Ashton | Syracusefan.com

Ashton

kcsu

Living Legend
He wants to play on the O side of the ball so lets agree for the sake of this post that he will remain on O for Syracuse. There are four positions that he can play and i will give my two cents on each with a recomendation at the end for him.

QB: According to the coaches Ash is our best Ath on O. I have never seen him throw the ball other than on film so i cant speak to his passing but he cant be much worse than Ryan who i consider to be a thrower not a passer and the fact that the D would have to account for him each play will only make things easier for the TE's and WR's. He is in my opinion a true duel threat and one who i can see creating many positive plays for us out of nothing. Grade B+

RB: I just dont see it. Sure he has good vision and decent speed and power but his build just doesnt lend itself to an every down back and i believe that he is bound to get hurt. Grade D

WR: Slot. This is a good spot for Ash not the best in my mind but it gives the staff a chance to get him the ball in space which is where he is best. I believe he has decent hands and that they will get better over time. He lacks flat out speed but is extremely quick for a big person. His strength will not allow him to be jammed at the line so he should be able to get free. His size will also allow him to use his body across the middle and on curls. He should be a redzone monster. He is quick, tall, strong, and athletic. Grade B+

TE: Long term especially if he wants to play in the NFL this is his best position. I had a chance like many on this board to see him up close at the spring game. He is huge and if he wanted to could add 25 pound of muscle to his frame which would put him in the 6-4 250-260 pound range. I doubt that he would lose any speed and he would be a nightmare match up. Grade A*

*long term post college.

I believe that the best two spots for Ash for Syracuse are QB and Slot WR. If it were my call i would do everything to put him under center as i believe he can change a game from that position. Obviously if he cant pass or handle the position mentally than that is a different story. My next position for him would be in the Slot as a hybrid wr/te. I truly hope that the staff gives this kid a chance under center as i think he will shine.

Although it has been a very small sample I think many here are way overrating this kid. Anyone watch the freshman onMaryland yesterday.

He wants to play on the O side of the ball so lets agree for the sake of this post that he will remain on O for Syracuse. There are four positions that he can play and i will give my two cents on each with a recomendation at the end for him.

QB: According to the coaches Ash is our best Ath on O. I have never seen him throw the ball other than on film so i cant speak to his passing but he cant be much worse than Ryan who i consider to be a thrower not a passer and the fact that the D would have to account for him each play will only make things easier for the TE's and WR's. He is in my opinion a true duel threat and one who i can see creating many positive plays for us out of nothing. Grade B+

RB: I just dont see it. Sure he has good vision and decent speed and power but his build just doesnt lend itself to an every down back and i believe that he is bound to get hurt. Grade D

WR: Slot. This is a good spot for Ash not the best in my mind but it gives the staff a chance to get him the ball in space which is where he is best. I believe he has decent hands and that they will get better over time. He lacks flat out speed but is extremely quick for a big person. His strength will not allow him to be jammed at the line so he should be able to get free. His size will also allow him to use his body across the middle and on curls. He should be a redzone monster. He is quick, tall, strong, and athletic. Grade B+

TE: Long term especially if he wants to play in the NFL this is his best position. I had a chance like many on this board to see him up close at the spring game. He is huge and if he wanted to could add 25 pound of muscle to his frame which would put him in the 6-4 250-260 pound range. I doubt that he would lose any speed and he would be a nightmare match up. Grade A*

*long term post college.

I believe that the best two spots for Ash for Syracuse are QB and Slot WR. If it were my call i would do everything to put him under center as i believe he can change a game from that position. Obviously if he cant pass or handle the position mentally than that is a different story. My next position for him would be in the Slot as a hybrid wr/te. I truly hope that the staff gives this kid a chance under center as i think he will shine.
I would love to see him add the 25-30 pounds you mentioned and give him a shot at MLB.

I realize your prefaced your analysis by pointing out that AB wants to play "O", but I think he'd be a beast at LB.

I have never seen him throw the ball other than on film so i cant speak to his passing but he cant be much worse than Ryan

I stopped reading after that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I like him as a "slash" player with a legit QB next to him. But you've got to use him like that. Have him run ahlfback options where he can run or throw. Hand off to him and throw it to him. But him in the "stallion". Don't put him on the bench, (altho9ugh what is happening at the moment is probably his own fault.)

*long term post college.

I can't imagine the coaches see him at QB. If they did, I would have to think they would be RSing him this year with his nose in the playbook all year long.

I think he needs to be at TE or the slot. He may not have the top end speed that some other elite guys in D1 have at that position, but his quickness, wiggle and field vision do him well enough to succeed in open space. Plus, his size usually means he is getting yards after first contact.

Schiano gave Marrone the blue print with his use of Sanu. I am tired of SU being undersized at every position. He is 6'4" 230, runs in the 4.5s. The kid is an uncut diamond.

He should have been playing WR from day one, and he should dominating corners and safeties, occasionally taking direct snaps.

I understand the rationale for putting him at RB (we have a pretty solid, if unspectacular, top 4 wideouts). But if that was the case, he should have been redshirted and groomed to take the ACC by storm next year. He is never going to be an every down running back here (smith and gulley are pretty okay, and morris is waiting in the wings - McFarlane should have stayed at safety but i digress). If he doesnt get more run, it is a completely wasted year from both game-in game-out use and long-term development perspectives.

All of that being said, if Marrone truly felt Broyld was in a log jam at offensive position, he should have been moved to MIKE day one. I have no doubt he absolutely would have dominated there.

In short, using him as an undersized TE is a complete waste of his God given ability, particularly with Thompson and Parris also in the class.

I stopped reading after that.

Bees do you really think that Ryan is a good passer? and please dont give me his stats.

Bees do you really think that Ryan is a good passer? and please dont give me his stats.

He is an above average college passer, will get a look at by the NFL and right now infinitely better passing the ball than Brolyd.

You said, at worst Brolyd is as good.

The comparison I want Broyld to end up as is Kenny Britt (on the field, not off that is). Similar size and speed.

He is an above average college passer, will get a look at by the NFL and right now infinitely better passing the ball than Brolyd.

You said, at worst Brolyd is as good.

Good point i stand corrected. I do believe that Ash would be a more productive QB than Ryan. Being able to buy time would make all of the difference with our recievers who have a difficult time getting open. An extra second or two combined with the D having to shadow Ash would be huge and would more than make up for a lack of accuracy on Ash part not that i think that Ryan is very accurate. Again without seeing him throw in a game situation i have no idea and we may never know.

Good point i stand corrected. I do believe that Ash would be a more productive QB than Ryan. Being able to buy time would make all of the difference with our recievers who have a difficult time getting open. An extra second or two combined with the D having to shadow Ash would be huge and would more than make up for a lack of accuracy on Ash part not that i think that Ryan is very accurate. Again without seeing him throw in a game situation i have no idea and we may never know.
If I could a dbl, triple, quadruple "like" for your post I would. You're exactly right the kids abilities put a team in a better position to win if he was to be put at Qb, this in just the way you note.

Put you're mind at ease, the kid can make EVERY throw, seen it up close from the sideline in the NYS championship game both in pregame and during. I watched in pregame and wondered aloud if he could make the throws in game situations. He could and did. Wondered aloud if he could make the reads and checkdowns, he did. Wondered aloud if he had the smarts not to make the bad throws when things weren't there and he did not, rather he used his TOP FLIGHT athleticism to more times then not make something out of nothing.

I knew in short order that at some place, and was hoping that some place was us, he'd be an elite player with someone who would give him a chance at the qb position. People want to know if he'll be more of the Geno Smith, Cam Newton type or more the BJ Daniels type. I'm here to tell you that he'll likely be more the former than the latter. Smith really just became smith this year and maybe toward the end of last after his learning on the job.

AB would likely be in this mold. But no question he'd be a good to great multiple threat Qb who gives you so many options. I say this not just from an idle fans perspective but of someone who for nearly 30 years now stays connected with football from Div.3 to 1 with coaches and friends alike. Having done some recruiting early on for my alma mater where you do talent evaluation and talking with other connections still in coaching at all levels this was and is the consensus on this kid.

Some talent transcends from and to whatever level they play at or will play at and I'm hear to tell you that if given enough reps this kid WILL perform at a good to great level. Athletes like this need reps to make great things happen. And right now he's not getting nearly enough for whatever the reason is. I get it and agree that if an until we're no longer bowl eligible then it's Ryans show, but if we get to 7 losses then, as I've said many times now, if this coach doesnt have a death wish (assuming theres no off the field issue happening) he needs to give this kid a shot.

Tone down the playbook in that scenario or whatever it takes because my fear now is that if it doesn't happen here the kid moves elsewhere and does it there.

Although it has been a very small sample I think many here are way overrating this kid. Anyone watch the freshman onMaryland yesterday.
Diggs was a top-10 national recruit. He'd be doing that anywhere in the country right now.

youre key line is "small sample". Athletes like this need reps. Lots of them to allow every 5 or 6 plays something great to happen. Just the way it is. No one here has seen him enough to conclude he's overrated, especially since he played NOT ONE PLAY at his natural position at qb. Give it time, that is if they ever play him enough.

I vote for WR. We have been undersized in that position for awhile. Need a play maker in the receiving corps that can over match cornerbacks. Jury is still out as a QB. Not sure he even started at Milford. Fun to debate, but the staff see him up close and probably have formed an opinion on this already.

If I could a dbl, triple, quadruple "like" for your post I would. You're exactly right the kids abilities put a team in a better position to win if he was to be put at Qb, this in just the way you note.

Put you're mind at ease, the kid can make EVERY throw, seen it up close from the sideline in the NYS championship game both in pregame and during. I watched in pregame and wondered aloud if he could make the throws in game situations. He could and did. Wondered aloud if he could make the reads and checkdowns, he did. Wondered aloud if he had the smarts not to make the bad throws when things weren't there and he did not, rather he used his TOP FLIGHT athleticism to more times then not make something out of nothing.

I knew in short order that at some place, and was hoping that some place was us, he'd be an elite player with someone who would give him a chance at the qb position. People want to know if he'll be more of the Geno Smith, Cam Newton type or more the BJ Daniels type. I'm here to tell you that he'll likely be more the former than the latter. Smith really just became smith this year and maybe toward the end of last after his learning on the job.

AB would likely be in this mold. But no question he'd be a good to great multiple threat Qb who gives you so many options. I say this not just from an idle fans perspective but of someone who for nearly 30 years now stays connected with football from Div.3 to 1 with coaches and friends alike. Having done some recruiting early on for my alma mater where you do talent evaluation and talking with other connections still in coaching at all levels this was and is the consensus on this kid.

Some talent transcends from and to whatever level they play at or will play at and I'm hear to tell you that if given enough reps this kid WILL perform at a good to great level. Athletes like this need reps to make great things happen. And right now he's not getting nearly enough for whatever the reason is. I get it and agree that if an until we're no longer bowl eligible then it's Ryans show, but if we get to 7 losses then, as I've said many times now, if this coach doesnt have a death wish (assuming theres no off the field issue happening) he needs to give this kid a shot.

Tone down the playbook in that scenario or whatever it takes because my fear now is that if it doesn't happen here the kid moves elsewhere and does it there.

I really like your post, cuseregular. Would prefer to see AB be given a legitimate shot at QB, given what the impact that a playmaker quarterback can have at the collegiate level.

I don't see him as having enough pure speed to be a full time WR. Don't see him as a full time RB, either--too tall.

And I don't read anything into him not playing QB this year being indicative of him not having a future there. The team needed playmakers and needs to win NOW. Therefore, they've tried to find ways to get Broyld onto the field. I do agree that his development at QB may be hindered by not playing there full time, not redshirting with his nose in the playbook for a year, etc. But on the other hand he's getting PT, he's learning how to prepare every week to play, etc. which will be of benefit to him.

Will be interesting to see how his career plays out. Not suggesting by any means that he's a sure thing at QB, just that I'd like to see him spend this offseason focused on that position, and let the chips fall where they may.

After having conversations with people close to the program, Broyd is not going to be a quarterback at SU. They are all hoping that Zach will step in an be able to start. That scares the hell out of me. Starting the ACC with a rookie QB is a disaster waiting to happen, but I feel the staff thinks there isn't anyone else.

After having conversations with people close to the program, Broyd is not going to be a quarterback at SU. They are all hoping that Zach will step in an be able to start. That scares the hell out of me. Starting the ACC with a rookie QB is a disaster waiting to happen, but I feel the staff thinks there isn't anyone else.
prediction then if that's true. AB will transfer, become a star and we'll all be saying What. And we'll have a new coach by then too.

BTW why not, what was said. Not athletic enough? Not true. Not a good enough arm? not the case, so I'd imagine they're trying to be diplomatic that they don't think he can't fully grasp the playbook or all the required nuances of the position to the extent needed. I can tell you Geno Smith was no rocket scientist either but learned and grew into the position. So what do you hear?

If its because they're putting all their marbles on a incoming Freshman saviour qb then that troubles me even more

I would love to see him add the 25-30 pounds you mentioned and give him a shot at MLB.

I realize your prefaced your analysis by pointing out that AB wants to play "O", but I think he'd be a beast at LB.

My vote is middle linebacker as well. Mostly because I have no idea who will play middle linebacker next year.

We have Loeb, Hunt, Allen at QB.

We have Smith, PTG, AAM, Morris, McFarlane at RB.

We have Fundaburke, West, Kobena, Flemming, Foster, Hale, Cornelius, Lewis, Clark at WR.

We have ?? at MLB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very good list of reasons but my number one is we'd finally have some one with athletic ability and size to instill fear into the opposition.

Can AB master the mental side of the position? Unfortunately, that limitation has kept Coker off the two-deep.

*long term post college.

jack of all trades, master of none.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

you worry about him going someplace else and then many want him to play LB which is the reason he would go someplace else

Very good list of reasons but my number one is we'd finally have some one with athletic ability and size to instill fear into the opposition.

Can AB master the mental side of the position? Unfortunately, that limitation has kept Coker off the two-deep.

So we're talking a Vince Young-like Wunderlic score here? Hope Ashton is half as successful.

I don't know why they think the way they do. I had this conversation with MP & CG the weekend Zach visited SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom