Assistant Coach and Lydon | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Assistant Coach and Lydon

While I agree about misspelling players names, that is not the case here. Autocorrect changes the correct spelling to Lyndon. The one that bothers me is calling Chukwu "7-2" or any variation of that. Makes him seem more like a side of beef than a person. I use initials a lot because it is easier, that may irk some people too.
Alright I take it back if it's an autocorrect error. I agree with you on "7'2" -- sorry for the sidetrack.

I don't know why people on this board look for other people on this board to convince them that Lydon is making the right decisioin.

Every single mock has TL going in the first, I'm nt sure what you want us to tell you. He is making the right decision for him and his family - just gotta accept it and move on. Lydon's decision was similar to Ennis' - his stock will not get any higher, he has to go now

I don't know why people on this board look for other people on this board to convince them that Lydon is making the right decisioin.

Every single mock has TL going in the first, I'm nt sure what you want us to tell you. He is making the right decision for him and his family - just gotta accept it and move on. Lydon's decision was similar to Ennis' - his stock will not get any higher, he has to go now

I should not be surprised at this point but its really quite amazing that this point is so elusive to so many.

Just how honest is the evaluation kids get from the NBA combine? I mean, of the all the kids who get invited, not all of them can be / should be told that they have 1st round talent. 2nd rounders get considerably less money and it is not guaranteed, and only like 20% (or less?) get a second contract. So why do kids who are told that they are late 2nd rounders or worse still stay in the draft.

Lydon's situation is very interesting. This draft year is exceptional, which certainly works against him and other fringe talent. If he maintains his high level of play or, god forbid, gets more aggressive, he may find himself several spots higher on the board next year. High risk, high reward for a player like him. Those spots could end up being the difference of another ~$1M+ over the course of his first contract, which may mean a lot to someone who may not have longevity in the league.

Happy to see him go and get his, or come back and do big things. Point is there is a case to be made on both fronts.

Last edited:
as always, thanks much for letting us in on some of this stuff!

Pearl ... Please. This should be old news.

Boeheim told the press this in the JB - Wildhack press briefing. He said that as of 1:00pm that day Lydon had not signed with an agent.

He also said the new hire could be some one with SU roots or it might not be. He pointed to Weaver and Murphy as guys without SU roots as very successful AC's at SU.

But the denizens of the board would prefer an anonymous source (Cuseman4) who talked to his anonymous source. Amazing.

Pearl ... Please. This should be old news.

Boeheim told the press this in the JB - Wildhack press briefing. He said that as of 1:00pm that day Lydon had not signed with an agent.

He also said the new hire could be some one with SU roots or it might not be. He pointed to Weaver and Murphy as guys without SU roots as very successful AC's at SU.

But the denizens of the board would prefer an anonymous source (Cuseman4) who talked to his anonymous source. Amazing.

Hes supplied very very informative stuff in the recruiting board for awhile that very few people would have access too

Lydon's situation is very interesting. This draft year is exceptional, which certainly works against him and other fringe talent. If he maintains his high level of play or, god forbid, gets more aggressive, he may find himself several spots higher on the board next year. High risk, high reward for a player like him. Those spots could end up being the difference of another ~$1M+ over the course of his first contract, which may mean a lot to someone who may not have longevity in the league.

Happy to see him go and get his, or come back and do big things. Point is there is a case to be made on both fronts.
Let's say he came back and played the 3. Let's say he worked on long range 3's, and on his quickness to dribble penetrate and improved markedly. Let's say he provided the leadership to bring SU to the final four or win a NC. Then where would he be drafted after next season.

We have no idea if Tyler will return but it is not far fetched to think that he might. Given his relatively pedestrian offensive performance and the collapse of his team, his stock has probably declined. A year ago White III was told that he needs work and he pulled out. Tyler might hear likewise. Before you all jump in about potential, he possesses neither unusual height or quickness.

The most important point at the moment is that he is going to go through the process and find out where he stands. He isn't going to simply rely on a bunch of media draft projections and ignore what coaches and NBA folks have to say, well maybe he will ultimately ignore what they have to say, but at least he is going to wait to hear what they have to say. I was very disappointed last year that Mal didn't do that, worked out for him I guess, but still don't know why anyone that isn't in the lottery wouldn't go through the process.

Hes supplied very very informative stuff in the recruiting board for awhile that very few people would have access too

My point is that when the head coach makes an unequivocal statement in a Press Conference like "Tyler has not signed with an agent. I just talked to him at 1:00pm this afternoon", we shouldn't have to depend on unnamed sources to get that news. The information had been made public hours or days before hand.

The key is whether he is a Lottery pick or not. There's a huge difference. More than half of the players picked between 20th and 30th are out of the league in three years maximum.

I was very disappointed last year that Mal didn't do that, worked out for him I guess, but still don't know why anyone that isn't in the lottery wouldn't go through the process.
I know you have to be accepted to be allowed to go through the process but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Battle go through it.

If Devo and Wellman are already on staff, what advantage would it pose (the team/JB) to "promote" them - they're already here. Sliding down the bench is a nice thank you, but unless a new title means one of them is suddenly a power recruiter, I don't see how that can happen - not now. For argument's sake, can't either one coach and recruit in their current roles?

Agree with the logic.

On the other hand, he did it with McNamara 6 years ago, so I'm not confident that that sort of thing wouldn't happen again.

Let's say he came back and played the 3. Let's say he worked on long range 3's, and on his quickness to dribble penetrate and improved markedly. Let's say he provided the leadership to bring SU to the final four or win a NC. Then where would he be drafted after next season.

I don't even think its all that, I just think he needs to put on some muscle and be more aggressive.

I don't even think its all that, I just think he needs to put on some muscle and be more aggressive.
That's basically true. I just think that if your going pro because you don't think you can improve your rating by staying, then that seems like a negative feedback to yourself. If your in his position and you play yourself into the player of the year conversation, that would be a change. If a person were to come back, they should really set the bar high and challenge themselves.

Have to say, that would be pretty funny.

And there's Coach Parker, at the end of the bench. In our pre-game meeting with the staff yesterday, they said he's a great recruiter, big in-game drooler, so look to see a lot of that today.
The Nose-Picker and the Drooler...if they cant get any $$ out of Kleenex for a sponsorship, they should both get new agents.

The Nose-Picker and the Drooler...if they cant get any $$ out of Kleenex for a sponsorship, they should both get new agents.

Assign GMac and Red to either the ears, visine up the eyes, or go all in and have a backside itch problem (the kind that can't be solved outside the clothes, don't anyone tell me you don't know what I'm talking about).

We can probably work in a pretty lucrative corporate sponsorship.

That made me smile, and in the past it may have been more true. The good thing is: 1) most moms wont know about Devo's antics, and 2)Regardless if they know of them, Devo is a changed man now, someone who can inspire many folks to change. I think a lot of moms might see that as a benefit.

I offer his Twitter as evidence. Check out the first video in it about "not ever living". A lot of his past tweets were of a spiritually "awake" nature, although now he's gotten more active in exposing the ills of society, somewhat like myself. He certainly seems like a different guy to me: Eric Devendorf (@edeven23) | Twitter (there's a nice podcast interview on there too The SLAM Podcast Episode 43: Eric Devendorf Insightful commentary on kids being more sensitive these days, etc, etc)
My high school basketball coach knew Devo so he came and worked with our team pretty often. Everyone on the team loved him and after talking to him, it was hard to believe he was the same kid who did all that stupid stuff at 'Cuse

The key is whether he is a Lottery pick or not. There's a huge difference. More than half of the players picked between 20th and 30th are out of the league in three years maximum.

LOL keep telling yourself that. How about the 2013 Draft where 13 of the 16 players have played at least 95 games? Or the 2014 draft where 10/16 have done the same? 2012 there is 11/16 who have played in 140 or more games.

Keep just making things up though. Working out well

In what world can you put on more muscle in college than in the NBA

In what world can you put on more muscle in college than in the NBA

Huh, in what world can you not? I could put on 15 pounds of muscle before next season if I wasn't lazy and I really wanted to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom