great for them but in reality fools gold long term. Incredible individual performances that kept the obvious weaknesses out of plain sight until the first year post Napier. Now you see Ollie has brought in guys he thinks could be kemba and Napier 2.0... it just doesn't work like that.

I have to disagree.

Lots of truth here with one caveat: UConn has to adjust their recruiting efforts. Top 50-75 kids are not going to be choosing them from here on out. They need to target and prioritize Top75-200 type players, like Cincy and Wichita State have. If done properly, they can win there, be a Top 25 team, etc.

Downside if that they won't be winning any more National Championships. Honestly, that's okay, theyve won their share (and then some). But those days are over now. New day and age.

The real question is could uconn coach-steal from Rutgers right now?

I'm leaning towards no.
I said this previously Calhoun is going to come out of retirement to save his work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom