As tough as that call on CJ was to take and as much as it bummed me out | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

As tough as that call on CJ was to take and as much as it bummed me out

You're not alone in saying it, so please dont think i am directing this solely at you, but that is pure BS. These kids have been on the opposite end of bad calls before. Its part of the game. They accept it, particularly a senior like fair, who is mellow as it gets.

Now, i think there is more credence that this was Jimmy's statement about SU being here now, and this duke gets every call is not going to stand. Still the wrong time and place to do it though.
There is absolutely no better time to do it. There could not be any more appropriate time. Heat of the game. Screwed repeatedly and this time at the very end and everyone watching and understanding exactly why he was so PO'd.

If done at the presser, fewer are watching and it looks like just sour grapes. Here there is no doubt what set him off.

Folks say the game wasn't over yet but it was a total BS call. Does he wait till the end and take 2/3 more bogus calls? Never, let them know right then and there it was a bad call and we all know it. This was a battle not the entire war. The team knows he is 100% behind them and will not except this home cooking call.

Only thing I might fault JB for is getting T'd up twice.
I'll give him the first one and agree with it totally for the reasons others have mentioned here.
However, if he only gets the 1 T, it just 2 shots and the ball, not 4 shots and the ball.

At that point what the hell is the difference one T or two? They get the ball either way and they took the two points Fair scored away from Syracuse. Great game Dukies and Tony Greene!!!!

OttoMets said:
No need to gang up on the poster because everyone disagrees and/or is disappointed. That said, Boeheim didn't lose control. That was as deliberate as anything he does.

JB did not do that on purpose. It was an immediate reaction not something he thought about and decided it would be a good idea.

As pointed out on the board tonight, JB can't use the post game press conference as his anti ref soap box. If wanted to bring any attention to the shitty deal he got, that was the only way.

This isn't even in the same universe as woody Hayes or bob knights worst moves. It was a legitimate beef with a ref who just took a game away from him.

Boeheim's behavior bummed me out more. It's great to have passion, but it's also not a bad idea to have some self control. It would be a shame if he went out like Knight or Woody Hayes.
1st ejection in 38 years. I would say that is the very definition of self control. Im very docile and I would have given the ref a roundhouse kick tonight.

rrlbees said:
JB did not do that on purpose. It was an immediate reaction not something he thought about and decided it would be a good idea.

Not sure.

The immediate reason sure. But getting on the court that far and yelling at the refs, that's not Jim like to do. He was making a point then.

We had a chance to win. There have always been bad calls in BBall, all the time. It's what drives me nuts about the game, so subjective. I don't see how the refs could have been prejudiced against us, or any other team. One of them is a north country boy raised a Notre Dame and Syracuse fan. Refs blow calls all the time, both ways. We just need to score more points than the other team. Coach needs to control himself and let the players have a chance. It's never over, look at the Pitt game

Ya, I don't get the it was the "wrong time" argument what so ever. If your gonna have a meltdown, I'd say when the refs take the potential game winning points away with 10 seconds left in the game that's pretty much the ideal time to do it no? Hall of famer, second ejection? When the horrendous flagrant 1 is only the 3rd worst call of the game, that's an issue.

We had a chance to win. There have always been bad calls in BBall, all the time. It's what drives me nuts about the game, so subjective. I don't see how the refs could have been prejudiced against us, or any other team. One of them is a north country boy raised a Notre Dame and Syracuse fan. Refs blow calls all the time, both ways. We just need to score more points than the other team. Coach needs to control himself and let the players have a chance. It's never over, look at the Pitt game

it's not the one call that was hard to take, it was the absurdity of ALL the calls going against you that was ridiculous. I get the home cooking thing, truly I do, however when the entire country is talking about the officials the day after a game that's a problem. Refs should get rated, if this was the case none of those 3 would be officiating ANY D1 games ever. Hell, they'd be lucky to ref my son's 5th grade team after that

the game was over on that charge call, for all intensive purposes, that was the 9th team foul. Duke would be inbounding with 10 seconds left assuming we don't get a steal or turnover and foul. They shoot 2 and make at least 1 were looking at a desperation 3 with under 10 seconds left to force OT as best case. With our foul trouble on the front line if that game went to OT we lose.

I didn't have a major problem with the officiating besides the last call. Sure some calls were wrong but that happens in every game.

That foul was game, set, match. JB's double T had zero effect on the outcome of the game and I believe it will show the boys he's got their backs. I have no problem with it.

Thankfully our players don't give up as easily as you do with your point of view. The call sucked but the game was clearly not over.

Thankfully our players don't give up as easily as you do with your point of view. The call sucked but the game was clearly not over.

Hall of Famer Jim Boeheim disagrees with you

(I'm also on the other side of this line with the depth debate. Just wanted to try it once)

We did have a chance and the ref did in fact totally blow the final call. No excuse for getting that obvious a call completely wrong. We would have more points if the idiot hadn't taken them away from us. If you even vaguely think we didn't get screwed throughout the entire second half, I suggest you replay it and count the number of times Jay Bilas questioned the no calls on our end of the court vs the phantom and tickytack calls on their end. Jay is a Duke grad who was commenting on the contact and yet no calls against Duke. Even the eternal Duke lover, Dick Vitale, stated the obvious on the last BS call. How much more evidence do you really need? Most people knew that was an "and 1" live. Then replays very clearly show not only the sliding foot of the so called "stationary defender" but most certainly and easily seen live the fact CJ scissored around the side of the Duke player. The feet are hard to determine. Two large sized BB players not colliding does not even need the replay.

Many are pointing to the "new rules" as solidifying JB's position. The hell of it is, under the "old rules" it would have been a block. Feet not set, then the offensive player sliding by the side of the defender. The "new Rules" only make it far more ridiculous.

But given the fact you obviously know of one of the refs, it explains your defending the incompetence. Geography is totally irrelevant to the immensely bad job the refs did last night. All refs know someone, the good ones as well as the incompetent ones. Point is some cave under pressure and some do not. Cowardice in the face of the home crowd and coach K or weakness of mind is more likely than any prejudices coming in. I will give you that much.

Jim Carey still had a shot with the hot lady, Loren Holly, in "Dumb & Dumber". It was one in a million, but it was still a shot. He too was happy with those odds.

Precisely. There was over 10 seconds left. They had the ball. We had 9 fouls.

Jim Carey still had a shot with the hot lady, Loren Holly, in "Dumb & Dumber". It was one in a million, but it was still a shot. He too was happy with those odds.

Did you seriously compare his behavior to Bobby Knight? The only thing he has in common with Bobby Knight is that they are two of the most educated analysts of the game of basketball and two of the most respected people to commentate on the game. One ejection in 38 years is not going to do anything at all to his legacy as a coach. And JB does very little that is not somewhat calculated. This was not just an overeaction to a moment in the game. When someone who has not done this in 38 years does it, you may want to listen to what he has to say. There was a message in all of this.

Hall of Famer Jim Boeheim disagrees with you

(I'm also on the other side of this line with the depth debate. Just wanted to try it once)

Well then that settles that.

the game was over on that charge call, for all intensive purposes, that was the 9th team foul. Duke would be inbounding with 10 seconds left assuming we don't get a steal or turnover and foul. They shoot 2 and make at least 1 were looking at a desperation 3 with under 10 seconds left to force OT as best case. With our foul trouble on the front line if that game went to OT we lose.
'all intensive purposes'??? That's a good one.